Neuroscience

are there religious people in neurobiology courses?

muzzie here

yes, why?

Religion fears science and brainpower, so why would religion be in the science of brainpower?

I'm Catholic and I'm about to do a rotation in a neuro lab at Duke as part of my first year of PhD studies.

You won't be into woo-woo and bullshit for much longer then!

Yes, I'm a member of the Catholic Universities Neuroscience Traditionalists Society.

I knew someone who studied neuroscience and went to church regularly. I don't see how both are related.

Hey, I study neuroscience at the South Haigon Institute of technology. We should hang out mah mane.

neuroscience goes hand in hand with determenism and materialism, and those two concepts usually don't mix very well with religion.

science and religion are about different things.

You're a fucking retard if you think anything else.

>science and religion are about different things.
They are based on totally opposite philosophies

what do you do as a job in neuroscience? serious question and i don't mean brain surgery

Not all religions are the same or ask for the same from it practicers.

Even when the searcg for the biblical God seems fruitless,the search fr other Gods it's still on going.

Netzahualcoyotl.

Just a brief moment

Is it true that one lives on earth, ay!

For ever on earth?

Even the fine stones crack,

Until the gold is destroyed,

Even the precious feathers are torn.

For ever on earth?

Just a brief moment here!

>science and religion are about different things.
Except when they're not.

But I already have a Master's degree in genetics..

What exactly are your credentials, anyways.

He watches Bill Nye.

ok

As a muslim my religion's philosophy encourages me to seek knowledge.

Maybe not the religions you know about.

>the search for the biblical God seems fruitless
>searching for a neumenal entity in phenomena

That doesn't respond to my point. Clearly religion and science conflict in certain instances, since many religions make factual claims.

If God is noumenal then you cannot know God exists or make any claim about God

To religious neuroscientists : check out the book "Soul Hypothesis." It has 10 chapters from 12 different neuroscientists.
It's a good read and shows how Spirituality and Neurobiology can be compatible. Some of the ideas are a little "theoretical", but it's still interesting.

I meant that may be so, but it's everyone's job to be critical of what they hear and think about what makes sense to them.

"Reasonable doubt" is a very subjective limit.

That doesn't mean you can't do your job as a scientist. You can't test miracles or test a "god", but you can measure and test [insert relevant elements of your field] within a degree of uncertainty.

>Religion fears science and brainpower

there is nothing in science that realistically questions the existence of God
/thread

Studying neuroscience made me religious, due to the "hard problem"

There is nothing in science that realistically questions the existence of unicorns.

Take that unicorn deniers!

If people were critical of what they hear, religion would not exist.

If people were critical of what they hear, then people would reject the scientific method due to its reliance on empirical reasoning.

why?

You're a dingus who has no knowledge about almost every religion there is.

and this:

Wow, imagine being this dumb

Why?

Because there's no reason to believe any of it.