STEM Decay

Why is science losing its place in western culture? I mean real science, not pop science infotanment junk. The term STEM was meant to bring more of the educational establishment into understanding the importance of STEM subjects. Instead they keep watering it down. First they added in Art to make STEM into STEAM. Now they're adding in Reading to make STEAM into STREAM.

What, if anything, can be done to fight off this dilution of STEM's importance in the education system?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy_in_the_United_States
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Human culture isn't interested in facts.

make people actually engaged in science and maths during school

>hey, user, what's your major?
>reading

what's the r in stream?

Science (the stamp collecting variety at least) is being automated away. You should not worry about it.

Physics on the other hand is fine.

'rithmatic

reading and writing falls under art
that picture is redundant

Religious studies

I'm waiting for it to become EXSTREAM, spelling error and all. The X will stand for something progressive like Xenophilia while the E won't even be a specific subject but rather something like Everybody in order to be inclusive of all.

Think this is all really about jealousy. STEM subjects have been getting lots of attention and grant money. Gender Dance Theory and junk like that aren't going to willingly be kicked off the gravy train.

oh look, its another thread ensuring my job security as an engineer. how comfy.

Retards+autism

Engineer is a phallic title. You've been reported to HR. You must complete Diversity Sensitivity Training before the next lunar menstrual cycle has completed.

STEM is a stupid acronym to begin with, as with all acronyms
Stfu, great thread OP

Reading and writing

What are the job prospects for someone majoring in that?

>implying that will ever happen to the good ol' boys club that is my industry

nah. most of my peers are straight white conservative males with the odd black/asian/indian who is turbo conservative.

the minute upper management tried to pull some SJW bullshit we'd all walk out the door and go work for the half dozen companies that ride our nuts on linkedin.

having talent is a hell of a thing.

To be fair, I've seen way too many pajeet engineers who simply don't know how to read and write in the English language at a professional level.

What do science, tech, engineering, and math have in common that they should acronymized anyways?

They are in demand? - not everything STEM encompasses is high-paying or in demand, such as pure math. Many field not traditionally considered STEM are in demand or decent paying, such as finance, psych, medicine, piloting, making, business, law, architecture.

>What do science, tech, engineering, and math have in common that they should acronymized anyways?

$

>pure math

a "pure" mathematician can still shill himself out for dosh in many different fields. most just choose not to.

yeah but then business, finance, and war should be in the acronym

kekd

Think it came about after there was a panic over the United States continuing to fall in rankings of education in science and mathematics versus other industrialized countries. There is no shortage of people going into most of the areas of study you mentioned, except perhaps medicine.

thats a bit too realpolitik

people who are good at one are usually good with the rest (if they try)

It doesn't work out to be the smae acronym but USA pretty much already stands for business, finance, and war.

IQ
There I said it.

Everyone in STEM loves Meg Ryan movies?

STEM literally isn't that important; we already have enough scientists and engineers. In fact, I'd argue there's an abundance of them given the strict competition in academia positions.

No, what the world needs is more arts and humanities.

If arts and humanities are so in demand, why is their income so low? Or are they dishonest about not being able to pay their student loans?

We need more arts and humanities, but people just don't recognize it. The only reason STEM seems to be in demand is so employers can drive the wages low and hire pajeets.

If arts and humanities grads are in demand, then in what jobs and fields are they demanded?

>arts
>low pay

thats not true at all. graphics designers make great money. good artists are in high demand, not talking about """"artists"""" who shit on a page and call it a masterpiece, i'm talking about guys who do straight commission work and crank out models and concept art.

I serve on a board of trustees for a tech firm, and this is basically true. There's no much anyone can do about it though.

Nigga, can you motherfucking read? I said that they're not in demand because people are stupid and don't recognize the fact that human society actually needs culture.

>It doesn't work out to be the smae acronym but USA pretty much already stands for business, finance, and war.

Usury
Speculation
Antagonization

Yes. You can spot a fake Veeky Forumsentist a mile away just by checking whether or not they like Meg Ryan movies.

Apart from computer science, discoveries are further and further from everyday life.

In the 17th century when people were talking about gravity and things, the average person could, at some level, understand that.

Physics and chemistry now is too specialized for that. Sure you get rare things like the higgs that can be explained in a layman-friendly way, but the average person is not going to understand density functional theory or whatever.

No, I would not like fries with my order.

Okay, but if people don't recognize that our society actually needs more culture whereas YOU recognize it, what do YOU suggest to be the function of arts and humanities that you claim we lack so much?

Have you noticed that despites fanciful claims by fedora-tippers, we actually haven't progressed that much, technologically? There hasn't been any sort of revolution in science unless you count the fact that everyone and their grandma can now upvote shitty memes on facebook.

However, things that actually make people happy is stuff like culture, relationships, stability; nothing directly related to the applications of the so-called hard sciences. It doesn't really matter whether we bang stones together or utilize quantum super computers, what really ends up mattering for people is just how happy they are. Thus, focusing on STEM is the same as putting the cart before the horse.

>we already have enough scientists and engineers
false

We literally don't need culture. That is not a need

IMO, people are just getting into business related majors, that's it.

If we removed the M in STEM and put the B in it, we would have BEST acronym.
>The BEST for your future
And yeah. I'm sure this could make the whole country hear autistic screeching all day if this happened but eh, if we did this then like 80% of all majors are in this, the remaining 20% are in useless shit majors like Art, Gender studies, etc.

Also OP's pic will always lure Arts and Humanitiesfags from Veeky Forums talking shit and not knowing anything about jobs and job prospects, how to find a job (since I don't think they will ever have one in their life), etc.
Sure thing m8, let's get lectured by some liberal arts retard major that doesn't even know what he is going to do with his life and he has been like this for 20 years after graduating.
All of the STEM majors do give jobs, but you need to learn and do research on how to find them.
I'll spoonfeed you once on this: as much as I like to bully pure mathfags, they can get a nice job too somewhere in private, goverment or institutional jobs in research depending on what they studied + at least one programming course.
>IBM Research
Funny thing is that the "S"TEM that you mentioned there (Psych) is actually not decent paying, not even close.
You do actually need that PhD in psychology if you want at least a decent pay but if you don't have it or cannot do it, you will end up working being a social work 80 IQ retard with 28k starting that most likely will kill himself next year desu.

So you don't have an answer just a vague sense that life isn't great but if we gave you a bunch of grants you'd somehow make humanity better.

Pic related is what happens when the humanities tries its hand at STEM.

Objective fields as opposed to things like art.

Damn straight

beautiful

do feminist critiques of logic exist?

idiots hate people smarter than them and will tear them down and ruin them even if it means their own lives become worse.

imo the humanities were destroyed by the academic Left for at least a generation. people aren't going to be interested in going into the humanities when they'll be ridiculed for wasting their time.

>business
>not a useless major

pick one

STEMfags are stupid, if you didn't want this to happen you should have gone with something like METS

>Increasing distrust in the process of science as more scandals and questions about what truths are really being found come to light; people want something they can concretely believe in and can't handle the uncertainty associated with the current turmoil in STEM fields even though it's ultimately for the best
>Aggressive anti-intellectual culture among the people who need education the most
>Feels over reals
>Fuck you, only research stuff I want you to research or that I, as an unsophisticated layman with little to no education, can understand as having immediate and obvious benefits to society (AKA no shrimp treadmills)
>Popsci moonshots will totally work, no matter how ill-conceived they are, on the sole merit that they sound cool (SOLAR FREAKIN ROADWAYS), forget that boring stuff you were doing before

Those are the ones that come immediately to mind. Please enjoy this landscape photo if you are experiencing emotional duress.

>The 15% figure for full literacy (Prose/Document/Quantitative skill), equivalent to a university undergraduate level, is consistent with the notion that the "average" American reads at a 7th or 8th grade level which is also consistent with recommendations, guidelines, and norms of readability for medication directions, product information, and popular fiction.
>This government study showed that 21% to 23% of adult Americans were not "able to locate information in text", could not "make low-level inferences using printed materials", and were unable to "integrate easily identifiable pieces of information."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy_in_the_United_States

We could probably use some more reading to be honest.

Being able to read and incorporate information into your knowledge banks and being able to clearly express information you have is not equivalent with creative/artistic writing, though creative writing does still require those skills. What kind of skills do you think technical writers have? Also, see above.

There was a pajeet in my study group who wanted to get an EE degree but switched to some soft compsci program because he claimed he couldn't read the word problems for Classical Mechanics, even though he spoke English near-fluently and only got tripped up on slang terms.

MEATS

>Why is science losing its place in western culture? I mean real science, not pop science infotanment junk
Because "science" today is not proper science, like in the times of Newton and Maxwell.

Today you have a pack of morons going around saying that things have no identity and thus contradictions exist in reality (quantum mechanics), extra dimensions (string theory), etc.

Literally nobody uses the term STEAM

>We started with STEM
>Everything is good
>Everything is fine
>Bitchy art majors show up
>Dont realize they have a useless degree
>Bitch forever
>STEAM becomes a thing
>We all thought this shit was over
>Reading majors show out of no where
>Start bitching about there shitty major isnt here
>Make stream
>STEM has become like LGBT, it keeps added letters because whiney fucks are never happy untill there represented
>The year is 3000
>STREAMS IS GOD is the new STEM
>Even gender studies is a STEM now
>Math majors and science majors kys

>Academia is the only real application for STEM, there's literally nothing else
Tenure track is niceā€”if you can get it and as you stated, most can't. That leaves these graduates with two options: slam themselves against the doors of academia begging to be let in or suck it up and do nonacademic work in their field of choice, or in an entirely different field.

I'm assuming is still you but I'm going to address it separately in case not: We live in a world where massive technology-driven unemployment within the next 40 years is not only a possibility, but a probability and where an attack on our digital infrastructure has the potential to be more harmful than every major city on the continent getting the shit bombed out of them but you still think that we haven't progressed much technologically? Think of what the internet was like 20+ years ago and what it's like now. Think of the sheer amount of information you have access to and what that means for future development.

Happiness/fulfillment are important, but your leading statement is either deliberately inflammatory or outright ignorant.

Culture is a byproduct of human interaction, you can't avoid it. Basic physiological needs only get a person so far.

Psych could've also meant psychiatry, in which case they can shill meds all the livelong day and make bank.

I see it used in kids' educational stuff around town. Have yet to see STREAM.

I don't think the decay is in STEM. Its the idea of it and people just do not talk about it.

Silicon Valley and Washington tech hub wants to bring this "whole science and computer interaction" to the children and education system, but its just encouraging Computer Science. It ignores the rest.

As for the other parts of STEM- People just don't mention great revelations and discoveries made by science. They usually make it mainstream via some new toy or device.

It's been planned in advance by our hidden masters.

I only know one truth - It's time for the West to end.

Chinese shitpuppet

i'm fine with steam since the arts are the only part of the humanities that matter

>All these """"scientist"""" hating the evolution of STEM

i think its great tbqh. still not getting you hired though.

Yes but they're based on feelings rather than logic.

Except for history. And architecture. And biology

Wish you were correct but my kid's school is doing "STEAM Night" now with an open house for professionals in those areas to talk to the students and show off what they do. The flier that they sent us was pretty much the same one they used for STEM Night in years past but with the paragraph about Arts being crudely pasted in. It looked intentionally bad so I'm guessing the change was pushed onto the school from some higher level of bureaucracy.