I breezed through high school and got a 3.8 without much studying. Why the fuck is the trend opposite now in college...

I breezed through high school and got a 3.8 without much studying. Why the fuck is the trend opposite now in college? Am I fucked? Did the intelligence buff wear off when I enter college? How the fuck does one even "study"?

A friend works with people like you, who do really well in high school, this gets them into an ivy league school, and then suddenly they can't keep up and become suicidal. There are many people out there like you. Just hang in there and know that your intelligence isn't the only measure of your worth as a person.

Fuck I'm now actually worried that I'll drop out. People whom had worked their ass of getting in here are actually doing better than me, what gives?

>breezed through highschool
>not so easy in college
Stop being a slacker. You were smart enough to get through highschool without much effort, but now you need to actually work hard. Simple. Your hardworking peers just have a better work ethic than you.

Same here, highschool was to easy, never had to develop much of a work ethic and could just play vidya all day.

I carried over that behavior and failed hard my first time in uni.

Fuck man. I don't have the same willpower as them. Never actually had the difficulty bump to pressure me into developing it. I thought shit just will come to me and I thought it will stay that way. Is it too late to start "studying"?

I am (was) in the same boat, 3.8/3.9 in hs, went to major university & got my ass kicked in 2 years.

Granted, i could have tried harder & i did not have a good support group & living situation as i went out of state very far from home.

But, you have to learn how to study (duh) manage your time, and use the resources & help around you. At university, everyone is in the same boat. Nobody wants to see anyone fail. Keep your head up & keep pushing your school work.

>sources: me
>academically dismissed from state college sophomore year
>spent year at cc retaking classes, working, & growing the fuck up.
>now back at another state college succeeding in school & social life

Uni? Northern Iowa? I went to Iowa State.

Never too late. The key habit formation is baby steps. Set incremental goals. You're more likely to stick with them that way.

Same here although I did kinda fry myself doing too much exstacy and shrooms my first year in college.
I still manage to pass(Cs and Bs) without as much effort as my classmates but damn I feel slower. It's like my brain doesn't make connections like it used to. Cal 1&2 weren't too bad but physics was pretty fucky.
I think it's all about actually learning how to study. If you were like me you never really learned and now when there's a lot of information to take in you don't know how to efficiently sort through it.
Find a system that works for you. Maybe put on some music and make a good pot of coffee?
Also, at least here in the states most of what is taught is essentially just the same shit over and over until you graduate high school except they tack on more complex details as you go along. Once you get through basics in college(still the same thing) then you actually have to give a shit about what you learn and seek out information on you're own. It's not just there for people to absorb.
Also some professors straight up suck, YouTube is your best friend, at least for science involving physics, chemistry, and mathematics.

I agree on that. To point out what "learning how to learn" really means: it means to ignore unimportant things in the subject material. Nothing more.

But damn is it hard in the first year of uni.

Read the course books. You might be really smart, but you can't know everything from your mother's milk.

>schools spoonfeed kids so hard you have to be retarded to not catch at least some of it
>Kids with actual learning ability get free grades but never learn to actually study
>Ends up screwing over the top percentiles because they're so afraid of making things difficult for the bottom percentiles

Every time.

you just have to learn how to actually do work, it's not that hard but there's a bit of a learning curve to getting used to it since high schools are like daycares now

my undergrad gpa each semester (on a 4.3 scale)
>2.52
>3.35
>4.00
>4.11
>4.00
>3.77
>4.24

Ah I went to community college because cheaper(pell grant covered full time with 3,000 bucks left over), smaller classes, more liberal schedule, and waaaay closer to my house.
Im in my first year at a university after a two year break and wow it's different.
It's sucks though since I took a two year break, most people at my level are somewhat younger and I feel the age gap. They're all cliquey and over enthusiastic while I just kinda wanna do my shit and leave.

Anyone here mostly friends with people who don't go to school?

Same here, friendo. It's a common thread on Veeky Forums it seems. My first semester I got into a good school on my high school performance and quickly learned that I had no idea how to study, and after some life changing events I was left incredibly depressed and lost.

Got my shit together at a CC and after a few more speed bumps I transfered to a better school and am about to be published.

Feels pretty good, man. Just keep at it. You'll get to where you want to be. Even if it takes longer than you expected.

same here, third year of CS and I feel like i wont be able to end the fourth and god knows how I will do to find work
probably be flipping burgers or digging ditches, only problem with that, is that i could have started years ago and not lose 4 years

apply to grad school user :) delay working another few years

I'm studying CS, and I don't spend too much time on uni related stuff (mostly do programming on my own as a learning procedure). I was passing all of my courses with no problems, studying day or two before exams, but now I have the diff eqn course and I don't know what to do.
I didnt't sleep for 5 days and I only got 45 from the midterm.

I don't even live in America.

What if you have the most autistic biology class ever where the exam consists of asking all the unimportant things?

brainwash yourself into actually getting interested in the subjects and work work work

study in the library with headphones in. Don't leave until you're done no matter what. Go to your school's tutoring center, your teachers office hours, soak up all resources readily available

Ok fine. Fuck this shit's a fuckin drag. Wish I could go back in time in high school where I have the privilege to play video games all day.

damn really? that's fucking impressive

It's just a skill that you have to develop. Stop questioning shit and just ducking do it. That's all you gotta do.

Take adderall. Develop a momentum and routine in the subject and then stop taking it and try to maintain the routine afterwards.
Alternatively, selegiline can help you build your motivation. Modafinil is also an alternative, but it makes you kinda robotic. Infact people have reported increase in IQ with Modafinil. Keep in mind to drop these boots after sometime because you'll become a brainlet if you get dependent on them

admittedly homework grades in math are pretty much free for the taking if you really want them

the only real potential grade droppers are exams and midterms

do what this guy didhard drugs are great for people like you

or try soft drugs like this they'll make it all better.

You could also smoke weed if that's your thing

>not adjusting to breeze through whatever class you're in
whom lets the brainlets on here?

4.3 scale? What kind of fuckery is this?

A+ = 4.3
A = 4.0
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3.0
B- = 2.7
etc.

high school standards are lowered to make the students look better for more funding. Your 3.8 doesn't mean shit on college grounds where the dedicated ascend and the uninvested crash and burn. Adapt or drop out brainlet.

>typical i never studied but if i did i would go to harvard mentality

4.0+ in HS, 2350 on SAT, got into honors program at university. it required a 3.65 avg. partied all through my freshman year, crammed for exams, got < 3.65, got kicked out of honors program in the first year. they get to go to florence, and berlin for fucking free and i got kicekd out for being a dumbass.

This is a consequence of special snowflake syndrome. You're praised for being smart your whole life so that once you're at the same level as everyone else, it crushes your ego. Work hard faggot. Whatever you are doing right now, go do practice problems instead. Go over your notes. Read your textbooks.

I thought highschool was a joke but I never thought I was very smart. I thought university would be incredibly hard. I did better in my 4th and 3rd year of math than I did anytime before in my life. I was among the best students from the start of university.

>fuck your life even more with ecstacy
Oh uhh thanks buddy

I was a lot like you when I first came to college user. I went from being the smartest kid in my hometown just another brainlet at university.

If you're actually serious about succeeding then the first thing you gotta realize is that your current worth is next to nothing. That 3.8 you breezed to, that's fucking trash. Chadley graduated HS with a 4.8 while boning more chicks than you will in your entire lifetime. He's got the intelligence boost to breeze through college, not you.

But you've had a taste of what it's like to be the smartest kid in the room. You don't want to become one of the plebeians you used to make fun of. You wanna compete with Chadley. So its time to realize your retarded and the only way to catch up is to work your ass off motherfucker.

School is now your job. For eight hours a day you have your head buried in a book, learning everything you can. Go beyond the scope of your classes and you'll do better at retaining the basic information you'l be tested on. Find what study habits work for you and stick to them.

Remember how you're not surrounded by the fucking hicks you grew up with? There are some seriously smart people around you. Seek them out and befriend the non-autistic ones. Talk to them about what your working on, and listen to what they have to say.

Also get a research gig with a professor. It'll help for a number of reasons so just do it faggot.

All of this is gonna be a lot of work so make sure to go fucking crazy in your spare time. Get drunk, smoke weed, do psychedelics, fuck bitches. Whatever suits you. Develop the work hard play hard mentality and soon enough you'll be just like Chadley.

You just need to learn how to learn. You have to be a literal retard to fail high-school, especially if you live in the US.

After you actually learned how to learn, all you need is some determination and discipline . If motivation is your problem, then you are pursuing the wrong path.

Or you might consider killing yourself

you went to a shitty highschool and were below average but since your school was so utter shit you were getting As so that the truly stupid could be given Ds. You got to college and realized you're below average.

further... I took three years off to work and travel after highschool and when I went back to college I got strait As my first 2 years with little to no effort at a major university. I went to a spectacular highschool and got great grades there too.

Not if I could get into here.
(Too lazy to find a pic)
>Vetasri.jpg

You gonna elaborate on learning how to learn or what

/Thread

Also underrated post