What does Veeky Forums think? Will this help me escape brainlet-mode?

What does Veeky Forums think? Will this help me escape brainlet-mode?

newscientist.com/article/2128695-hungry-stomach-hormone-promotes-growth-of-new-brain-cells/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RSqO7Q_AK0M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bullshit. Why are Africans so low IQ then?

because they aren't fasting, they're constantly starving

did you think for 5 seconds before you posted?

damn...

There's a difference between intermittent fasting and your body literally eating itself to death, on your developmental stages. But yeah, even if they were fed up properly until adulthood, it's not like they were ever going to shine bright, if that were the case Africa wouldn't be the way we know it to be.

Hunger =/= Malnutrition

I thought this would be just another bs only shows results when you drill a hole through your skull and inject it like the jellyfish protein prevagen but it's not. The hormone can cross the blood brain barrier and hormone administered experiments did show both neuroprotective and behavioral improvements.

However there's a few things. First, the dosage effect sees a U graph in that there is an optimal level and going beyond that leads to finished results. Second, I don't think any research has been done on how to produce this optimal dosing. Would intermittent fasting be too much, just right or not enough for a human? Who knows. Lastly yes this increases brain cell numbers but only in the hippocampus which seems to allow you to learn better during times of optimal dosing. I don't see anything showing it will increase your overall cognitive skills permantly.

tldr. With optimal dosing it seems it can help increasing learning but no one knows if it helps increase your overall cognitive abilities nor what the optimal dose for a human would be or if it could come about from normal or intermittent fasting.

>leads to diminshed results*

I cant fast!

I need an easyer way.

>but only in the hippocampus
>only

Are you implying that's not good enough? the Hippocampus is the main victim of stress & depression. Fixing atrophy on that organ should lend you very sweet results, specially paired with exercise and meditation.

You can also find your own sweet spot by experimenting, go for a day or two without eating and now down how you feel. I am going to start doing this today.

It's not that hard, just drink coffee when you wake up and work on something. Keto diet should work too, so as long as you don't eat more than 600kcalories of 70% fat 30% Protein a day, you should be good.

I really need to start intermittent fasting.

While the advantages seem speculative. There doesn't seem to be any downsides either.

How else do you think they became kangz?

No but I am correcting something that these pop sci articles are going to get wrong. This is not some way to increase the overall neurons leading to greater cognitive abilities but a change in the hippocampus to increase learning potentional.

Also while I've only ready two of the studies so far and very briefly, I did not see anything actually showing results of increased neurogenesis in the hippocampus but rather increased synaptic density. The hippocampus already has neurogenesis going on as it's important for learning but this might not even increase that specifically.

>You can also find your own sweet spot by experimenting, go for a day or two without eating and now down how you feel. I am going to start doing this today.

Let me know how those placebo effects go.

Wouldnt this mean poor people who cant eat a lot would be smarter and more rational on average than rich people?

>increased synaptic density

You don't magically increase synaptic density without creating new neurons, aka. Neurogenesis.

>Let me know how those placebo effects go.

Judging by how bitter you sound, I am starting to think you might be a fatass with zero willpower to try this out, desu.

THICC

Damn so thats why I always feel smarter whenever I'm hungry

I never eat before exams

chew gum eat carrots

I have fasted before and I can sort of confirm the OP. Not saying my anecdotal evidence is enough proof, but it's certainly not bullshit.

youtube.com/watch?v=RSqO7Q_AK0M

13:54

Apart from headaches and general weakness and slowliness

I'll go a day sometimes without eating and all i feel is dumber

You wanna feel smarter? Take adderal
That shit works as long as you remember to eat and dont let yourself get burnt out on it

>You don't magically increase synaptic density without creating new neurons, aka. Neurogenesis.

Not necessarily, simply increased branching from existing neurons would be suffice for increasing synaptic density

>Judging by how bitter you sound, I am starting to think you might be a fatass with zero willpower to try this out, desu.

No, far from it. Hell I use to fast for over 24 hours when I use to cut weight for powerlifting and my current meal times are closer to intermittent fasting due to time constraints so I go 14 hours without a meal most days.

I'm just tired of all the pop sci audience misrepresenting the data and handling it innacurately like in op's article.

Obviously testing if this works in the matter your talking about has so many confounding factors it's pretty much useless. You would be much better off going into the actual papers and comparing doses given to rats to levels seen in their blood from fasting and see if the fasting levels are close in dosage to the injection and at what times. It'll be different for humans for sure but it's a good first start.

We WUZ KANGZ AND SHIT

I keep telling people to skip a meal before a test or job interview, just don't skip so far as to get hypoglycemia. Ghrelin always makes you better for thinking, muscle building, and ravenous hunger. Like if you lose lots of weight really fast and keep it off, you'll have elevated ghrelin levels for up to 2 years. During which time you will be ravenous.

Since highschool, I've been deliberately skipping lunch/dinner because at some point I realized I think with more clarity when I'm hungry.

I do it less often now, and I don't think it makes you smarter, rather it just aids deep thinking a bit. It's a noticeable difference.

Yeah, it is for sharp thinking so you can attain food more efficiently.

No, because a lot of poor people are stupid to begin with so increasing their cognitive ability slightly means they're going to be just slightly above stupid.

>have been doing ghrelin research for several years now
>it's now a pop sci peptide

At least they haven't gotten to GLP1 or UcnI yet

Wait, if smoking weed increases your ghrelin levels, and high ghrelin levels stimulates brain cell growth...

doesn't that mean smoking weed actually makes you smarter?

The ghrelin will apparently stimulate growth in your hippocampus at certain levels, however there's no guarantee that weed will have a net positive effect.

It's entirely possible there are other reactions going on that make you stupider.

I lose weight by starving periodically and I'm still a brainlet that thinks extreme is always good and anecdotal evidence is real.

It's been popsci before when they learned the stuff mentioned in this post like 10+ years ago.

This looks like the text a low IQ would type...

yep that's why you see so many genius stoners around

This also looks like the text a low IQ would type...
While being smart makes you adapt faster & esier to harsh situations, if you get into debts,bankruptcy or other vicious cycles, the streets aren't that far...
"It only happen to the others" mentality,right?

Drink cups of broth when you're hungry. It takes the edge off, and also gratifies 'want food'. I myself /still/ find it difficult though, after a day you may not be hungry but you have a sense of lack, related to food. It's hard to explain. It's good to be distracted by, eg, work if you can.

This would explain why when you eat after you're hungry you feel extremely tired. It's cause your brain is overlocking its gpu and when you finally eat that survival mechanism/ boost in cognition dissipates.

>172 cm
>242 pounds
>137 IQ

so if I loose weight and do sports I'll be more intelligent?

Maybe their "well fed" IQ is not 65 but 50.

>mfw this is a direct endorsement for fasting by the scientific elite

Mashallah... Islam will truly rule the world one day

There was never any doubt desu senpai.

Probably. However stoners are too high to use their intelligence.

Warfare and slavery, like everyone else.

i eat once a day you faggots are weaksauce

this

>Apart from headaches and general weakness and slowliness
what kind of fatass gets headaches because he cant eat for a couple of hours?

I do this too, I dont get how people can say they get headaches and shit because its 1pm and 'they haven't eaten anything since breakfast!'

I eat all my calories in a window of 2h per day, and then get shit for doing it by my family who are all eating 6-8 small meals during the day 'because its healthier' and im killing myself by doing it even though theyre all fat sacks of shit.

Because many Africans don't have any access to schools or education.

How long is intermittent fasting?