What is the most popular languages used in science...

What is the most popular languages used in science? I want to learn computer science over the summer and want to make sure I learn a useful language.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaconda_(Python_distribution)
Veeky
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_Biology_Open_Language
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

according to /g/, all languages are shit
hope that helps

Python is based.

Check out Anaconda, it'll knock your fucking socks off.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaconda_(Python_distribution)

>according to /g/, all languages are shit
this is factually true. I hope I'm helpful.

In REAL science, AKA Physics, we use C++ and Python.

Either start python and go to c++ once you feel comfortable coding or start c++ and go to python if you find cpp too hard (lol). Source: I'm a CS major. Make sure to come up with the ideas for and create your own programs with the stuff you learn in each section, or you won't get very far.

Learn C++

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering

Start with Python, the language itself is pretty good, but you will soon realize that its I, CPython, is absolute horseshit. Worse, you will then realize that you cannot switch to a better interpreter like PyPy because it doesn't have numpy and scipy bindings (yet).
So you'll start using Cython and C++.

No it's not, it's a horrible language.

Overwhelmingly Python, it's easy to pick up (dynamically typed, interpreted, simple syntax, etc) and most importantly has a heaping of libraries for basically everything. So you don't really need to know anything, you just use shit from libraries. Which is obviously good for Scientists and Mathematicians. They're not there to build software and libraries.

There are plenty of more specific languages in use (Fortran, Lisp/Clojure, Haskell, Julia (quite new), and more) but they don't come anywhere near Python in use-range and libraries. C++ is probably the next one, but I'm not sure if it's actually needed. The only benefit it brings is performance and more in-depth functionality. I don't think most of Science really requires it, it's in wider use than it needs to be.

So as other anons have said, Python and C++ (if you need it).

I started with batch .bat
Then did Java
Then C++ (several graphics libraries)
Then Python (for cs exam)
And Lua
Recently Iv been into web development, so I learned JavaScript (node, angular, etc, etc.) HTML and CSS. I also picked up a bit of ruby on rails

trust me, learn Python
not, because it's the best language just because you get bindings to every framework that you could possibly need verry fast.
my background is CS major, working in research

/g/ is a couple of unemployed assholes who care about cristmas-tree-illuminated "Battle Stations" bullshiting about gentoo.

lisp cocksucker detected

Python.

Also C/C++ and fortran for supercomputers.

Programming languages are on a spectrum.

What about R?

In all the benchmarks I've seen it always comes dead last, why people use it is beyond me.

Haskell

>States that Python is a hortible language
>Proceeds to praise and recommend Python

Do you smell burnt toast user?

Python
Haskell
C++
MatLab
Mathermatica

In that order.
Other paths are discouraging orinhibiting

Fortran LOL

He was shitting on anaconda, user.

Scratch

Fortran for fast stuff, anything thats run on supercomputers
Idris / Haskell for functional stuff, as they are quite mathematical
C / C++ for embedded stuff and general purpose applications
Python for some quick scripts and calculations

With all these darkies getting affirmative actioned into science it's going to be Ebonics in a few years.

This

Also not mentioning my favorite programming language ubuntu.
kys

Python
Java/C# for an OOP language
C++/C/Assembly for performance
Haskell for a functional language

Learn in this order.

PROLOG
R
O
L
O
G

And Mathematica and Matlab.
They are programming languages tied to a software package.

>Haskell
Does it have any other usage besides CS research?

Agda by far.

>horrible language
[citation needed]

>Fortran
>2017

Julia is good for numerics with syntax similar to Matlab. But Python can optimized on most purposes for similar speed. And if Python is horrible, Matlab is even more.

Lisp/Haskell and their derivatives are mainly used by computer scientists.

Matlab is mostly used in engineering. Easy to make prototype programs, comes with good toolboxes and it's easy to make and edit nice graphs.

Also the community is helpful and there are a lot of code examples for almost any situation.

Same applies to Python too.

If you want to make quick programs to carry out boring/repetitive tasks to save time, want to test out a new idea with ok performance: Python, Matlab

If you want higher performance: well-written C, C++, C#, Assembly, etc.

If you want to waste system resources: Java, badly written C/C++

If you want to develop web stuff: HTML, Java, Javascript, PHP

Fortran 90 is the correct answer.

you'll get a SHITLOAD of retarded as fuck answers

here's good advice: the language isn't nearly as important as you think. pick good learning material, not a """good""" language. ocw.mit.edu 6.00SC is great

seems to go hand in hand.

Python, Matlab/ Octave, R, C

>based

Nice redditspeak

>mfw I actually do all of my research in javascript
get fukt

maybe because performance isn't everything

>Java/C# for an OOP language

Kill yourself

it's good

> the GNU project is a programming language

lol what

Learn c or c++
They're both high level but don't really coddle you either, so you can develop a decent understanding of what is actually going on "behind the scenes." The also have the benefit of being the mother tongue of a huge number of languages, so if you understand c/c++, you're in a good position to learn more

Although the gentoo meme is real, the battlestation kids are directly from /v/, so please abstain yourself from shouting your uneducated opinion.

Install gentoo

>Fortran

Are you in your middle 40s?

this desu

real men program in pure clang

Learn Rust+Golang

Fortran is still widely used, user.

C, C++ or Fortran. Python have horrible performance compared to said three languages. Yes, even if you use numpy and scipy the performance is still horseshit in comparison.

If the scientific computing is not computationally heavy then python is an option but then most meaningful scientific computations are expensive

Anything other than Arch or Kali is a sin

What's a better alternative to R? I've been fooling around with it and it's just alright. Is Maple any good?

Why not php? What's exactly wrong with it?

Brainlet asking this, i use it for webdev...

Gentoo, Slackware, Crux, Arch.
You're an idiot if you use Kali as a main OS, security/hacker wanna be

>What is Google?
It's okay user, focus on breathing

Yeah google shows me tons of tutorials on how to do everything with php and autistic blog ranting about how buzzword.js is so much better.

Thanks for the breathing tip, i almost forgot about it.

>What is the most popular languages used in science?
english

H A S K E L L
A
S
K
E
L
L
It's literally perfect.
Parallel computing? Use Haskell
Quick protoyping without crashes? Use Haskell
Useful type checking? Use Haskell
Writing parsers? Use Haskell
Making AI? Use Haskell
Painless dependency management? Use Haskell
Want beautiful, concise code that exposes the core idea directly? Use Haskell
You can use it for almost everything

Undoubtedly c++ and python

Learn C++.

Python and Matlab do too much stuff in the background to really get your head around them when starting out programming. Learn them after C++.

Fortran is dated, learn it when you find that you need it.

C++ for high performance.
Python if you're a brainlet and just want to call C/C++ libs for their performance.

if haskell were a girl, it would be my wife

This and
This. C++, Python and Haskell, the holy trinity

>ywn have a haskell AI gf
why even live

Lol

Nice meme.

Learn SBOL, program cells
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_Biology_Open_Language

latex

It's good, especially if you're doing anything with statistics

easyC and Turing

One time I tried going to college to learn about some science. Everything seemed pretty nice and all the scientists spoke Latin. Problem was I didn't understand a word of it, so I dropped out. That's why I'm stuck doing all my experiments in my basement.

>Use Common Lisp or C. Otherwise just fucking kill yourself because you're not even programming you fucking retarded babby.
t. /dpt/

kys codemonkey

The only correct answer.

He both claimed that Python was widely used and it was shit. I don't see a contradiction. Yes, he did implicitly recommend shit, but it's not his fault that an entire industry decided to use shit.

Almost all mathematic calculations run on supercomputers are programs written in Fortran m8

For commercial purposes, should i bother to learn Java ? Or is there a better language ?