University thread?

University thread?

MS EE student here.

UT Austin. Physics Year 1

UC Santa Cruz
Graduating in June.
Math
About to start my master's at same place in applied math.

Love this place, but I feel like the departments are so small I can't choose to study outside what they give. I might not stay here for PhD, even though the applied math dept has already offered me a place.

Anyone know a place with good functional analysis?

Sick i LOVE ecology and evolution

1st year CE here

>Freshman Physics and Nanoscience

Anyone else here a retarded bostonian? This school makes me feel like a brainlet.
3rd year Nuclear Engineering.
>Pls no engiqueer memes

UCF biomed! This school is too big

Just got accepted to the Genetics PhD program at Duke. Very excited.

UTD
2nd year EE

why not regular UT? Money? not wanting to be around naked homeless?

>tfw denied from graduate school twice

Should I end myself or go find work?

If you work for a few years while studying for the GRE you'll be in much better shape. Don't give up hope.

Money. I could have gone to UT for full tuition, but I got a full ride at UTD. The choice was obvious lol

1st Year EE

Probably the most autistic school in the world

Mb

NYU, Mathematics, rising freshman

>rising freshman

Interesting phrasing. Excited for college? Is your mommy sad that you're leaving?

Yes and is indifferent

Any piggots from KCL here?

Computer Science, BSc

congrats

After 6 long years at community college, I am finally able to tranfer out. I got accepted to UCSD wooohoooo.

Thank you.

Congratulations!

Nice job user

congrats, man, if I ever call you a piggot on Veeky Forums treat it as a compliment

Colorado School of Mines

coorstek is coming together nicely... lots of glass

same

shiny diploma user? I'm curious, what exactly do you do? Is it some kind of geology?

>Colorado School of Mines
ayy lmao, i'm graduating in 15 days. just finished off Trade Fair for senior design.

Mines is not really geology/mining specific anymore. Just generic engineering. We even offer economics as a major.

I'm currently undeclared, somehow, but learning towards mech e I think

you go to the concert? I heard it was ass

fireworks were neat tho

i've never gone to E-days. i live in capitol hill so i hit up all the hipster places on Colfax. i'd shoot myself if i lived in Golden.

Ucla

What's so bad about Golden?
Too late, I suppose. Already got a Mines Park apt for next semester

>What's so bad about Golden?
NO GIRLS
O

G
I
R
L
S

fuck pussy! *enters his own brain, destroys the concept of pussy, liberates himself*

I am free nigga. Free to do anything. Tonight I will not fap.

well yeah, you're gonna because Mines is 70%+ dudes.

how do people even get in to a school like that...

Anyone from Caltech here,
I'm curios if it's worth applying for?

[math]\mathcal{Florida} \mathbb{BOYS}[/math] where we at?
Starting the grad math program in the fall

gj lad keep it up

>school on top of a canadian tire

that's true, I suppose. Females at mines can be a weird bunch.

Supposedly next year's freshman class might be 65-35...

but what about tomorrow?

i was 9 in a class of 610 and i am in one of the stranger sports that they do. The nonivy "ivy" schools pretty much require perfection or really good+a sport. I didnt
do to well outside of the class room with groups, just my one weird sport and decet grades and standardized tests.

You won't get in

let's do an inductive proof, I'll never fap today and tomorrow will become a today If I convince myself to never fap today I will never fap ever again and I will actually do this, I actually thought about envisioning pussy as a concept as the most basic idea possible in my brain and I destroyed it mentally. I will live my life for my own personal happiness and success fuck pussy, man. I annihilated it mentally.

gimme whatever drugs you're on bro

> You need to play sports and take foreign language classes to get into a high tier engineering school

I wonder what goes through the mind of these people...

>grad physics

You're saying i'm wrong? I'm literally in the school.... How else would you differentiate among a group of people that by all other metrics are carvon copies. +/- .5 points on the ACT and +/-20 on the new version of the SAT really don't give them much to work with.

Those are the people they have a tough time deciding to admit. The ones they orgasm over are the ones who do cool ass projects for the major they're interested in and go all out just for that specific subject.
t. Poor man who couldn't afford the school and studied overseas

What would you need to get admitted to Caltech?

I believe it's fairly similar to MIT besides the abundance of extra curriculars. i.e.
33+ act 1500+ act and something on there to show you didnt just jackoff in highschool like a programmin club or math club

You need to be a gender-fluid, POC, and get a 4.5 GPA. Finding the cure to cancer at age 12 would help too.

I just accepted to go for the Metallurgical and Materials Engineering program
I'm gonna study abroad and get some cute and tight Asian pussy
Guess I'll fap when I'm stuck on campus

What are my chances if my german school had no extra curriculars, except for some small weather ballon project in sophomore year?

i honestly have no idea how german schools translate to USA so i have no idea. Did you take US standardized tests for college?

>taking physics at UT

why. the physics department here sucks

ut austin here as well, but aerospace engineering

i meme, but Mines isn't that bad so long as you aren't a total sperg like the vast majority of the male student body. its weird because the autismo's are pretty much invisible to the women on campus so while the ratio is technically 70/30, the effective ratio when you cut out all the turbo uggo's and unlovable hobgoblins is pretty much 50/50.

CSM is eccentric as fuck, but also extremely comfy at the same time.

33+/1500+ ACT/SAT (beyond that it doesn't matter), 3.8+ uwGPA, accomplish something.
The last one is the biggest one because most people can't quite get that part and instead waste their time on dumb shit like building houses in Guatemala over spring break. This applies for every T-20 school although you can get in without doing this, it just becomes a bigger crapshoot if you don't.

As an example, I have 2 friends who applied to Cornell with essentially equal high stats (35 ACT, 3.85+ GPA). The 1st one got in and the 2nd one was essentially rejected. The first one applied for CS in CAS, and in his free time he made several apps including one that was pretty successful and made him money. The other one was just a captain of the sports team and did shit like serving at the soup kitchen.

You need to be more like the 1st friend than the 2nd friend to get into schools like these. They are looking for people who will probably be leaders in the future, people who don't just have initiative but prove they do.

I'm not saying that you're wrong...

It seems like they should look for the kids this user talks about instead of chads who play school sports and take a class to study for the SAT.

Also perfect GPA IMO doesn't mean much. In public highschools, you can't really guarantee that the class isn't total garbage. I know this from experience.

Another thing that has always bothered me is how schools like this have a perfect 50/50 gender ratio... I know none of my engineering classes in highschool did, and engineering schools that don't cherry pick for gender usually don't

But what do I know I didn't get in to MIT

I'm finishing HS next year.
Also I would guess the german HS degree to be allowed to study at university equals at least the first 2-3 semesters at a american college.

>Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering from Georgia Tech
Soon. Very soon.

Oh i misread what you were implying then.
>In public highschools you can't rely guarantee that the class isn't total garbage.
god this is so true. This leads higher coeges to have to esentially blacklist districts and schools which is both more fair to everyone else but unfair to the students of that school who actually do well. My school was a fair bit disliked by the Ivy schools so almost no one got accepted. The only way i saved myself from that was to take 14 total ap class in highschool and it was a terrible experience.
The gender thing is like trying to pull out a weed by the leaf. There is a genuine problem with the genders and the stigma on sciences tho but it starts in primary schools and these moronic quotas only exacerbate the problem because people are more likely to think a woman/black/mexican person got to where they are because of quota. This then leads to more racism/sexism all over. America is fucked up

Also is a Asperger diagnosis in any way helpful?

>Also I would guess the german HS degree to be allowed to study at university equals at least the first 2-3 semesters at a american college.
You'd be wrong.

looks like your major program's down to number three now, brainlet

>Also I would guess the german HS degree to be allowed to study at university equals at least the first 2-3 semesters at a american college.
"no"
thats just not how it works. Assuming German high school is at a higher quality than American, you will probably be at the same level as the other students who had taken very advanced courses in high schools.

I am not that user so I will address your other post about your chances

To be short, unless that small weather balloon project was some substantial research you have a very low chance at going to Caltech, or any schools of its tier. You are welcome to try as the only thing you lose is your application fee. You simply need to have done things other than study, your school not offering ECs doesn't mean much to them because you should have done things outside of school in order to appeal to them. If you have the numerical grades for those schools (equivalent of 3.85+ GPA and 33+ ACT/1500+_SAT) then you can have solid chances at good unis such as UMichigan, NYU, and the Boston trio of BU/BC/NEU.

CompE reporting in

Grad ranking is #2 this year but nobody gives a fuck lmao

UIUC is extremely good at Engineering dw
they are just utter shit at everything else

Joint-Honours Math/Comp Sci
2nd year

I know a literal cuck that goes there
pretty strange place
wouldn't recommend

> There is a genuine problem with the genders and the stigma on sciences tho but it starts in primary schools

Not sure why you would think that... Primary schools are as PC as anywhere else.

The tendencies of some fields to become gender polarized one way or another isn't something that needs to change.

The lack of women in engineering isn't because of sexism it's because they choose other professions when they are given the ability to choose. I see nothing unjust about that.

the discrepancy in engineering in academia is only amplified by the discrepancy in industry.

many women burn the fuck out in their first year out of school.

How hard would it be to smooth talk your way in?

>How hard would it be to smooth talk your way in?

about a couple million dollars in donations hard.

There is no scientific basis that men are better at math and women are better at english yet on a large scale in our culture we view STEM fields as more masculin and nonSTEM as more feminine. Thats what leads people to choose more in one way or the other.

That being said i am not one for PC bullshit like le PAYGAP and crap like that. Im just trying to say that we put undue problems on ourselves when we genderize these fields. It doesnt HAVE TO change either which way but its just a part of society that we dont need. There isnt any scientific reason why men are disuaded from nursing and women from engineering.

I usually get through my engineering classes because none of it is totally new to me. I've known I wanted to be an engineer since I was 10 and had already been deeply involved/interested in my field for years when I got to college.

So why would women burn out in their first year? Because they are given a rougher treatment then men? No.

Electrical Engineering, 1st year. Any SUNY fags here?

>I've known i wanted to be an engineer since i was 10
thats what the discussion us really about. You were pushed ever so slightly to be in favor of the STEM fields while women are pushed away. Its a statistical fact that when people are told they are breaking the norm by doing something that they are more likely to quit it.
Also if we got rid of such a societal gap then there wouldnt be retarded liberuls constantly pushing for moronic quotas

You can't, you need the right blood in your veins as well as the money in the family

If you want to go to a great american uni, go to a German Uni and apply for grad school which will honestly be more what you are looking for. Just do fantastic and get research done.

Sophomore EE here

Hoping to specialize in photonics and nano after finding optics/waves to be the most engaging class all year.

Sometimes wonder if I should have done Physics or MatSci, but I already washed up in this major after fleeing CS.

?

Not that guy but UT Austin is a top-15 physics school

>fleeing from cs

explain yourself

> There is no scientific basis that men are better at math and women are better at english yet on a large scale in our culture we view STEM fields as more masculin and nonSTEM as more feminine

You can't make this argument without citing some half-assed social "sciences" research.

You can argue that nobody ever really decides anything for themselves and it's all decided for them by subtle outside influences. It also could have been that since I was a sperm, all the subconscious choices I made led me down the path to be an engineer.

If a female really wants to be an engineer or a male really wants to be a kindergarten teacher enough to be able to get through school they still can. I think it's important for these outliers to be accepted because why not, but there is no reason to force it.

Sophomore
Materials Engineering

Starting physics PhD program this fall. Turned down Maryland for it, hardest decision ever.

Im not arguing a derterminist viewpoint. Im simply stating a fact that numerous studies by pew/harvard/cal ect have done that show on a large scale people will gravitate twords what they see as the normal. On an individual basis there is absolutly 100% individual choice and people can be what they fucking want.

Let's just say the algorithms class has a less than favorable reputation here

Economics

Going into my sophomore year in the Fall. Is 2110 really as soul-crushing as they say?

Finishing 1st year of PhD at Stony Brook. Starting RA soon...

Wisconsin

Getting my BS in electrical engineering next week.

Still a waste of time though, I wouldn't recommend college to anyone.

How hard would it be to get into Berkeley, UCLA, Rice or similiar second rate unis?

Are you talking about CS?

CS 2110 is easy dude. It's 2200 that kicks you in the ass.

Stockholm's University, lawschool

Vegans be whack, yo. Their community board is always full of grotesque imagery while everyone else's is normal.

ME 2110. The guy's a BSME. I do like to dabble in programming, though, with the guys over at /g/'s daily programming thread.

UCLA Medicine 3rd year here. Fuck you we are not a "2nd rate " school.

NC State

Who up