Is it too late for me?

So... here's the thing...
I'm 29 years old.

Between 18 and 27 years I did random jobs, lazied about a lot and basically wasted my youth.

Now I'm currently halfway in my way to an Accounting degree which I got suckered into mostly because of parental pressure after getting my shit together.

By the time I graduate I will be 31-32.
But I've realized that I hate Accounting, and that STEM (Biology actually) is what I've loved since I was a kid.

My question... is 32 years old too late to start a STEM career?

Is it worth it? Should I finish my current degree? How much of a difference do those 3 years make?
Or is it too late anyway?

No, it's not too late. My colleague started his degree at 31 and now is pursuing a Ph.D in physics at the age of 35.

Robin Hanson (look him up) managed a mid-30s career change but (a) he was very accomplished in his former field, (b) a genius with an IQ in the high 150s, (c) worked his ass off, and he still *barely* got tenure at a university. It depends what you want to do, of course, but this should give you some idea of the ridiculous hatred for people who try to change paths after their 30s.

I don't pretend to be recognized as a genius or to be offered an university tenure (though that would be nice), I'd just like to know I could make a living in working in the field. Working my ass off ofc.

That's very reassuring to hear, thanks!

Just finish your degree. If you don't have the backbone to successfully see that through, there's no reason to assume you will with biology, either. Do you want to be turn 40 and realize you're a NEET? "Follow your passion" is the worst advice generally given. Its only upside is driving people toward doing SOMETHING.

Don't do what you love, learn to love what you do.

>Don't do what you love, learn to love what you do.
I think you're right, yet I can't bring myslef to do so.

Yeah my first choice is finishing my Accounting degree even though I hate it.
That's why I'm asking if it would be too late *after* I'm done with that.

I think I need to see this through first, I can't afford to lose more years.

???
Why are you answering as me?

Finish what you started. Do biology for fun.

I think you're trying to procrastinate on being locked into a career by waffling around for years in school.
Being unsure enough to ask if it's too late is already a bad sign. If you really _need_ to work in biology and only biology (which isn't really an actual profession without some more adjectives), it doesn't matter if it's "too late" or not. But I think if this was really a childhood passion it wouldn't have taken you 15 years to figure it out.

Get accounting degree and accounting job, you can easily study biology in your spare time if that is your passion. I know a few people who referer their bachelor's in biology, not a huge number of good jobs in the field.

>giving OP false hope with survivorship bias anecdotes

Yeah no...Sorry OP but it is too late. Also its unlikely you'll excel in Biology if you had so much trouble with accounting.

I'm not having trouble with Accounting though, I just dislike it. I started studying little over a year ago and I'm halfway.

Thanks this sounds like good advice.

You may have a point. I guess I wanted some encouragement that's all.

if you can afford the cost of school or if your country covers it, then you're good.

otherwise it's probably a bad financial decision.

Not meaning to be a dick, but do you realistically have the money available to do Biology for "fun"? Can you afford the student loan repayments after graduating?

College in my country is "free".
I'm doing Accounting on a private university though, so I guess that's even more of an incentive to finish this first.

Don't listen to this asshole
Do what you love, there's no point to life anyway and you might as well enjoy all the time you have in this hellhole

Let me guess... Europe? Lucky bastard.

It really doesn't matter if it's too late, cause you don't know either way.

So just do the right thing and try your best. You'll have no regrets, even if you end up working in some random lab, because you're still doing something fun and useful for society.

I'm starting my STEM career at the age of 22 after literally wasting 4.5 years of my life being a lazy fuck and trust me it's super fun and completely worth it!

Argentina actually

STEM public colleges here have a great reputation but they are a bureaucratic nightmare in many respects..

It is never to late, but the earlier the better really. You need to get your 10k hours of experience in the sooner the better.

>25 storefronts later I can post!

>My question... is 32 years old too late to start a STEM career?

It's never too late as long as you keep good care of yourself. Your biggest priority shouldn't be "is it too late?" but instead should be "How do I keep myself in optimum health so that I can take advantage of opportunity?"

Worst case scenario, you can just join the military as an officer.

But becoming cognizant of life strategy at an older age means that you have to be cognizant of life strategy in your tactics. You have to be smarter, stronger, and more experienced than your peers. Which means taking care of diet and exercise (preferably weight-lifting/resistance training).

You don't want to be an old faggot who has to use a walking stick at 65.

>College in my country is "free".
You are just wasting your own time after all.

It's not like that is worth anything. Or is it?