STEM = Science, Technology, Engineering, Math

STEM = Science, Technology, Engineering, Math

Economics = Math

Therefore, economics is STEM.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_of_death_(Italy)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Stink
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Economics = Math
That's where you're wrong

>Economics = Math
No, it's a social science, i.e. not a science.

Econometrics = Math.

Economics = 'no one will take us seriously so let's calculate consumer surplus as the area of the triangle underneath the demand and supply curves'

Just because the math is more basic doesn't mean it's not math. Additionally, you must know calculus to go into any economics program, it is very important.

>t. took an introductory course and thinks he knows the whole field

I use math when I'm shopping so therefore shopping is STEM

And just because economics use math doesn't make economics a sub-field of math. Marketing majors use math; political scientists use math; etc. Yet I wouldn't consider these fields to be math.

It is a science, the only problem is that people and politicians don't like the conclusions it comes up with so they ignore it. It is scientifically proven if you want the most efficient distribution of resources among a population, a free market is what you want.

The issue is that system is *too* efficient and pays no attention to whether people starve or blow themselves up or not. To the market, a human starving is just an inefficient node being pruned. That is why we need regulation, but the overall fact that free markets work doesn't change.

>we need regulation
communist get out

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_of_death_(Italy)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Stink

>anarcho-capitalism

ideologues gtfo

discuss economics NOT economic ideology

one uses positive statements, the other is just /pol/ tier arguing

>economics != rigorous math
>implying... economics !=STEM
>QED

I'm not using ideology dipshit, I just said it is scientifically proven free markets are the most efficient but we need regulation and taxes for ethical reasons.

Yes, Economics is the "dismal science" because it blends the predictability of hard math with the unpredictability of huamn behaviour. (Which can nevertheless be predicted within certain parameters)

This is true as well but not in the sense you mean. Politicians ignore Economists when everything is going swell, they'd rather raise spending, lower taxes and not rock the boat so that they can cruise their way to an easy reelection.

Then when everything goes to shit they come crying expecting the economists to magically fix everything, but usually the adjustments are much more painful when they are not corrected on time. So people blame the economists for the pain.

The layman ignores that economic policies take years until you can feel their full impact.

People love taking money from the treasury but hate putting it back.

Most legislation regulating markets might come from a sense of morality, but completely unregulated markets are not optimal by default

unregulated markets eventually lead to externalities that impose costs on third parties for which they aren't compensated

It leads to exhaustion of public goods that leaves everyone worse of in the long run (prisoners dilemma)

Do you study economics?

Good post.

I agree with you, monopolies, oligopolies and a poor rule of law are considered detrimental to market efficiency.

A strong Rule of Law that guarantees property rights, checks and balances, atomization and better access to information, low-ish taxes, efficient spending and a clear regulatory environment should be the goal of any capitalist government, not blind anarcho-capitalism.

So economics is to math as psychology is to science?

No.

Economics is to Math what Meteorology is to Physics would be a more accurate comparison.

Ok, gotcha

This is one of the smartest things i ever read

>To the market, a human starving is just an inefficient node being pruned.

I see nothing wrong with this. It's just another selective factor.

Is there something wrong with me?

No, you're just thinking logically

What's the most math heavy economics textbooks?

As far as textbooks go, Mas-Collel (and Whinston and Green) is the go-to for economics PhDs, so a second-year undergrad with strong mathematical training should be able to read it without too much effort (I had a game theory course taught from it).