Digital vagabond lifestyle as an EE?

So I think I've finally decided on Electrical Engineering as my major. After I graduate I want to travel as much as possible while I'm still young and haven't set down any roots yet. Ideally I would love a job where I could work from anywhere and download/email anything I needed. Is there any kind of work I could do as an EE that is like that? Or even something that sends me from place to place across the country?

Thanks for the input.

Use your EE money to do whatever you want, dumbfuck

I want long term travel type deal... Not a work for a couple years take 6 months off, or whatever. I want to have the freedom to be able to do both at once.

I think you have to be a programmer for that. Or be in marketing.

I was thinking about becoming a CS or CE major but then I thought all the work would be outsourced to India.Was I completely retarded for thinking that?

I don't fuckin know, I'm a pajeet but I was born here.

isn't cs the most prominent for remote jobs though?

if you can save up 50% of your income you can work for 2 years and then take two full years off

should be extra easy with some high paying ee job, maybe u can save even more if u live frugaly

oh yeah btw there's r/digitalnomad/

also +1 for anyone that can help with how to accomplish this im also interested

oh shit i just remember some guy i met who was lowkey living like this from fucking ONLINE POKER, definitely not the greatest pay, he had to travel places with lower cost of life though to make use of it (he was from norway, it was too expensive there for him) if he can do it then we can do it

I would like to do something similar and I'm about to get my PhD in ECE

What type of employer would let me take 2 years off and then come back like nothing happened? Do people actually do this?

none

you quit your job and then get a new one lmfao

the point is that you are qualified enough to be able to do this sorta thing, hell, even someone working on retail who manages to save up 50% of their earnings can do it as they'll always be qualified enough for another retail job

I've heard that you should leave your employer after a few years anyway to keep your pay from getting stagnant. This is usually into a new higher paying job that's already set up though.

So if being able to work from anywhere isn't going to happen would there be certain job fields where I would move from location to location perhaps installing and updating shit where I go?

Yeah but that is going to fuck my career path

you woulda been better off starting as a contract carpenter ya dip

Met two guys from Luhansk when I was in Ukraine. While everyone else lived on around 50$ per month they were making around 600 playing online poker...
While their homecity was being under siege and blockade by the government they were on a club vacation in egypt...
One of the most surreal lifestyles I ever encountered.

Partly yes you are a fucking retard for thinking that

Why electrical engineering? I'm deciding too

yes. there are jobs just like this. they invariably have the word "Field" in their title. check out big power plant manufacturers and power plant maintenance providers. GE, Siemens, etc..

you basically live out of a hotel for 200+ days a year and your "home base" is wherever you choose, provided its within an hour of a major airport. almost all your contact with the higher ups is through email and phone. you will actually live stream some of your work to a team if the job is complex enough.

it pays really good too. one of the few engineering gigs that pay 100k right out of school (well you break 100k with all the overtime). i would recommend getting a subscription to Turbomachinery International and boning up on your controls and power generation skills.

t. Turbine Cowboy of 3 years

>What type of employer would let me take 2 years off and then come back like nothing happened?

the federal government.

please explain. how does one do this? because i already have an unofficial offer from a govt lab

Have a few different small reasons like money that can be made, had an interest in electronics and the projects I could do with that knowledge, needed to choose a major and it seems to have good job security.

Okay, thank you. I'll definitely look into this. This seems like a good medium to aim for.

>Yeah but that is going to fuck my career path
is it really?
the point is not to go vagabond for 2 years without doing nothing, the point is to buckle-up so that you can try something new and risky. You are not going to go on vacation and forget everything about your field, you are going to try work in a new venue, telecommuting or freelancing or kickstarting your own business, something like that! The point is that you can sustain yourself through the very slow start but also that you have the time to make it happen.

This is why you will see people trying so hard to scam for fucking videogame items, because in countries so poor getting some rare steam items will pay the rent, and more

Should I become a CS major if I want this?