Common core

Post your favorite common core math problems

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UIKGV2cTgqA
foxnews.com/world/2017/01/18/gunfire-erupts-at-mexican-private-school-injuries-reported.html
s3.amazonaws.com/texasgop_pre/assets/original/2012Platform_Final.pdf
mathworld.wolfram.com/Lune.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The test was clearly on estimation.
Smartass kid deserved to get it wrong.

103 ~ 105
28 ~ 30
105 - 30 = 75

Jack's error was that he forgot to subtract 10. He did 427-306, the vapid cunt

This is just a parent that wanted to show off his degree. If he put any effort into that problem it would be pretty easy for him to solve it (if he was as smart as he claims).

This one really fired up my neurons

OP's pic was just the teacher being a cunt, the second one was a parent wanting to flaunt his degree, this one is just the teacher being flat out wrong

Everyone seems to be hating on common core, but these methods they're teaching is exactly what I'm doing in my head.

Why do Americans do this to themselves? Why do you guys even teach this shit?
What exactly does a student learn by just doing as they're told? Rather than doing what's right. Pic related

>What exactly does a student learn by just doing as they're told?

To become an obedient worker without critical thought?

For that exercise, it's silly with those numbers, yes, but it's to teach the concept. There are situations where estimating quickly makes sense instead of working out a tedious problem with large numbers

>I have 187.44 in my checking account til I get paid tomorrow
>I need to buy ~$30.00 of gas (actually my tank holds $31.23 worth)
>Do I have enough money to pay my $149.77 bill?

I barely passed with 37% maths and I think your retarded
Obey! Obey! Obey! It explains the liberal crisis

>solve 427 - 316

Proof that whoever is designing these questions does not even understand mathematics.

You do not solve 427-316. That is just a number. You, at best, find its standard representation. The word solve should be restricted to problems like x+2 = 5 but even then what is being asked is that you find the elements of the set [math] \{x \in G :x+2 = 5 \} [/math] where G is a group.

is this american maths?

>I barely passed with 37% maths and I think your retarded

Have you ever thought that the fact that you're retarded has affected your judgment on other peoples' retardation? Because I use the same method and I'm not bad at math, like you.

I was never taught ever how to estimate in school. Estimating is pretty simple and a child will figure it out on their own when they're older. I think their just wasting their time
I'd be a cunt to if I was paying for my child to be brought up as if he was a "gifted" child
Damn you

10 minutes as ε→0

I don't understand what's going on after subtracting three 100s what is the 107 97 87 77 67 57 between 121 and 127?

How is this wrong? 10/2=5 minutes per piece
5 minutes * 2 pieces = 10 minutes
5*3=15 minutes
5*4=20 minutes

>if she works just as fast

That's what the father wrote, he interpreted the -1 steps as -10 steps (and for some reason jumped straight from 127 to 107, not that smart it seems)

2 pieces = 1 saw cut = 10 minutes
3 pieces = 2 saw cuts = 10 + 10 minutes

>i fell for the bate

Because sawing one piece of wood into 2 pieces is the same action as sawing one of those two into a third.

???

>I love common core now

see
It says right there that it's 15 minutes, I hope you can figure out the rest

x=56-34
x=60-30-8
x=22

>saw a board into 2 pieces
>saw ANOTHER board into 3 pieces

No information on species or dimensions of boards. Is the same type of saw being used?
Does workman fatigue come into play?
Is Mario in a union? Cutting the third board may take long enough to require a mandatory break.
Bitch might get pregnant hanging around a construction site.

>tl;dr not enough info

>post stupid math problem
>sell it as "common core"
guaranteed replies

>243-87

I mentally solve this by changing 243 to 200 and taking 87-43 = 44.
Then I simply take 200-44=156

But that seems cumbersome. I think I will draw a number line next time.

wtf I hate arrays now.

>1 '3 '3
The only reason the upper one is more intuitive to you is because you were taught that one

Perhaps the problem should have involved less precise measurements then.

Even brainlets should know what 'another' means.

I didn't grow up with common core, but the bottom is how I always do these problems in my head. Add to numbers until you make them a multiple of the nearest five or ten and make them much easier to solve. It has been so long since I've been in school that I kinda forgot how to do it the top way (though given all the information there I could likely work my way backwards through the process to relearn it).

That seems reasonable enough tbqh

>common core math
For all non-Americans...
In America we have the "No Child left behind" idea. This means that schools and teachers are penalized for failing students. To fix this they are teaching the SIMPLEST way possible to do math. NOT the fastest or best, but the easiest. In America we teach to the dumbest slowest students. There is NO incentive to create many brilliant student only incentives to NOT produce a failing student.

People used to think the top way was convoluted and retarded too. People think that every time a new method is introduced.
youtube.com/watch?v=UIKGV2cTgqA

Well, teachers can not create brilliance either way.

What's worse in my opinion is that you do the same shit at university level. 30% failing is not unusual where I live, there are some exams with more than 50% of the people failing. Meanwhile I saw some stats from the US with an average of 10% failing, which is laughable unless 90% of the university students actually study and understand everything (which is hard to believe unless you make the exams really easy)

It makes me think there is a "everyone passes, but the grades determine how good you are" system in the US (which makes degrees kind of worthless), whereas here in Europe it's more a "only the good people pass" system

I thought "new math" was when they tried to teach set theory to elementary schoolers

Yeah.. We may have decreased the number of brilliant students we produce (fewer doctors, engineers, mathematicians), but we made DAMN sure our janitors can do basic math.

Pretty much. Almost any decent internship or program in the US requires a +3.5 GPA to even be considered.

This is false, if you have a 3.00 you'll be fine for internships.

Should we nuke America?

if your education is so communism why is college so expensive?

define "reasonable". Because working in tolerances of whole numbers is for shitters.

What do children feel when teachers do this to them in america?

>if your education is so communism why is college so expensive?

Pre-college is generally free public education.
Specialized for the dumbest.

College is student pays.
Specialized for the smartest.

We see the solution, and it's wrong

what if you're poor but smart?

>what if you're poor but smart?

Student loans are government backed and are set up preferring the poor.
There is little problem getting a college education in America for a smart poor person... the problem is paying off the loans later

Then pre-college you learn nothing cause you gotta wait up for the dummies

and college you just don't go cause you're poor or take our hella loans so you can be in debt after college

Can't blame him. Common core is rather arbitrary compared to the centuries old way of arithmetics

How do I know that the square is squared? Absolutely no information is giveb
So were gradually getting dumbed down? Thank you Jewish Overlords.

Yup. Also after your first job, that won't matter anymore - how well you "network" does

Wrong use of the word vapid

But he has extensively studied differential equations and other higher math applications. He should know, he's an electronics engineer.

Because of government defaults and loans for students. As student loans became a larger market, colleges realized they could hike up prices and get away with it. It's our biggest bubble right now.

Literally was on Reddit for a week and saw this got upvoted to the front page and realized it's 2brainlet4me.

Ooga booga common core

I remember it feeling terrible.

foxnews.com/world/2017/01/18/gunfire-erupts-at-mexican-private-school-injuries-reported.html
I am sure it's fine.

how many buckets

It take 5 minutes to saw a piece of board into one piece?
It takes 5 minutes to saw one piece of board into one piece?
It takes 5 minutes to saw one piece of board into itself?
It takes 5 minutes to not saw a board?
It takes minutes to not saw a board?

How is this common core again?

yes please. Lets nuke it all and then walmart will buy up all the land and the entire us will become one massive walmart with numerous indoor mcdonalds

isn't that what it is?

This desu

They feel "huh I guess math is too hard for me"

103 ~ 0
28 ~ 0
0-0=1
How told you to round like that?

>lets round all constants to other constants for no reason

>Obey! Obey! Obey! It explains the liberal crisis
You have to be able to obey simple instructions if you wish to achieve higher learning.

Sometimes, some practical skills require a combination of smaller skills to make use of. When you're learning the component bits, you may not appreciate the utility of each, but combined you have something useful.

As far as discouraging critical thinking, the entire core of liberalism is freedom from traditional thought.

Compare with conservative conceptions of the role of education:
"Knowledge-Based Education—We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority."
-Texas GOP
s3.amazonaws.com/texasgop_pre/assets/original/2012Platform_Final.pdf

All the criticisms of common core seem to come form a perspective that refuses to see any nuance in the world; that children might learn differently because they haven't yet developed requisite skills to understand the world as we do. Viewing all in black and white is what I expect from conservatives.

The point of
is less to teach someone how to subtract two numbers and more an exercise in building abstract thinking skill. It helps children to have a conceptual understanding of what it means to subtract one base 10 number from another.

What if she folded it up and turned it on its side? It would only be one cut then, so it'd take 10 minutes.

estimation...when you have the answer in front of you, that's when you don't use estimation.

kekerino

Common Core:
trying to teach introductory students some useful mental shortcuts for doing math faster...in a really unintuitive way that doesn't teach them WHY those shortcuts work.

If you ask me to add 78 and 44, my thought process actually IS:
>78 is 22 less than 100, so pull 22 out of 44 to get to 100
>how much is left? 44-22=22
>plus the hundred makes 122
and it is a lot faster than adding and carrying the old-fashioned way.

but it only works for me because I taught myself to do that, based on already knowing how simple arithmetic works, rather than having it drummed into me. these kinds of methods are better applied to tutoring sessions where they can be better explained, or to supplemental fast-math sessions in middle school that are intended to build on previous skills. trying to teach it to elementary schoolers who don't already know how to add is a very bad idea.

disgraceful

making fun of common core is really just another reason we need common core

>what did he mean by this

And that's the point of common core. To stop teaching "methods" that'll give you the right answer but no understanding, but instead teach, or at least try and teach, how to think about problems.

Of course that will initially lead to worse results than if you just give people a cut-and-dry process, but in the long term it will give better results.

Of course parents in the US sperged out over it, not being able to see long term.

Basically, yea. We tout our democracy, but it's approaching aristocratic conditions, and the country is basically run by corporations.

I got a good one for you guys. Just goes to show how stupid teachers are in north america
>Be in grade 1
>Teacher tells us to draw an apple
>I draw a green apple, I had one for breakfast that morning
>Teacher tells me I'm wrong, "apples are only red user"
>I color red over my green apple, it becomes black
>I become angry because I know apples are green
>Decide to just make the apple look like a bomb, draw sparks coming off the stem
>Teacher sees, says I'm in huge trouble and shes gonna call my parents
>Mom comes in to see teacher, gets lectured on how bad of a parent she is letting her son draw bombs at age 5
>Teacher tells mom I'm going to grow up to be a psychopath
>Entire thing happened the day after 9/11
>My teacher thought I was glorifying the 9/11 attacks at age 5
>I was just a kid who drew a green fucking apple and now I'm considered a psychopathic terrorist by my teacher for the rest of the year

this gave me fucking Klinefelter Syndrome. I want to die

all of this thoughtfulness and logic is giving me a headache.
if it's not immediately apparent to me it's probably some NWO bullshit.

This definitely happened

At good uni's faculty usually give students that deserve F's, C's (in the US)

t. Grad student who grades at a top uni.

sometimes you gotta think inside the box or thinking outside the box wouldn't be special

not at ALL good American unis
t. graduate of UChicago

>people should be punished for being better than what was required
literally communism

>be engineer
>can't recognize simple patterns
Jack subtracted 3 100's, and 6 1's but forget to subtract the ten. Even if it's a stupid way to do math, I would think a engineer of all people should be able to figure it out how they want you to do it

Solve this without Common Core plebs

This was a legit exercise in critical thinking. Not everything you read from your teacher is true.

Is that possible to solve without calculus?

>belittle the engineer for not recognizing what Jack did wrong
>incorrectly describe what Jack did wrong
kek

103 ~ 105
28 ~ 25
105 - 25 = 80

if you are one of the three people who have memorized the formula for the area of a lune, then it's just algebra

mathworld.wolfram.com/Lune.html