Why do so many molecules with conjugated pi bonds have carcinogenic effects...

why do so many molecules with conjugated pi bonds have carcinogenic effects? brainlet chem-engineer lecturer couldnt answer my question

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercalation_(biochemistry)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Probably cause his area of expertise is developing the best way to make kilotons of shit, not what happens when you put milligrams of shit into the body of a specific species.

It's just one of life's great mysteries.

Benzene oxidases and produces a compound that interacts with DNA.

I know I was just memeing, chem engineer student myself

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercalation_(biochemistry)

tl;dr: being flat helps these compounds get in between DNA base pairs easier and leads to mutations.

Oxidated compounds of benzene (and other aromatics) produce these things called free radicals (I think that's what they're called)

They easily pass through cell membranes and interact with the process of reading DNA or some shit like that.

Also, I'm a chem eng student. Suck it.

They strongly interact with DNA and interfere with transduction too.

Every homolitic reaction produces free radicals Einstein. Guy on top of you answered it correctly.

Also, do you recommend chemE?

Ever seen a Citosine molecule?

They don't, there are plenty of compounds with benzene rings like benzoic acid that aren't carcinogenic.

>Citosine
What fucked up spelling is that?

What does cytosine have to do with benzene?

Because they can form epoxides that will adduct with DNA.

What career path can you take as a chem eng student? What's the money like?

electrons are dangerous

It's like a molecular shuriken that fucks up your DNA.

neato burrito

He probably meant since the structure is similar, the body can mistake benzene with Cystosine, just like most drugs' structure are similar to GABA or other nerotransmettors

Why do so many molecules with carbon atoms have carcinogenic effects?
My brainlet lecturer couldn't answer my question, what a retard hah!

My lecturer once said that some of 'em have just the right size and electric charge to fit in between the DNA chains like a glove, thus making these DNA chains malformed and leading in some case to cancer

Is it really? There's no aromatic ring in cytosine AFAIK, it has totally different chemical properties.

There is; count the conjugated electrons: two on amine N, four in double bonds.
I don't know about properties of heterocycles though.

I don't think cytosine has the same resonance structure as benzene due to the lack of conjugated bonds all around the ring. Look between the amines for the interruption.

Cytosine is not aromatic, look up huckels rule

that is why you very rarely have homolitic reactions in the body. radicals are too reactive, too unspecific. and can easily fuck shit up.

that nigga looks scary

The majority of organic molecules have carcinogenic effects, not just those in particular.

I know, this is now completely off topic, but I plan on picking up ChemE in university and I'd like to use the opportunity to ask a room full of chemists one or two questions.
The first would be, is abstract algebra an important field in chemistry and when yes, how is it related.