What the fuck is friction

what the fuck is friction

why does it turn force into other types of energy

why do different materials lead to different energy types, including electrical currents

We aren't doing your homework.

Not OP but why can you move objects with force equal to friction?
Why would it start moving when Ftotal is 0?

it's a genuine question asshole

Because it's bumping one object into another object. instead of a full head on collision wich completely stops the object, you have smaller microscopic collisions wich only slow it a bit. Because the surface isn't smooth. the kinetic energy changes to thermal energy because you're making the atoms wiggle.

>the kinetic energy changes to thermal energy because you're making the atoms wiggle

it also triggers electromagnetism. how?

atoms....are electromagnetic, all matter is electromagnetic, what the fuck are you on?

you mean electrostatics? like when your hair goes all over the place when you have just combed your hair?

thermal energy always radiates part of it's energy away because again, the atoms are shaking. the faster they shake, the higher the temperature and if the temperature goes high enough for the radiation to reach the visible spectrum you can see it glow.

static ELECTRICITY. it's static because it's not flowing, that doesn't somehow make it not electricity

I've actually given myself pretty bad shocks moving clothing around while touching a metal table/pole. friction induced electricity is no joke.

I think friction is the electron negatively charged cloud repulsing each other on the atomic level from the different objects which also excites the atoms generating heat.

it's because you're rubbing a some electrons of with the friction creating an electric potential.

Because a magnetic dipole is produced by anything that makes electrons move toward one side of an object's particles. When two solid objects touch, the repulsion force that keeps them from phasing through one another is actually the two objects coming close enough so that the electromagnetism of their electrons overcome the force of whatever is pushing them together.

When you rub the two polymer materials together, what happens is that electrons will travel down the individual monomers that make up the polymer, and they take some time to restore because they have to go up an entire chain of molecules that resist their flow back toward their original positions once those monomers already have their electrons moved back. If an object with lower electrical resistance than the monomer chain is to touch that polymer, the electrons will flow into that object because it's the path of least resistance, and that flow of electrons is what you see as those little shocks of static electricity.

I just kind of thought of this right now, though, so I might be wrong. I was only in materials science for a couple semesters before switching majors. If any part is wrong, it's probably the part where the electrons decouple from the monomers and move down the chain like they might want to do in a metal.

I'm not talking small shock, I'm talking the painful tingle of touching something with a live current going through it. I work in a situation where I am regularly touching metal shit while moving clothes and it's a full on electrical current.

think of a cobble stone road as opposed to a paved road, but then on a microscopic scale. there's tiny bumps/hits/collisions happening slowing you down. each time you pump, some kinetic energy gets lost and turned into heat energy.

then why is it easier to push a moving object than a stationary object?

charges can build up overtime but the discharge is all at once, so it hurts.

I'm not saying it was a single discharge, I'm saying it was an extended current similar to touching a live wire, but obviously exponentially weaker.

I'd compare it to the uncomfortable tingle I once got from touching a stove that wasn't properly grounded.

What "Laws" govern friction?

Because something that's already moving already has some kinetic energy so there's less to put in on your side?

The laws of physics!

It really is just bumping objects into eachother like on larger scale but on smaller scale. The shocks are electricity.

friction is a contact force.

All contact forces are electromagnetic forces.

Its like velcro but nano scale because of the physical and electromagnetic nature of matter.

the smoother the surfaces, the smaller the physical and electromagnetic effects.