Sci v Engr

"b-but engamaneers arnt autistic enough"
"they arent mustard raiss"
"le brainlets meme"
"they dun do school as much!!!!1!"

Would you consider someone with a bachelors in science a scientist?
Because I wouldn't consider someone with a bachelors in engineering an engineer

PhD is required for any true patrician status

The difference: physicists learn physics then do tedious research in academia or 9/10 times get thrown to the wolves in industry

Engineers learn physics and use said research to push the limits of human technological capability. If the academia lottery doesn't work out, they supersede their industrial-physicist counterpart

What's your fucking excuse autists?

Engineers fail to learn physics and then try to argue jet fuel can't melt steel beams and CO2 isn't a greenhouse gas.

Engineers are just jealous they can live off government grants that incentivize the creation of an alarmist hypothesis that can't be fully debunked until after they're dead or at least spent all the money. They are instead stuck dealing with the real world and its consequences.

While physicists fail to learn engineering then try to complain they deserve more than poverty wages

KEK

I kind of get it when mathematicians say that engineers and physicists are just human calculators who don't do true math. But I never get it when a physicist says the same about engineers and physics.

bump cause buried in Shill Nye memes

Seriously, I get how physics (PhD) would be superior when compared to a bachelor's of engineering, but I've heard physics professors themselves say the lines are blurred at PhD level engineering, and that the latter may be the healthier choice for someone who enjoys their wellbeing

You get to learn physics and do research while getting paid significantly more to utilize science while still having the opportunity to publish theories in physics journals if you stumble upon something

Whereas a physicist does the same shit sans design and paycheck, but with more emphasis on theory-proofreading
What's the benefit?

sage addendum: the real advantage physics has here is the purely esoteric theortical (which is based) but it's hard to secure grants for intangible shit and particle physics stuff requires you to be a cog in a machine of hundreds to thousands of people rather than allowing you to do in dependant research like say condensed matter would

But so far as condensed matter is concerned compared to say nanofabrication the above argument applies

>its a other STEM majors get jelly engineers make bank thread

Veeky Forums BTFO

>Jet fuel can't melt steel beams

It can't, but it can severely weaken it and make it collapse

By the way, who the fuck do you think even did all the post 9/11 studies of what happened? Structural engineers

wait... how do you know we hate enganeers on this board if you're a first-time poster?

Physics majors are too chickenshit to test their worth in the private sector. They want Mommy and Daddy Government to shake down taxpayers for their salaries. Truly a pathetic bunch.

>its all about muh private sector
the private sector is for idiots

>Anonymous 04/27/17(Thu)19:48:45 No.8865590▶
>
>>its all about muh private sector
>the private sector is for idiots

>do the same stuff as academia sans grant begging
>get paid more

????

>same stuff
gud wan

Going into pure math/physics just seems like a waste unless you have an extremely high IQ and can come up with something really meaningful. Otherwise you're just gonna make small additions to theories that have already been around.

research?
design?
administrative oversight?

the fuck's different?

Engineers have jobs

checkmate

Public sector is for people who can't hack it in the private sector and everyone knows it. litteral plebs. Even NASA is dogshit without private contractors to do the actual work. Pic related. Look at this shit. 99% "fighting the patriarchy" (previously known as "mugging for the camera") and one guy doing actual work.

rly made me think

>none of these girls do any actual work because I say so

But you dont know that.

Mechanical engineer here. My field is full of people who can breeze through their freshman/sophomore year but can't fucking handle something like dynamics or physical chemistry or machine design.

Its really fucking sad that 1/3 of my fluid dynamics course failed when its just calc 1/2 combined with physics 1.

UCB is tough on students, but come on, 2/3 of the class failed??? fucking hell.

I'm a postdoc in astro. These people are probably working 60 hours a week on average and could easily be doing less work at some tech company making twice as much money.

They dont suck each others dicks in peer-reviewed journals lol.

GRRL POWAH

Fuck Mars, that's for stupid boys. Let us go to Venus instead!!~ *blows kiss*

Dr. Engineer here - why is everyone getting so dickhurt about this? In the world of dick measuring contests, both parties are required to lay them out on the table to get something done. Odds are, you'll be working with a counterpart in your career and you'll get alot more enjoyment out of your work life if you respect what each other brings to the table so you both can look good and get shit done.

Exactly, because they can only hire the brainlets. They must work longer to make up for their deficiencies.

>implying it's not a simple career choice

lmao, both fields are basically swarmed by average people

What is the point is physics over engineering?

It seems like you just get shit on if you pick physics unless you go into CM/optics/materials which borders with engineering anyway

Phys does the research on material properties
Engr understands the properties and designs systems with it

Is the only reason you'd pick physics instead is because of an autistic obsession with basic research ad infinitum? Cause you still get to do basic research in engineering

Physicists halp

Not even remotely close to true. Try harder next time.

I don't have any.
You are completely correct.

Physicists and mathematicians suffer from inferiority complex, and thus have to find ways to somehow make the way they approach their subjects different from how Engineers do it.

At the master's level, an Engineer's Masters matches the Mathematician's Master in Analysis, Linear Algebra and PDEs. And at the PhD level, the Engineer PhD knows more about the branch of physics that he's concerned with than the Physicist PhD himself.

Don't even bother. People come to 4chin to voice their inarticulate discontent, not to listen to reason.

Philosopher here....
Where am I?...
I want to go home D:

>Engineer PhD knows more about the branch of physics that he's concerned with than the Physicist PhD himself.

How's that possible?
Wouldnt a physicist know more physics than an engineer if they both studied the exact same thing? (e.g. materials sci/engr)

For example, a Mechanical Engineer knows more about Thermodynamics than a Physicist at the very same academic level. That's because the Engineer has to drill through both the theory and the practical science behind it and apply it at numerous and very different problems, all while accounting for all other factors that arise in Engineering problems. Meanwhile, the Physicist only knows the theory behind it, while lacking any intuitive or practical sense of what any research would lead to. That's why you very often have scientists working on something, failing to get any results on what they were originally researching, but whatever they came up with ending up being useful to engineers for solving a completely unrelated problem.

Yeah but the physicist should know the theory and the experiment, otherwise he's not a very good physicist lol

From my perspective it seems more like the physicist (mostly) does fundamental research (and is successful at obtaining their data) then the engineer uses this information for his system design

The engineer and physicist both need to be equally competent at knowing the theory, just the physicist is who comes up with the data/measurement/result while the engineer comes up with the device/system design henceforth