Transferring to computer science

after 5 years of doing geophysics, I'm coming to the conclusion that there might not be a future in this field. I want to switch to computer science since it should complement my major nicely because we do a lot of coding in geophysics already (mostly matlab/R).

is comp science hard? I've done an intro comp science course already and know extremely basic programming creating Matlab scripts.

would I get a job easy? is it worth to do another 3 years? should I just graduate with my geophysics degree and hope I get a job? my gpa currently is kinda shit (3.1) but I have 2 minors under my belt along with some extra curricular bull from doing some stuff with my academic centre thing. I also got on academic probation that I think is on my record cause I got caught sharing Matlab scripts.

You're already 5 years into this. Don't be a retard. Get your degree, a job, then do programming on the side.

I don't think ill get a job though. its all dependant on oil and I think oil will be phased out in the next 15-20 years. I don't wanna be jobless at 40 years old.

I mean I've heard of applications outside of oil but its primarily based on oil. and currently its really rough out there, my friends who graduated in 4 years have told me so.

What about seismology, mining or geodetics?

Finish your degree then apply for masters programs in CS

>Pic
Why is aerospace unbelievable tier? The industry has projected shrinkage in the next 10 years and other majors have higher starting and mid-career salaries.

t. Aero undergrad

I don't know shit for coding though, would they even take me as a grad student in CS? don't they need a higher GPA?

I dunno man, maybe do grad school in your field with a fellowship that funds you. If you do DOD SMART program you can get funding for years, then guaranteed job in DOD

>Civils on the same level as Mechanicals
AHAHAHAHA
AHAHA
HA

Wew
Nice try

>Philosophy
>shit-tier
m8, Philosophy is, like, meta-science

Same reason people won't stop jerking off to electrical engineering, it's current high employment rate and starting salaries lead people to believe its superior intellectually yet the field has no expected growth and shitty long term prospects for self employment.

Civil/structural happens to be one of the better choices for a career in the long term. High rates of movement up the corporate ladder, plenty of opportunity to become self employed due to the current state of the housing market, infrastructure development becoming more challenging leading to larger projects to work on, etc. Mechanical has a future when it comes to automation but the number of available higher tier jobs is lower relative to the number of mech engineers there are.

They put communications and art above philosophy (and also above history). This doesn't measure happiness, or how worthwhile the subject is. It doesn't even rank how many intellectual long-dick points the subject earns you. It's just about cash

Not even about overall cash, it's just starting salary

there are multiple issues with this ranking.

You can easily get a job with biochem, CS, or stats.

Good luck getting a job with physics or chem.

In what fucking scenario is medicine not unbelievable tier, being a doctor means you literally never stop having to learn about the field, new treatments, etc. It's both the best paid degree and contender for most intellectual as all the other shit is a one-stop learning experience then you never learn anything truly new

you're a delusional people mechanic

because the quality of what you learn is not that interesting and can be learned through memorization by the average brainlet

CS is about understanding architecture, language development, data structures, mathematics, algorithms, etc.
Being able to write a program to return formulated answers is not enough unless your uni has a shit-tier CS programme where all they do is programming.
Funny enough as it is, in applications most of what you learn (the maths, details of data structures, etc) are completely useless (because modular programming and libraries) depending on the job you get and what platforms/etc you work with.
For a job, you'd probably do fine.
For a degree I would seriously question it, unless you do a lot of programming and already have a decent set of knowledge on OS internals, language dynamics, algorithm creation, a bit about complexity notation, etc.

wtf OP, what about natural gas related jobs? I thought natural gas was very in atm?

They've been predicting the end of oil for one reason or another for the last fifty years. Your job will last longer than that of a CS major. By the time you are 40, you'll just tell AI what you want to write.

Why do you take those charts seriously?

Why wouldn't EE and Computer Engineering have good future prospects for employment?

My lecturer got sacked (told to leave not fired) from a big 5 Oil and Gas company. He wasn't a geophysicists but he worked in drilling for like a crazy long amount of time (decades).

Just putting this anecdote out there. Seems like they are already downsizing.

EE not good for potential self employment or future employment???

Depends where you are.

India: good prospects.
US and Europe: uh oh.

Being an MD is impressive in that it's hard to get into med school in the first place.

The actual material is not that hard and the job isn't that hard either. At least compared to hard STEM.

This is what actual MDs told me so don't take it from me. It's not comparable to being a professor or anything like that.

Why is nuclear engineering so low.

People probably take that approach. And they will see their patients die young.

A professional should take a different approach. What you learn forms the basis of an understanding you use in analysis and deduction. Sherlock Holmes was based on a real person: a professor in medicine who dazzled his students by his analytical skills.

The first variant will send you home with some pain killers for your stomach ache, the second will send you to hospital realizing you have cancer.

>Good luck getting a job with physics or chem.
Oh?

We are recruiting and have difficulties getting physicists. We even contacted the local university to get them to update their pages on job prospects and mention our profession but apparently it is way below their dignity to grace us with their efforts.

t.Physicist (employed)

What about security and penetration testing?