Maths

Hey, first time posting on this board. I'm a 19 year old in a German high school and I really want to study maths. Do any of you have tips what I should practice before I go to university? I want to be ahead when I get there and if possible could you tell me where I can get a super detailed explanation of the maths I will need? Are there useful tricks to get into the right mindset of looking at problems etc? Thank you in advance

Other urls found in this thread:

maths.usyd.edu.au/u/UG/
mccme.ru/free-books/
cwur.org/2017/subjects.php#Logic
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

with "maths I will need" I mean stuff I will need to use at university

do the advanced courses or its not worth your time

Yeah, I'm trying to get into all of them except the "math revision" for the people who just need a passing grade in maths

this is the sydney uni course schedule. im sure you can find one relating to your uni.

maths.usyd.edu.au/u/UG/

Thank you!

>maths
It's "math" not "maths" you subhuman mudslime

If you know russian, they have free textoobks on most universities. Be aware that our schools are tough and the student going to university is required to know lot of subjects that western europeans are being taught during their first and second year. The assumed familiarity with the subject is reflected in the textbooks so it might be a little bit too "dense" for you. Don't get discouraged though, it gets better witheach textbook and soon enough, the language of mathematics will be natural to you

i don't speak any Russian but thank you for the advice. I can Probably get it translated by a friend of mine.

In that case mccme.ru/free-books/ is a gentle introduction. To get a picture of what you can expect. ITMO has free textbooks available, of particular interest would be their graph theory and temporal logic textbooks. MSU has great linear algebra, calculus and topology textbooks.

Curious what math subjects you already know after German high school?

Not trying to hijack OP's thread, but would this thread be an acceptable place to ask for book recommendations baby's first intro to proofs, and abstract algebra that are easy and gentle enough for a someone who barely knows high school algebra?

If you barely know high school algebra, you're better off thoroughly learning and only then going for more advanced topics. You can start by proving quadratic formula and other formulae that are presented in high school. Most of these are simple enough. I'll look through my library for some introduction to graph theory as these are generally the most gentle and tractable proofs, requiring only set theory.

German math student here. The professors would be happy if the students at least knew what is tought in highs school. Maybe look into what is usually taught and what you might have missed. Otherwise you could have a look into "Tutorium Analysis 1 und Lineare Algebra 1" which is what you will start with, to get a little headstart. Otherwise I wouldn't waste my time.

Thanks.

I would recommend 2000 Solved Problems in Discrete Mathematics by Lipschutz as an exercise book, along with Johnsonbaugh's Discrete mathematics as textbook. These two seem to be a rather gentle and go very well together, giving you a solid base for freshman-level mathematics. From what i remember, they can be digested even by an average 16-years old high-school student (might differ if you're not from russia or don't go to a good school)

Now these books are oriented towards computer scientists, which might not quite be what you want.

If that;s the case, i'd advise you to transfer halfway-through the textboox into textbooks meant for pure math students.

J.R.Shoenfield: Mathematical logic
Derek J.S. Robinson: A Course in the Theory of Groups
F.W.Anderson, K.R.Fuller: Rings and Categories of Modules.
M. F. Atiah, I.G. Macdonald, Introduction to Commutative Algebra
G. M. Bergman, An Invitation to General Algebra and Universal Constructions

These books provide you with sound knowledge of the field. There are more thorough texts than these, but they seem to be rather unsuitable for someone wanting just an introduction.

in thew first half semester you will repeat the entire school curriculum so its fine.
But if you took time off for army or social services then you better repeat the basics or you will be overwhelmed
no tthat you wouldnt be overwhelmed anyway, its just to lessen the impact and not having regrets about wasting time

more important than learning math stuff (thats what you will be doing later all the time anyway) is getting a headstart on the tools you will use (while your friends struggle writing their reports in Excel, notepad and Paint)

LaTeX, for excercises with long step-by-step proofs where you can copypaste 90% of previous line it is actually faster than writing by hand, is faste to correct mistakes and looks nicer. If you can touchtype and spend some time setting up shortcuts or AutoHotkey macros you can even type lectures.

pure math will probably not get you anywhere, so learn some programing languages - Python, R, Matlab, Mathematica are commonly used (you probably get free licenses from the uni)

if you are still not using Latex, make a rubberstamp with [math]\forall \epsilon > 0 : \exists \delta > 0[/math]

The Greens function is basically multiplication with a continuous matrix

All your school achievements dont matter because most people will be smarter than you

The tiny bit of latex you need, you can learn in few hours. It's much better to get headstart on the subjects which will take an average student much more time to grasp. Same goes for programming. Learning the tools is the easy part, the hard part is the math, aquiring intuition- the aha moments, if you will. As for achievements in high school, they only matter if they are significant (international level), in which case your professor might invite you to research group.

Freundliche Erinnerung das Österreich im Bereich Logik auf Platz 2. im internationalen Ranking aller Universitäten ist und ihr nur Platz 9. :^)

cwur.org/2017/subjects.php#Logic

Viel Spaß beim Neunter sein Hirnlet