Can glass soak up moisture?

Can glass soak up moisture?
Even just a small amount?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2Z6UJbwxBZI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

More precisely, there is a crystal lattic that glass forms. Crystal lattices are structural, in the sense that their net torque is zero. Therefore, water molecules cannot fit in the grooves of the glass molecules because of the torque from the electromagnetic force that the electrons from the glass are expiraling.

There has been extensive research on this matter, however the best is yet to come. Scientists theorize there is a temperature fluctuation within the glass when it is heated to form sand.

>water molecules cannot fit in the grooves of the glass molecules
thanks, i'm glad someone understood what I was getting at. I didn't word it very well
with the bit about temperature fluctuation and lattice structure - if the structure was wider could a glass cup like pic be smooth to the touch but seep water through it like a cloth?

It's possible. The likely option is no, because when you change the lattice you change the idenity of the glass.

Look up helium supercooling on youtube. Helium molecules seep through the container like it's a cloth (similar to your idea) when temperatures approach 0 K

that was pretty cool, I haven't seen this before
youtu.be/2Z6UJbwxBZI
although, it says in it that the liquid can climb the walls of the beaker and that's how it gets to the outside of it. 1:18 in vid.
still interesting though.

Yes you could manufacture such a thing, maybe not out of glass but there are plenty of materials that are permeable to water but could be made to feel smooth.

>there is a crystal lattic that glass forms
Isn't glass amorphous?

And why do you mean glass cannot adsorb (as opposed to absorb) moisture?

Yes

The conditions needed for this is cool air with tons of moisture

Forgot to clarify

Look up potential energy of water
The surrounding conditions need to fulfil the conditions to satisfy movement into the glass

glass is NOT a crystal, it's amorphous

Glass is a liquid so some amount of the water molecules will get mixed with the glass molecules.

Holy shit, this threat is so dumb. I don't even want to start correcting all of you retards.

Glass don't have pores that can hold water molecules.

So no.

Yes, you just have to put it under 300 kilokelvins of pressure

Glass readily adsorpts water on it's surface.

That is why in chemistry, when you want to carry out a moisture-sensitive reaction, you heat your reaction flask under vacuum for a few minutes with a heatgun.

Wouldn't the glass break?

Im just hoping at least half of them are trolling

what do you study/studied?

just like how oil mixes with water!!!

Yes.

This. In organic chemistry we were instructed to bake our glassware for this reason prior to performing a lab with a moisture-sensitive reactant. Apparently the glass can collect enough moisture from the air to botch the reaction.

This sounds like a cleverly disguised condensation troll thread.

>Scientists theorize there is a temperature fluctuation within the glass when it is heated to form sand.

What the fug did I just read?

It does.
We're talking trace amounts here.

>liquid
Fallen for the supercooled fluid, I see.
Memesci, geeet.

I'm going to walk 5 fahrenheits of length away from this thread.