True scientist

>Alternative facts are a real number whose square is -1

?

>Alternative facts are enough reasons to make a huge tabloid, getting paid and make a living after all the studies I've made along my life.

>Alternative facts are a spectrum

True scientist masterrace

Alternative facts are i?

I assume they meant sqrt 2.

That would be [math]e^{-2\pi i \xi t}[/math], though.

Alternative facts are complex.

I walked in the march with a sign that showed the Navier-Stokes equation, demanding that we find three dimensional solutions. Most people looked at me strangely, or said YEAH MATH RULES

Idk I had fun though, I recommend protesting for solutions of millennium problems.

kek

Liberals trying to be the champions of science, hahaha.

Sure conservatives are bad enough, but you can't ignore biological science and then march in the name of science with your arrogant and pretentious signs.

God they annoy me.

Calling them "imaginary" numbers was a mistake, they're no more imaginary than "real" numbers.

Any chance all mathematicians can all agree to call it something else?

right after we invent a catchy name for the nilpotent part of dual numbers.

It's imaginary because there is no basis in reality for such a concept.

what is EM

Explain the name "real numbers", then.

should just stop teaching the term "imaginary" and stick to "complex numbers".

i guarantee you trump didn't get this one

I don't remember who, but a notorious mathematician once said they should be called lateral numbers if my memory is correct.

wtf I hate science now

DRUMPF BTFO

I'm a little flimsy on formal definitions, but aren't complex numbers called complex because they aren't totally real or imaginary? They are of the form a + bi where a,b are real and non-zero?

I've once heard a mathematician (on numberphile or so) say that he liked the interpretation of complex numbers to mean what complex does in chemistry. where you have e.g. aqueous complexes of metal ions. so in math you have complexes of real and imaginary numbers.

Hot

you're my kind of guy, pal

Yeah but it's not like complex numbers are the only way of doing that. Plain vectors let you have tuples of real numbers orthogonal to each other. Then there are quaternions, split-complex numbers, etc. There's nothing special about complex numbers per se.

are you taking inorganic chem? we see plenty of these octahedral coordination complexes.

Complex numbers are all numbers of the form a+ib where a,b real. Obviously this includes all real numbers and all imaginary numbers.

sqrt(-1) is not a real number. It's an imaginary or it's a complex, but it's not a real.

the sqrt(-1)=i meme is annoying, since sqrt(-1)=-i is also true, and you can't take a principle root since "take it from the positive side" doesn't really make sense for complex numbers.