Darkest material on earth looks like photoshop

Darkest material on earth looks like photoshop

youtube.com/watch?v=pUJyqQc75Vo

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vantablack
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fuck that really looks like ms paint.

is it possible to absorb 100% of light?

i'm not confident enough to say this is fully accurate, but i don't think that absorption and emission here is irrelevant. with that said, a perfect black body would be impossible because the radiation absorbed has to be emitted back at some point due to the exited state of the electron dropping down to a ground state. what i mean by this is that at some point, you are going to get all the electrons in their excited state, and then all they can do is just reflect further energy via emission. the way these objects work is that they have a large surface area and aren't smooth, so there are more electrons that can make contact with light. i may be wrong on that though so please no bully.

i think it's not paint or photoshop. If you search "vantablack" you can find this photo. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vantablack
It absorbs 99.965% of visible light.

Damn that looks pretty fucking cool

>put this on a simple set of clothing
>never be seen at night ever
Is this what being black is like?

The material will be blacker than the darkness around you so you'd actually stand out more

RGB value of 2 0 3

0 0 0 is black

255 255 255 is white

Holy shit, I need this to make a cloak. Literal invisibility at night.

>Real life black hole
these brainlets will do anything to rake in the clicks, won't they

When do we start painting military craft with something like this?

One real application is costing the inside of VR headsets

A current problem is reflections off of the inside surfaces

Heck, costing an entire movie theater with it would be neat too

I hate how when a bright scene starts you can see all of the other stuff going on in the room

Wouldn't that make finding your seat or leaving difficult if the whole theater was this black? the light would just get absorbed into everything?

BLACKED

this is old news

> duhhh it has uses in uhhhhh enguneering

no shit dumbfuck, what do they use it for?

I mean you wouldn't have to #BLACKED the seats/floor as well. just the walls I suppose

Guy's like the model for Ali G. Fo real.

this is how most dyes work:
>electron absorbs visible light photon and get exited
>different distribution of electrons changes the ideal length and/or angle of some bonds, causing them to wobble and transfer some of their kinetic energy to surrounding molecules (=heat)
>electron has now lost some of the energy it got from the photon
>falls back to ground state emmiting a photon with less energy (=longer wavelength), usually in the infrared spectrum
so it is possible for a dye to absorb visible light but only emit infrared.

Reminds me of the solar/thermal paint used at Gaviotas for passive solar water heaters

But more lab grade

Don't bully not experienced enough in QP to understand heat, only understand photoelectric effect and discrete energy levels, don't bully.

>Inb4 we make Stealth suits with this material

Cyborg Ninjas incoming

Its not mspaint, I saw a show and they were rubbing a blade along it and you could see it tear.

What happens to the light that gets absorbed? Does it become heat or something?

Yes, you can already see this effect in action because lightly colored clothes and buildings stay cooler in the summer than darker ones

Anything coated in Vantablack will turn a lot of light into heat

IT HAS USES

>giving everyone in the theater mesothelioma ten years from now just to get a marginally better viewing experience
nice

Could that be useful somehow?

Worth it

>heat or something
It has uses

Dude, he pointed a LASER (!) into it and the light never came back!

this

you'll look like a fucking spoopy ghost

All electromagnetically interacting matter has black body radiation.

1) take a candle, a yellow thin one used in shrines
2) hold something underneath it
3) get exactly this, minus the half a million research cash

Honestly though, how do we know its not? Have any of you ever seen it in person?

not unless you're a black hole