IQ -

Veeky Forums

Are online IQ tests reliable? Also, what are the cognitive abilities between different groups of the scale? What separates someone with an IQ of say, 100 from someone with one in the 170+?

Is it fair to assume that you can judge how high or low your IQ is based on whether you are failing or succeeding on your own, self dictated goals in life?

Other urls found in this thread:

nature.com/news/how-to-raise-a-genius-lessons-from-a-45-year-study-of-super-smart-children-1.20537
cell.com/neuron/abstract/S0896-6273(12)00584-3
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

iq is a meam

Then how come there are not physicists with down syndrome?

IQ tests are an awful and unreliable way to measure intelligence.

IQ tests are only good for testing for mental retardation.
Past an IQ of 120, Your IQ really doesn't matter.

Based on what do you make such an statement? Why is 120 the limit?

How come there are no crippled firefighters?

According to the psic, my IQ is something between 145 and 150, and I'm having a hard time learning mathematics by myself with books, I often listen to some retard on youtube to give me the basic idea so I can start from there.

IQ means shit, I'm a stupid fuck.

Dick waving for those who, ironically enough, don't use their dicks.

jesus, the guy who put that signature on the jet must have huge hands

>Have down syndrome
>Consistently Score between 50 to 80 in IQ tests depending on the severity of the illness

>This makes it understandable that no one should expect people with down syndrome to ever become quantum physicists

>Be a normal healthy adult
>Consistently score between 70 to 80 in IQ tests

>This does not make it understandable that anyone should not expect people with an IQ of 80 to ever be able to become quantum physicists
>How come there are no crippled firefighters?

They keep rolling out of it.

Really? I suppose you must be afflicted by some sort of mood disorder, depressed/anxious maybe? Those illnesses really fuck with your memory and executive functions.

How can one recover tho?

>Yeah people with very low IQ can't do physics, so it must gauge equally good its whole spectrum.

/pol/tards don't understand nuanced arguments like that friendo

>wanting to go into a stem field from as young as I can remember
>realize my iq is only around 110-115
>tfw too dumb to even go into engineering

Maybe you guys are lacking in reading comprehension, because that's not what I stated, but what I asked in the OP. Instead of providing me with arguments or facts that would allow us to better understand this phenomena, you guys are pulling things out of your butt and them blaming me for it.

IQ as a metric of a population is significant. IQ as a metric of an individual is simply not relevant. Its like saying BMI is all you need to tell if someone is healthy.

judging by your response you probably don't need to know.

>I GOT A HIGH IQ SCORE WHY WONT MY MOMMY LOVE ME.
fuck off faggot

I am trying to find the answers too. It seems Exercise, healthy diet, meditation, Self authoring (writing down your biography, your feelings, problems and your solution to them) possibly mix with supplements that aid neurogenesis, such as Fish oil, Lion's Mane, Bacopa Monneri, Ginseng is the way too go, but it is easier said than done specially when your mood is all over the ground.

Medication is probably good if it allows you to get started on this, whether you go with serotonin, dopamine or nor-adrenaline I guess depends on what works best for you.

>the IQ doesn't matter meme
>it is perfectly possible to factor analyze and rank order people by any other capacity (athleticism, neuroticism, memory, health) but NOT INTELLIGENCE because reasons

You guys are as retarded as flat earthers.

Not really. The difference between 120 and say 145 is obvious just by talking to someone.

>Let's not bring anything worthwhile to the discussion and instead make this thread a shitfest while blaming OP of being a brainlet for no apparent reason.

Gee, if I didn't know better I would suspect you guys have reasons to be so uppity about the topic.

Those arnt made up metrics you stupid fuck. IQ is a moric test that movea the goal posts to where ever the fuck it wants and its been show numerous times that on an individual basis IQ is not a good metric to classify people by. Only if you go by large populations can you actually use IQ to study them by.

What separates intelligence from those other things? Duh. They're insecure about their intelligence but not those other things, so they are using motivated reasoning to dismiss IQ.

I took 2 iq tests in highschool and averaged to 132 and i think IQ is a moronic measurment

>this amount of motivated reasoning
>this amount of cognitive dissonance

Hot damn.

youre the one with the motivated reasoning if you dont know what my IQ score is but assume its low just because i disagree with the assertion that IQ is usefull

>arnt
>moric
>movea

Bait?

>bringing nothing to the thread while complaining about others not bringing anything to the thread.

Veeky Forums gets as freaked out about innate intelligence as /ic/ does about the possibility that some people are naturally better artists. Gee, I wonder why.

nah just typing on mobile

I brought questions to ponder about, if you don't like them or my thread you are free not to participate in it.

Reminds me of that scene from "The Gambler" about how no one likes to believe that wanting something badly enough doesn't mean you'll get it.

Um, so am I....

Obviously there is innate intelligence but thats not what IQ tests. If IQ was a measure of innate intelligence then why would the score vary so largly YOY?

So? Am I supposed to believe you just because you have a high IQ?

>nothing past 120 IQ matters!

I'm sure this pure intellectual honesty and not butthurt 120ers wanting the race to stop where they find comfortable lol.

IQ tests correlate .9 to .95 with general intelligence, fag. Read the fucking literature before you shitpost.

>being this baised and only making strawmen
You imply that their reasoning for being against the IQ standard is because they have low IQ scores themselves. I'm saying that I have a high IQ score but still think its a pile of garbage on an individual level.

Based on what do you believe that to be the case?

What's a good IQ test online so I can what the type of questions are? I've only seen a pattern recognition one, but honestly it seemed like something that required people to train to take than some innate ability. I figure if someone were to study how to take IQ tests, they'd be really good at taking IQ tests, but they'd still be dumb as fuck in every other aspect of their life.

> why would the score vary so largly

Because there's a large difference in innate intelligence in the population? You know, just as some people are 5'1'' and others 6'7''

>hurr durr muh heritable g factor
holy shit i said why does it very so much then every fucking year an individual would take it. g factor is nothing more than an artifact of bad testing practices building familiarities in the brain.
How are you people so dense? probably just ((((you))x100

>Beginning in 1921, Terman selected teenage subjects on the basis of high IQ scores, then tracked and encouraged their careers. But to Terman's chagrin, his cohort produced only a few esteemed scientists.
>So Stanley decided to try the Scholastic Aptitude Test (now simply the SAT).
>A 2013 analysis5found a correlation between the number of patents and peer-refereed publications that people had produced and their earlier scores on SATs and spatial-ability tests. The SAT tests jointly accounted for about 11% of the variance; spatial ability accounted for an additional 7.6%

maybe SAT scores are a better metric?

I only skimmed this but it says that's people that are smart as young kids succeed more than even the smartest people that were average or less as young kids. Or something like that.
nature.com/news/how-to-raise-a-genius-lessons-from-a-45-year-study-of-super-smart-children-1.20537

>if someone were to study how to take IQ tests

The point is that you don't, you are face with problems you don't know so you can find a solution to them, just like in real life. It is not very hard to visualize the difference between being able to solve a problem due to past experience (crystallized knowledge) and solving a problem do to higher creative ability.

cell.com/neuron/abstract/S0896-6273(12)00584-3

>Let's argue how IQ is meaningless while writing like a kindergarten and accusing others of being very low in the IQ scale.

>Lets attack spelling mistakes instead of the actual argument.
Nice dude. Great thread. Keep in up (((you)))

>"while writing like a kindergarten"
Lol what

>(((you)))

What do you mean by this, do you think I am Jewish? I don't follow.

>Are online IQ tests reliable?
No.
>Is it fair to assume that you can judge how high or low your IQ is based on whether you are failing or succeeding on your own, self dictated goals in life?
No.