Why isn't Computer Science taken seriously?

Whenever I study computer science I think of stuff like "monad in X is just a monoid in the category of endofunctors of X, with product × replaced by composition of endofunctors and unit set by the identity endofunctor." -- as what Saunders Mac Lane, William Lawvere did/does is relevant to my Computer Science interest.

I keep hearing "code monkeys" term thrown around. I program, I love programming, I don't refer to myself as a "code monkey" as I doubt most people that use that term understand functional data structures, algorithmic complexity or what Cartesian closed categories are.

Why didn't you explain some of Kolmogorov's ideas instead of that inane bullshit? It's would've been much more interesting.

>look at me I can spout basic category jargon aren't I so deep
back to the app mines pajeet

Everyone takes CS seriously until they understand it, at which point it becomes trivial.

This is especially pertinent to general abstract nonsense that explicitly adopts the trivialization of everything as its goal.

it's literally just applied logic.

>$350K per year
>not taken seriously

You're an idiot.

Computer Science jargons are part of a spectrum of word diarrhea.

Math is literally just logic

None of you code monkeys have solved pic related and you expect to be taken seriously.

Face it. You have no imagination or even any understanding of advanced mathematics. Your spectrum of knowledge is limited.

Because you only have to do low level math

Because the job market for CS is particularly fucked what with the comparatively big risk of being replaces by pajeet

Because it was shilled by people as the "best stem major ever", so naturally when people see it's shortcomings it became a meme

>unhackable system
That would be equivalent to developing a perfect type checking algorithm, which is known to be impossible for all but the most trivial systems by the standard approach of reduction to the halting problem.

Lol im a pc gamer too

>College offers many degrees
>notices they have computers sitting around
>"lets thow CS onto the pile too"
>Gives people a degree that makes them feel smart even if what they learned will be obsolete in ten years.
CO for brains, CS for brainlets

Because unless you go into theoretical pajeet can do whatever you can without a degree.

>Because you only have to do low level math

Except I got a pure math degree.

>Because the job market for CS is particularly fucked what with the comparatively big risk of being replaces by pajeet

I want to be a professor, or researcher.

>Because it was shilled by people as the "best stem major ever", so naturally when people see it's shortcomings it became a meme

I don't relate to fellow CS majors.

Sounds like a trade school.

so is math. this might be a surprise but mathematical logic is a sub-field of math.

>Everyone takes calculus seriously until they understand it, at which point it becomes trivial.

>Everyone takes linear algebra seriously until they understand it, at which point it becomes trivial.

>Everyone takes probability theory seriously until they understand it, at which point it becomes trivial.

>Everyone takes measure theory seriously until they understand it, at which point it becomes trivial.

>Everyone takes functional analysis seriously until they understand it, at which point it becomes trivial.

>Everyone takes algebraic topology seriously until they understand it, at which point it becomes trivial.

>Everyone takes cohomology seriously until they understand it, at which point it becomes trivial.

>be replaceable by a fucking pajeet
>complain about pajeets
>don't realize that you're a brain dead subhuman that can't get a job because he is too dumb and poorly prepared therefore replaceable
how about you become irreplaceable and employable, you putrid pig piggot? I had a paid internship in each of my 3 uni years, it wasn't hard at all for me and I study in London you stupid pig, not in some gay ass Amerifat hillbilly village

Whatever notion of 'sub-field' you have, it's not asymmetric so any attempt to compare 'purity' will be pointless.

Okay then, fag. No need to get this asshurt. Doesn't change the fact that CS majors have a higher risk of it.

CS majors less so, ones that actually learn CS.

Bootcampers and self-taught people more so,

>im gonna build shitty unreliable systems because hurr durr halting problem

if you're at a good uni, have decent grades and experience on your CV it's impossible not to get a job, it's simply impossible, you literally have people sending you messages on linkedin and shit asking you if you want to participate in projects or if you want a job

it's not that you can't find a job, you always can and you even have a choice, if you're smart, of course

of course no one's going to pay you 100-200k unless you deserve it, are you a brain dead piggot?

this discussion shouldn't be about brainlets, brainlets shouldn't even be allowed to live, let alone get a job

if we restrict the scope of this discussion to Veeky Forums geniuses then CS is a field where every one can get a high paying job easily

For fucks sake it's you again. Why are you so agressive all the time? And stop pushing this piggot shit, it won't become a thing.

>pig user goes "snort snort"
blargh! what an annoying sound!
it will, just wait you stupid pig!

You're a bitter faggot who's just jealous of people who earn a million dollars every 2-3 years.

Fucking piggot.

Not only pajeet but sjws are shilling more people into tech. They are useful idiots though, being driven to lower wages in the field. If an occupation is being shilled for more non whites and women then it means that higher ups are behind it to try to lower wages in that occupation.

that's true, it's amazing why the masses of piggots are completely blind to it, they either go "/pol/ was right, it's about SJW" if they're against it or they go "aww how nice, the 3rd graders are learning about C++ pointer arithmetic, how useful!"

both sides fail to realize that this is an incredibly desperate and massive and expensive effort that's all about lowering the wages, these coked up CEOs can't stand the fact that they have to give out millions of dollars to small programmer teams every year and they think that everyone can be a programmer

why not teach programming to a kindergarten kid?

why not have code camps for 4th graders?

or, even worse, why not have code camps for WOMEN? that'll work

these fucked up coke-addicted CEOs get lied daily by statisticians and idiots that present them with mathematically-untrue graphs (anyone can spew some mathy stuff and convince retarded CEOs that they're telling the truth) and then they think they can lower wages in IT by just spawning code camps everywhere as if it's a fucking videogame

Is this really what people in CS are like? I actually feel bad for you guys. I guess this is what getting cucked by literal street shitters does to a man.

sour-grapes-man detected

will you feel better if I told you that you never had a chance of being successful in CS? you never missed out on anything, we actually don't earn as much as we say, it's ok user, just close the tread and carry on with your life

>these fucked up coke-addicted CEOs get lied daily by statisticians and idiots that present them with mathematically-untrue graphs (anyone can spew some mathy stuff and convince retarded CEOs that they're telling the truth) and then they think they can lower wages in IT by just spawning code camps everywhere as if it's a fucking videogame

This is true.

(new user here btw)

There is a DIFFERENCE between teaching "" computer science "" and vocational schools. The latter is more along lines of universities that focus their CS program on getting a job and bootcamps.Teaching someone how to code strictly isn't CS.

The former is more of the mathematics and science. This is found at universities preparing students for the academic world. CS skills taught here won't go outdated, because what I'm specifically talking about is pure math applied to CS problems.

It feels pretty guud to study 4-years. Get a jub, move to CA, get paid 100k+ base, have sign on bonuses. bonuses, stock options, smart coworkers all in your 20s. Duuuuude it feels so goood to be here. Keep studying. Maybe you can concinvce someone you know programming only to fail the interview :^)

I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue here.

>I don't relate to fellow CS majors

>Why isn't CS taken seriously

I wonder, user. I wonder if maybe you can answer your own questions?

I wonder if you aren't just trolling for a reaction at this point.

Can CS solve these problems?

There's no such thing as an unhackable system because there can't be.

If someone can access the system, in any way whatsoever, then they are a security risk.

this

>Everyone takes math seriously until they understand it, at which point it becomes trivial.

OP, to make a long answer short, the problem with computer science's reputation is computer scientists.

Is this actually a real tweet? What a failure of a science educator.

His post is 100% a joke idiot

>unhackable systems
So back to the days of analog and carrier pigeons?

You're asking the wrong question, since CS is actually taken seriously in the real world. You probably wanna know why Veeky Forums doesn't. I think most of the posts anti-CS here are just emotional reactions due to the fact CS is undoubtedly one of most popular and recognized STEM fields.
Most of this board is composed of autistic people who love to pretend they're smarter than average people, when actually they know they'll never accomplish something big (like solve a relevant problem in their fields) and then they'll die unknown and irrelevant for society. Notice the majority of posts here aren't about science and math, but about IQ, brainlets, who's more intelligent, etc.
Then, my question is: why are you taking Veeky Forums seriously?

Funny you should mention x, op.

>implying carrier pigeons are unhackable

t. 1337 h4x0r with a giant butterfly net and whiteout