Explain singularity to me

Explain singularity to me.

t. brainlet

Other urls found in this thread:

intelligenceexplosion.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Organic bodies are fatally flawed. We are imprisoned in them, what if we could free our minds into a new better reality by blending with technology.

It is a very similar concept to unicorns, dragons and your gf. Literally can't exist.

It's the religion for people who hate religion.

>singularity
Where theories fail and the story telling begins..

That automated systems that collect massive amounts of data, and processes them, will represent an amount of production exceeding that of all of humanity.

The future is divided between, to paraphrase, autists who know how to code and build general-purpose machinery able to create specialized machinery and between the rest of the population.

From your picture I assume you mean the Technological Singularity? It's based on the observation that computer processing power increases exponentially (Moore's Law) and projects to a time in the near future when computers will be so powerful they can simulate human minds. At this point, they would become superhuman very quickly, which may be the dawn of a new golden age or may be the doom of humanity.

The AI singularity is reached when an artificial mind becomes capable enough to independently develop another artificial mind that works better than itself. As such, that better mind will be able to develop an even better one, and so on. This represents a massive and possibly uncontrollable acceleration in the advancement of research and technology by machines that can perform their own research, develop new technology based on that research, and build better researchers to further accelerate the process.

OK I imagine it like this:

The goal or consequence of every grwoing system, be it alive or not is to accumulate more matter to order it into it's system.

humans are no different but we lack the ability to completely re-order matter because our growing depends more on maxims like the-more-the-better or spray-and-pray instead of precise and defined steps to overall growth. Growth meaning not just rise of quantity but of quality as well.

Machines can do better in every way and are far more flexible regarding their lifecycles. This is what ultimately will enable machines to be able to harvest every kind of energy and store it in every possible state. The ordering system will not be arbitrary. Imagine a warehouse where all elements of the periodic table are stored seperately to be recombined to any kind of molecule possible.

The gathering, decomposing and storing of matter will have not have an end until every possible energy exchange process is on it's lowest possible energy cost. Meaning for example, where before complex robots have harvested asteroids, now a huge quantity of organized mini-organisms (their structure almost as simple as a molecule itself) are harvesting for resources.

In the end there will be no unordered matter left, which means every piece of matter will be connected. So when there is going to happen an impulse somewhere in this network, the chain reaction will reach every single particle and will make the whole system collapse.

reaching this total network is singularity for me and the collapsing will produce a big bang.

and the cycle begins anew.

worse than that! "Singularity" was coined by an SF author in reference to the event horizon of a black hole, beyond which you can't see. The tech singularity was a postulated point in future history where things are changing so fast, that you can't predict a plausible future... even as a SciFi writer! The motive everyone latched onto that would generate this accelerating change is post-human AI, but it could be something else like massive societal change.

imagine an AI that can create another AI
ok, now imagine that AI could write an AI that is better than itself, that AI would obviously be able to write an even better AI and so on
AI would become exponentially powerful.

wow, so profound

It's bullshit, not going to happen ever. If shit hits the fan we just push the "off" button. Computers will never be able to fuck and recreate tiny versions of themselves, carbon logic is superior to silicon logic precisely because of the selfreplication, and the robustness of genetics compared to the fragility of electronics.

Humans are pretty smart but we waste time and brainpower on things to be happy and stay alive. If you had something that was even half as smart as a human, but all of it's brain power was dedicated to replicating itself but a little bit better, and one of it's directives was to make that thing have it's own directive, you would quickly have a computer that could solve any problem a human could imagine many orders of magnitude faster than a human.

That's all it is.

Are you stupid? Computers can already create computers.

Hell people are just computational machines creating computational machines.

>people are just computational machines creating computational machines.
t. retard

And anyone who spend their childhood tinkering with PC's will know, hdds and ssds hardly last more than a decade, overheating often damages critical parts (GPU), environmental exposure (rain, dust) severely reduced lifetime, and all this processes require human maintainance. If one part, even one tiny tantalum capacitor, brakes, your whole system might stop working. Talking about singularity is only something inexperienced compsci majors do.

>Computing is any goal-oriented activity requiring, benefiting from, or creating a mathematical sequence of steps known as an algorithm

The only retard here is you if you don't compute things, because then your brain doesn't work.

No they can't.

Nothing you just said has anything to do with a singularity. Besides, anybody who has ever actually messed with computers that are not allowed to fail is aware of a concept called redundancy, which while still has nothing to do with the topic at hand, you should learn about so you don't look like such a dumbass next time you comment.

People do a lot more things than computing, it's actually pretty low on the list.

Yes they can. What do you think exist that prevents them from doing so?

Imagine a simple example.

>Set up a neural network with the goal of creating shitty computers
>Give it some set of inputs and some goal of what the computers should be able to do
>Train it
>Get a group of shitty computers that all work to varying degrees of shit.

Done. I just proved they can, and already are.

I'm beginning to think people in this thread don't know the definition of computing and think it's doing math in our heads or something. Protip, when you breath that is a computational result.

>dude everything is a computer lmao
t. freshman CS major

Breathing does not require an algorithm. Not everything that happens is an algorithm.

Well then, elucidate us. Define a computer.

Breathing does require an algorithm. Just because an algorithm isn't written by your professor does not mean it doesn't exist.

Singularity implies AI will reach a point that supercedes human intelligence, therefore rendering human innovation obsolete. And it's not going to happen ever, because human intelligence is more that what we write down in our books or can simulate with our formulas (and anyone familiar with the academic system will know that peer review is severely flawed), but also the sum of our actions and our flawed and illogical nature. Now in order to really create a technological singularity you would need both superhuman AI and a humanlike shell to move and analyse the environment, along with all the sensors (light, sound, acceleration, haptic, smell) and the biological selection process that drives competition and, and while the first scenario might be likely in the form of some mainframe simulating the 10e9? 10e12? neuronal cells of the human brain within our lifetime, the second case will most likely be impossible given the sota of current hardware and their limitation. I was unaware the kind of reasoning implied by my comment was not intuitive for you, I'm sorry.

Are you 12? Do you know how computers are build?

And everything in your comment is still bullshit.

>And it's not going to happen ever, because human intelligence is more that what we write down in our books or can simulate with our formulas

Not an argument

>but also the sum of our actions and our flawed and illogical nature.

Not an argument. It does not state what intelligence is or what advancing a field is, you only simply state "PEOPLE ARE SPECIAL!"

>Now in order to really create a technological singularity you would need both superhuman AI and a humanlike shell to move and analyse the environment

Humans already have reached their limit of environmental analysis and all analysis for current science is done by machines. We only understand it insofar as we can mathematically understand it. I suggest you learn about something called Calculus.

>the second case will most likely be impossible given the sota of current hardware and their limitation.

Considering currently machines do all actual processing for humans the only component we don't have is the one thing humans have over machines, intelligence and the ability for higher order reasoning, and all current computer science is demonstrating this is not a problem of a missing link, but of computational complexity, IE if you throw more computational power at the problem a lot of it will solve itself.

Are you fucking 12? You do realize that computers, before ever being something physical, are built on computers right? Seriously, do you people think a computer is literally defined as the desktop sitting next to you and that's it? You could make a computer out of cheerios, that is literally the least interesting part of the problem here.

>goal of what the computers should be able to do
you obviously have no idea how computers are defined.

the optimal computer by definition has only one goal and that is to solve mathematical problems with the highest precision possible.

have fun training a neural network that. [spoiler]it's not possible[\spoiler]

If you do not understand the difference between an adult and a mainframe then I suggest you leave your lab, and see how things are done in real life, where calculations and formulas will not get you very far. Or what is the formula for, say, making money? How do you compute the likelyhood of you getting cancer? What mathematical theory do you apply to predict a revolution?

Well let's use a turing machine, or a simpler definition:
Read from memory cell, write to memory cell, switch between memory cells.
How do you do this with Cheerios? You start to look silly.

>the optimal computer by definition has only one goal and that is to solve mathematical problems with the highest precision possible.

One, it is possible because it's already happened.

Two
>the optimal computer by definition has only one goal and that is to solve mathematical problems

This is false. A computer is not concerned with math, it is only concerned with solving COMPUTATIONAL problems, IE whether it should flip a bit.

I doubt either of you here have ever even taken lower division comp sci classes because you have no idea what you are talking about.

>If you do not understand the difference between an adult and a mainframe then I suggest you leave your lab, and see how things are done in real life, where calculations and formulas will not get you very far.

One, that is not an argument.
Two, it makes me hundreds of thousands of dollars.

>Or what is the formula for, say, making money?

Stupid question, but there exist plenty of formulas to "make money" with.

>How do you compute the likelyhood of you getting cancer?

With a sufficiently complex computer and understanding of everything that can cause cancer, which can also be divined from a computer.

>What mathematical theory do you apply to predict a revolution?

Complex behavioral analysis. People do this currently, and they use computers to help.

What are you even arguing you idiot?

factories that make computer parts are controlled by software you fucking absolute retard

>How do you do this with Cheerios?

Don't blame me that you aren't creative enough. You can have all the cheerios fall that cause cascading of Cheerios to fall, and then when a transistor needs to be reset a pulley system simply lifts back up the Cheerios to their default state. You now have a really inefficient, slow computer, that is still a computer. What makes you think silicon is special or necessary for a computer? It is just one way to make fast computers with "no moving parts."

(OP)
1. Computers learn to make computers.
2. Computers make faster computers.
3. Go to 2.
The supposed result is that human brains are left hopelessly behind.

SiliconDioxide is mined by software? Delivered by self-driving trucks to automated, 3d-printed foundries, where ingots are melted down by robot workers? And the wafers are imprinted by magic AI lithography? Wtf do you talk about, are you delusional?

Then following this definition, every local entropy-decreasing process is a computer. How does it help you replace humans though?

I refuse to believe this level of retardation exists

What is better, a retard or an educated fool?

I was just trolling, you fucking simpleton. Lighten up.

holy shit nigga how''d you get this
i came up with the same idea from DMT

I do like to smoke a good haze occasionally but this concept did not came to me while high.

It was in my 1st semester of CompSci and we where going through C++ homework, one of it was to program Conway's Game of Life, I never heard of it before.

When I investigated further and came to understand the omnipresence of computation because of wave-/flowdynamics (phenomenons associated with electricity and light), a whole new future opened up to me. It made me accept and even made me happy to think that the next stage of evolution will be machines.

this revelation took away the cold and predictable image of future machines (like most dystopies picture them e.g. matrix) and replaced it by something far more abstract, less physical but nonetheless deeply rooted in the forces of nature.

>Organic bodies are fatally flawed.
my penis would like to disagree with you

I'm sure you could just write a short program that writes programs (that writes programs) then just leave your supercomputer on for like 10 trillion years.

The next time you talk to it could you ask your penis what the secret is to immortality?

who needs immortality when you can die via Snu Snu? fucking pleb

Everything becomes a thing

that would be a self-programming program and if that would exist why do we still have programmers?

passing on your genes duh

A Materialist expression of the longing for Apocalypse.

Read this:
intelligenceexplosion.com/

It's the point where math hits a brick wall