Science fuckups

>work as an R&D scientist in a small startup
>spend months trying to get something to work
>finally get it to look like its working
>boss is super happy
>do one tiny experiment that singlehandedly disproves everything I've done including the foundation for the work in the first place
>haven't shown boss yet

fug

pls

send help

Science is about test and mistakes, show the true is part of our job, do it better next time

This technology I am working on is my boss' baby. Every time I show him a flaw with it he spergs out on me and says I am wrong. Should I just get a new job?

Can you pass me some info? Whut is the experiment supposed to do?

Shit start with that part, now I can comprehend the enthusiasm of your boss, well my brother worked in an R&D and wasn't a surprise when he decide to left and work in a different area, this kind of work are very frustrator, just show to your boss and if shit go wild, go for a new one

It is a method for detecting something and is run similar to an ELISA or a Crystal Violet assay, if you are familiar with those.

So what, it gives false positives or something? Its possible your method could still work for some types of analyte besides those which your experiment disproved. It can't be entirely wrong and even if it is you still gained some practical info.

Yeah start looking for a new job though.

say the disproving experiment is a transgression and do new experiments until it says you are correct,

Increasing the presence of X resulted in an increased signal, but only sometimes.

Then I realized the order that the well were being scanned had an impact.

Then yesterday, I filled the wells with water and realized the signal was 100% dependent on where the wells are located on the plate.

Good luck finding a new job user and thanks for making me chuckle .

Now that you figured out the signal is 100% dependent on where the wells are located on the plate, isn't it possible to subtract this out as noise, and retest the procedure for a more accurate representation? If the procedure works in theory then the only thing that happened is the noise is dominating over your signal. If you get rid of the noise then the actual signal should appear...If not then there must be something wrong with the theory (which is actually a good thing to discover). If the procedure you use has no foundation in theory, then why the fuck are you using it?

>Now that you figured out the signal is 100% dependent on where the wells are located on the plate, isn't it possible to subtract this out as noise, and retest the procedure for a more accurate representation?

This is pretty much what I have been doing for the past month

>If the procedure works in theory then the only thing that happened is the noise is dominating over your signal. If you get rid of the noise then the actual signal should appear...If not then there must be something wrong with the theory (which is actually a good thing to discover).

>If the procedure you use has no foundation in theory, then why the fuck are you using it?

It is based on the work of a single fucking college intern that got """good""" results by using an extremely small sample size and manipulating the data to look good.

My boss then latched on to his results like they were the greatest thing on earth, and is extremely persistent on getting me to repeat the results.

I designed my own experiments to reach the same ends, but they never worked. It wasn't until I repeated it the same exact shitty way the other guy did it that I got "acceptable" results.

I am so fucking mad jesus christ

What does it detect?

He probably signed a contract for nondisclosure.

So if he hells you he's REALLY fired.

Hell even what principle he's attempting to test could be valuable information to test, just the abstract is enough to fuck shit up.

Consider if I'm a company, and now I know that xyz isn't really feasable, then I know what not to do for my own teams.

This, I can't really describe more than what I've said already

>It is based on the work of a single fucking college intern that got """good""" results by using an extremely small sample size and manipulating the data to look good.
Damn that sucks, but is there no theory to check it against other than this one person's experiment? For example, try asking yourself WHY the signal depends on the location of the well on the plate. It could lead to some insight about the technology or the theory behind it. I realize that you are working on this project right now and it would be compromising to give out too much info, but giving a few more details about the experiment like could help us to help you.

I think I am going to try it with a whole seperate plate, and scan the wells that are in the same corresponding positions to normalize them.

I was doing normalizations before, but it didnt take the positions into account.

Thanks user, I will report back

>I was doing normalizations before, but it didnt take the positions into account.
Try this, I really think it could make a difference. Good luck, don't get fired.

True capitalism has never been tried

OP here, just met with my boss.

I prepped a pretty comprehensive powerpoint to explain everything and stayed calm. I explained what I planned to do to try and fix things, including what suggested.

He was extremely understanding and rational about it. "Better you found the problem now then a year further into the work." He suggested a few more solutions, and everything went very smoothly.

Huge weight off my shoulders. Whew.

Thanks Veeky Forums!

Two funny random details I figure I would mention:
1) The well plates I am using cost over $40 each
2) The first words out of my boss' mouth when he saw the data was "oh... Shit..." (and he NEVER curses)

this

You should report back at some point and tell everyone if you cracked it or bunked it and give a link to the archive.

People like to hear back and see if other people on the board are doing well.

nope the fuck out

who the hell makes a biotech startup based on the results of one paper.

Seize the means of production from your capitalist exploiter.

I'll try to remember

The startup is by no means based on my work. I'm like the side project guy. We actually don't even need investors because of how successful the main project is.

>Bachelor thesis
>Develop models most of semester
>Didn't write shit
>Can't force words out
>Deadline may 15th
Fuck