How the fuck am I suppose to pull 3.6+ GPA (90%+) for engineering grad school admissions? Can someone fucking tell me?

How the fuck am I suppose to pull 3.6+ GPA (90%+) for engineering grad school admissions? Can someone fucking tell me?

Right now I'm at a top 10 school in 3rd year mechanical engineering. Class averages are 60-70% and I consider myself pretty smart getting 10-15% above that (80% cumulative atm). Right now, that puts me at a 2.7 GPA which automatically disqualifies me from every god damn school that's worth its shit.

What the fuck am I suppose to do? I am trying so god damn hard I cant pull fucking 100s in every god damn course when some of the most talented people who got filtered into the god damn program are barely pulling 70s

2.7 after scoring consistently above average? No curve for final grades? Either you're leaving something out or your program has a vested interest in screwing over its students.

80% average overall, GPAs change university to university (we don't have GPA here, only %), so just using the percentage with other universities common conversions, 80% is 2.7 GPA.

have you tried not being retarded?

I'm not retarded. I spoke to the professors in each of my courses and the highest grades were low 90s and even some high 80s, final overall in the course. I am trying to figure out how the fuck am I suppose to pull a 3.6+ to get into Princeton/Caltech/Stanford MS program if I need a fucking 90% average!

That's a shitty conversion. All top schools that I know of curve the final grades to a B, so the above average students will be guaranteed a 3.3 at the very least. Sounds like you're getting hosed.

What is 85% then in terms of GPA? I'd be lucky if I can graduate with an 85%. an 85% for us is the equivalent of an A (85%-90%), and we have averages of about 70%.

Is 85% decent enough to get into t1 schools?

If you're aiming to get into those places, it's supposed to be extremely difficult. Unless you're near-perfect, you don't belong there. It's that simple.

But who the fuck can even go there? Grades should be a fucking competency check, I have internships at NASA and SpaceX and it's not going to matter a fucking bit

Judging by this conversion chart, the program must not be very good. Anyone who consistently gets 90% on his tests in a top US undergrad program will have a 4.0 or close to it. An 80-85% will be in the 3.3-3.8 if the averages in the 70s

Yeah but wheres the standard? Letter grades? Percentages? They don't standardize anything so class average and how much better than class average you did doesn't matter.

The people who I knew that got into those places all had 3.8-3.9 at an elite school on top of all the internship and lab experience bullshit. It was doable if you consistently put in the work.

>doable if you consistently put in the work

During school time, I put in literally the entire day, every day, to school work man. I consider myself pretty intelligent but splitting between student team stuff + 6 courses of shit like complex analysis and fluid dynamics its hard, theres literally nobody who does better than me that isn't an autist

The grades in separate classes are determined entirely by how well you do relative to the class. Tests are ideally difficult enough to produce a normal distribution of scores. The letter grades are then averaged to give a gpa.

Do you go to Purdue or Cornell?

yes

That explains it, there's no gpa inflation at those schools.

Is it purdue? I'm going there next year...

Internships might not even be looked at desu. They mainly look at research and so unless you were a part of research during the internships, they will probably just be a slight slight bonus if anything

>theres literally nobody who does better than me that isn't an autist
and those autists are the ones going to stanford and MIT

>mfw C student and got into grad school

feels good not being STEM

>there's no gpa inflation at those schools.
That hasn't been true for awhile.
Literally every school has grade inflation these days.

Don't wait until the finals to start studying. Review the stuff every day.

Dude, I don't wanna sound like a prick but you gotta man the fuck up.

Study efficiently, participate in research and get an internship or two. Bottom line is, just try your best and if you still can't make it, then you're just not cut out for it. But at least you put in the effort.

Why are you on student teams then? It's already too late for you to pull up your gpa enough to get into any of the programs you listed, but you could probably go to grad school at your current institution if you have as good of a relationship with your professors as you lead on.

If you're at Purdue you probs never had a chance at a school like cal tech, mit, Stanford, etc., anyway. These programs only care about academic success, not the "whole person." It's not the end of the world. You can still be a wildly successful engineer without having the biggest dick out there.

Agree with this, you definitely don't need them. Just go to a more humble place and focus on learning something that truly interests you. The only thing that matters at the end is what's in your head.

Different user. I graduated with a low GPA like a 2.9 low. I have a math publication (not tier 1 type). I worked several years, enrolled as a part-time non-degree student at a top public university and am pulling off 4.0 GPA two semesters in a row. Think I have a shot at getting into a top school for graduate studies? I'm consistently the top student in all of my classes. Currently have a 100 in a 400-level class. I impressed one professor so much he said he'd get me into graduate school

Meant to say I'm probably going to continue to take courses another year or two. This is at a top public school. One much better than the one I initially graduated from. I always knew I was smart but never truly applied myself until now.