If you score below 145 on an IQ test, you really shouldn't be in STEM

If you score below 145 on an IQ test, you really shouldn't be in STEM.

iqtest.dk/

In 1952, psychologist Anne Roe administered a test to 64 scientists with the help of the ETS (the same people who design the GRE). The MEDIAN score was 152, and that's AFTER excluding the physical scientists from the math portion on the basis that it would be too easy for them. Even so, the MEDIAN math score was 154, with the highest score being 194. (!)

Let me repeat that, because I don't think you understand. One of the scientists (who was not in the physical sciences, mind you!) scored over 6 fucking standard deviations from the norm on math.

The median VERBAL IQ was 166, with a high of 177. (!!!)

iqcomparisonsite.com/Roe.aspx

And before you get hopeful about the Flynn effect, keep in mind that these scores indicate the percentage of the population capable of a career in science at that time. Also, they're entirely speculative (the Flynn effect may have capped out as early as the 70s, in which case the point difference would be much smaller). In fact, it is probably HARDER to get a science career now due to international competition, greater nepotism and lock-in effects, the "everyone is a genius" mentality in education, and much lower demand for unskilled labor.

Working your ass off isn't enough. These scientists were geniuses AND worked their asses off AND lived during America's golden age.

If you want to be a scientist but don't have a >145 IQ, you are *fucked.*

Other urls found in this thread:

my.vanderbilt.edu/smpy/files/2013/01/DoingPsychScience2006.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=gxTRCPKFltE
gwern.net/docs/iq/1949-roe-biologists.pdf
gwern.net/docs/iq/1951-roe-biologists.pdf
gwern.net/docs/iq/1951-roe-imagery.pdf
gwern.net/docs/iq/1951-roe-scientists.pdf
gwern.net/docs/iq/1953-roe-psychologists.pdf
dropbox.com/s/i7raf2aup5pdpgy/1953-roe-makingscientist.pdf
dropbox.com/s/qh34xcxl0pzc9lr/1951-roe-physicalscientists.pdf
nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/05/genius-genetics-intelligence-neuroscience-creativity-einstein/
oeis.org/search?q=1,2,4,8&sort=&language=&go=Search
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

IQ is pseudoscience and highly variant in methodology, application and repeated testing.
Reported.

Lol I scored 111 and EE is so doable

>IQ is pseudoscience

PffftHAHAHAHAHA

> best promoting material about IQ is invent IQ score of dead people.

You forgot to mention that these 64 scientists were 64 of THE MOST EMINENT scientists of the time. Of course they're going to be in the top 0.1% of people, you dolt.

>If you score below 145 on an IQ test, you really shouldn't be in STEM
The top 0.1%? How the hell do you expect a technological society to run on such a low rate of STEM majors? How are colleges supposed to support themselves if places like MIT and Cal Tech only accept the top 0.1%? Surely, you can't expect 0.1% of people, and even of those people, only those who are interested in the sciences, to handle ALL of the STEM work necessary for today's technology and industrial development. I'd rather Richard Feynman was NOT using his time on the more common work of analyzing HVAC systems and being a tech consultant for phone companies.

>scored less than 145
Fuck this man, I just wanna be smart so bad.

>t. brainlet

inb4 "nuh uh I gots 150"

Everyone knows IQ has tremendous predictive power.

Indeed, IQ becomes MORE predictive of success at the high end, not LESS.

my.vanderbilt.edu/smpy/files/2013/01/DoingPsychScience2006.pdf

IQ is the most studied phenomenon in social science, with over a century of results, some of the longest and most careful studies, huge n's, etc.

People just hate the idea that wanting something badly enough doesn't mean you'll get it lol.

youtube.com/watch?v=gxTRCPKFltE

Only 1 in 1,000 people become tenured professors, and many such positions aren't as g-loaded as the science ones, so it's not too unbelievable.

What the fuck are you talking about? Did you read the Anne Roe study?

She tested the scientists directly.

Roe 1949, "Psychological Examinations of Eminent Biologists": gwern.net/docs/iq/1949-roe-biologists.pdf

Roe 1951, "A Psychological Study of Eminent Biologists": gwern.net/docs/iq/1951-roe-biologists.pdf

Roe 1951, "A Study of Imagery in Research Scientists": gwern.net/docs/iq/1951-roe-imagery.pdf

Roe 1951, "Psychological Tests of Research Scientists": gwern.net/docs/iq/1951-roe-scientists.pdf

Roe 1953, "A Psychological Study of Eminent Psychologists and Anthropologists, and a comparison with Biological and Physical Scientists": gwern.net/docs/iq/1953-roe-psychologists.pdf

Roe 1953, _The Making of a Scientist_: dropbox.com/s/i7raf2aup5pdpgy/1953-roe-makingscientist.pdf

Roe 1951, "A psychological study of physical scientists" (physicists/chemists) now available: dropbox.com/s/qh34xcxl0pzc9lr/1951-roe-physicalscientists.pdf

in a world of 7 billion, with the most important STEM jobs in a small number of countries, it wouldn't surprise me if the threshold was that high.

same

Starts talking about IQ tests, posts some online IQ test.

Here is what I think what happend. OP took an online IQ test and scored really high and now he wants to let loose his epeen boost. OP please stop being a faggot and take a real IQ test or at least don't post online IQ tests in an attempt to imply they are the real thing.

scored 138, pretty close to my WAIS score (136).

No one mentioned tenured professorship. Just being taught by STEM professors on its own shouldn't have that kind of threshold. Every code monkey and product designer doesn't need to be in the top 1000th on an intelligence scale.

Do I really have to download it?

School has been dumbed down so much that an IQ of 120 can do anything

Fuck, it's summer on Veeky Forums again...

ok

t. Brainlet failure wanting desperately to be proven wrong, since he has a sub-120 IQ

>SAT being useful at all
wew
I went from a 640 to an 800 after studying the material a bit during the year and learning some stuff like Heron's formula that my classes never covered. We should use a proper IQ test for college admissions.

My iq is exactly 145, am I fucked?

drink a coffee and you won't be

>IQ

>Feynman
>IQ 120

I guess Feynman was the king of brainlets

This.

Sure if you're not 145+ or even 160+ it's unlikely anybody will ever know your name.
But just like the world needs electricians and plumbers we also need mediocre engineers and number crunchers.

Nah i'm chad I conform with banging every girl available.

I guess math is cool too, but I prefer pussy.

I got 130.

Can someone explain the last one to me. The only pattern I could see is when you rotate the last one on the row by 90 degrees, it is the same as the first one on the next row - if that makes sense

I agree.
120-130 IQ here.

It's easy to talk on the internet, but mathematics are pretty hard.

I also got 130. I had 8 minute left still. i tried mozart effect for the last one but didn't foudn the answers.

Anyway what is your IRL iq my friend ?

is it F? i can't open the site in my chrome

really? this gives me hope. I have 110 IQ and I just want to learn basic shit, not be feynman. Am I going to be ok? user pls tell me the truth

IQ is a useful metric but the only people who brag about theirs are insecure neets who wonder why the world doesn't constantly stroke their ego the way their overcoddling parents did. Your IQ isn't an achievement, it's your potential for achievement, so how about you actually use your IQ to achieve something, loser.

It's C

You're wrong

nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/05/genius-genetics-intelligence-neuroscience-creativity-einstein/

IQ exams have misidentified some of the most gifted scientist, in other words more intelligent scientist scored lower on IQ exams and weren't identified as gifted, scientist that revolutionized the field and are considered geniuses.

IQ exams aren't an accurate measurement of intelligence

>1952
An IQ in the 150-60s back then meant the same as 120 today, tops. And we are talking about averages, which means that there were people with successful careers in STEM who were below that.

Holy fuck this place is full of teenagers

Nice. I ran out of time. Not sure what my IRL IQ is

Can you explain please?

How?

Veeky Forums is memeing about IQ too much. Go visit any actually serious math community (stackexchange, overflow, even r/math) and you'll see how the overall attitude towards talent vs hard work is completely different. Take a look at the catalog of Veeky Forums; are you sure you want to take what these people say seriously? (Not to say there are no good posters on Veeky Forums, but the majority aren't).

IQ is a spectrum

user pls even a brainlet like me got that one right

Feynman had 120 iq tho, 10 points of difference is nothing

on the other hand, I have failed every single attempt I made at learning math (real analysis, digital signal processing, even mechanics and thermodynamics).

The average doctor IQ is like 115 you fucking nerd virgin

explain it to a nignog-level brainlet please

It was 125, and it is believed it's only because the test prioritized verbal reasoning, and he wasn't very good with it.

I score in the 130s on tests that have a verbal component but under 110 on pure spatial reasoning tests.

It's so liberating to realize I'm just a terminology savant with no actual talent for science. I can be a broke underachieving shell of a person with no regrets.

You can actually have a career in STEM even with an average spatial IQ, the same way that Einstein and other geniuses made up for their low verbal IQ with their high spatial IQ. I've come to realize that verbal IQ is not only about saying pretty, big words, but it also helps with abstraction.

No shit. You thought real IQ test were just pattern recognition shit like the shitty online iq tests you took?

> x -> ○ -> ▲ -> x
plus left shift columns

Draw it in paint to elaborate please or ill suck your dick faggot

>IQs above 150
>well-defined
pick one

X -> circle -> triangle -> X, pieces shift to the right

Wrong

Great, you found an explanation for 3 random rows

lmao

>guess the pattern I'm thinking about
>no, not that one, the one I'm thinking about
this is like that retarded game kids play
>guess the number I'm thinking about

>be given build a model from those samples to predict the next symbol
>multiple models can exist

Go to OEIS
type in a sequence
surprise, multiple continuations exist for different interpretation, what makes one of them "more correct" than the other?

oeis.org/search?q=1,2,4,8&sort=&language=&go=Search

I got 133. Considering how many times I've done this fucking test it should be higher.

Thanks brother. You are the man

>he doesn't understand how IQ norming works

you can't compare IQ tests from 1952 to IQ tests today.

>EE
>science

Post your score brainlet

>tfw 140

It depends from which scare you retard

I think it's H. One cell always remains constant in each row. In the first row, the X in the bottom left always stays the same. In the second, it's the circle in the middle. In the bottom row, every cell has a different symbol except for the top middle X. Only H choice has an X in the top middle.

pic related is a different test, the one from mensa norway
and 134 on this one

ITT: people justifying their shortcomings with a number taken on the internet

I'm curious about your motivation behind this post. It seems like you have nothing better to put your mind to. Or this is the best your mind can do.

This

You're like the 5th person ITT who thinks they can pierce the veil and expose everyone in the thread

tfw medical researcher but only an iq of 108
Well fuck guys guess I should just resign

>take IQ test
>asks for credit card number

IQ tests are for pussy niggas shut the fuck up OP

THAT is the IQ test user.

IQ is not real, back to /pol/

ALERT ::::: :::: :::: ALERT

THIS user IS SAYING IF YOU HAVE AN IQ OF 125 YOU ARE SMARTER THAN FEYNMAN

IF YOU HAVE AN IQ HIGHER THAN 125 YOU ARE LITERALLY SMARTER THAN FEYNMAN

ALERT ####### ALERT

>Do test
>Basically guess on the last couple of ones
>Get 130
Fuck, this probably explains why I suck at everything relating to math.

That or this test is bullshit and I'm just a dumb nigger.

knowing what kind of personality Feynman had he probably memed his test.

Also he went to a college math olympiad with little to no preparation and he scored perfect.... so yeah i'm calling bullshit.

no if you have an iq above 125 you are literally smarter than feynman according to sci

also, you can literally study for iq exams and inflate your scores, just like the gre and sat and act

By the way, is Surely you're joking a good book?

So that means that IQ test are bullshit. Breaking news uh.

>The MEDIAN score was 152, and that's AFTER excluding the physical scientists from the math portion on the basis that it would be too easy for them.

math master race

!!! STOP REPEATING THE FEYNMAN 125 NONSENSE !!!

Everyone always talks about Feynman's modest grade school IQ score of 124. To understand this score we have to remember that typical IQ tests (e.g., administered to public school children) tend to have low ceilings. They are not of the kind that Roe used in her study.

One can imagine that the ceiling on Feynman's exam was roughly 135 (say, 99th percentile). If Feynman received the highest score on the mathematical portion, and a modest score of 115 on the verbal, we can easily understand the resulting average of 124.

However, it is well known that Feynman was extremely strong mathematically. He was asked on short notice to take the Putnam exam for MIT as a senior, and received the top score in the country that year! On Roe's test Feynman's math score would presumably have been > 190, with a correspondingly higher composite IQ.

Also, the fact that everyone ALWAYS brings up ONE PHYSICIST'S IQ as evidence of a supposedly lower IQ threshold in physics should be a big fucking red flag.

It doesn't fucking matter. 1 in 1,000 is still 1 in 1,000, regardless of the generation. The market hasn't changed that much that suddenly 1 in 10 (corresponding to an IQ of 120) can become scientists. It just doesn't work that way. If anything the threshold is higher because of international competition.

Hypothesis here.

Most preeminent scientists have inflated egos to match. I have to imagine that these men would either prepare on practice IQ tests (which invalidates the resulting IQ score fyi), or refuse to allow their IQ score to be used in the study if they thought they scored poorly.

>math major
>middle of the pack in classes
>35 math act, 780 math sat

tfw think i may be intelligent but too scared to take an IQ test and be let down

Practicing for IQ tests only lowers your score about 2 to 4 points, unless you study the exact questions that are on the tests. Most such tests are designed to be uncoachable. People spend hours studying for the SAT, but their score increases asymptote after about 60 points.

only increases your score*

Yep

i got both a 97th percentile score and a 99th percentile score on two different mensa tests, do i have to drop my major bcus i'm not in the .01%? rip.