Hey /sci

Hey /sci
mechE student here and I wanna learn programming by myself. I know basic OOP Java that's it.

Which book should I do? What other path would you recommend ?

Other urls found in this thread:

functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/
github.com/open-source-society/computer-science
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This Art of Computer Programming. :^)

>mechE
FORTRAN - its what most FEA software is written in.

Visual Basic - no matter where you go as an engineer, they are gonna have excel. as a matter of fact, thats probably all they will have. knowing how to bust out apps for your cheapskate boss in a platform he has on all his computers is valuable af.

Python - cuz its easy

Thanks a lot mate nice digits too
The sticky wiki said to start with c++ so should I ditch that?
Also how do I go about for python and visual basic?

C++ is much harder to learn than Python or VB. It probably wouldn't be worth your time, as C++ is primarily used by software engineers, not mechE.

>I know basic OOP Java that's it.

Sorry, but your mind has been mutilated beyond repair. You shall forever code like it's java in whatever language you move onto thus rendering all your code crap.

>mechE student

You never learned Matlab?

>Which book should I do?

Top left 3 books on Prog->DS&A->AD are essential and Transition to Advanced Math will help you decipher proof based math in the other math books. APUE and CompSys are good for understand system-level stuff and OS, Comp Networks, and Modern Cryptography will let you go even further down that rabbit hole. Automata & Computability, Computational Complexity, and Programming Language Pragmatics are the key theoretical stuff if you're interested in CS. Design Patterns and Man-Month are the SoftEng texts you want to read and if you're going that route then read the book on Database Systems as well.

What language do you think automobile's embedded firmware is written in? Spoiler: C/C++.

functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/
github.com/open-source-society/computer-science

many guides out there, just get started. Don't focus on a language, focus on becoming a better programmer. Books are interchangeable, I substitute some of what's in either guide from Veeky Forums wiki, and vice versa.

>VB
waste of dubs you POS

Fuck off idiot, Java is a university standard language, stop putting people off with your elitist views you stupid faggot

>Which book should I do? What other path would you recommend ?
You don't learn to program by reading a book. Just go ahead and code.

You have to read a book before you start coding.

poo belongs in the loo

Learn to latex

Bottom right kek

Now this is a top quality post thanks a lot my man. I'll start with the first book then.

Btw we are learning matlab shits too easy right now

Java's getting pretty deprecated for anything other than Android app development, for which, Java is your go-to language.

For your Veeky Forums interests, I'd recommend trying out the algorithmic programming challenges over at Project Euler.

Android development is one of my side goals so I'll definitely look into it too thanks. Bump

Learn to write terrible Matlab and then make fun of CS/CPE students.

Kek

they're not my notes, I posted the wrong image and I know latex sonny so you better watch it