/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

No More Shill Edition

Where were you when the shill infiltrated the general?
What did you do about?
How will we stop the menace known as the shill?

Fantasy
Selected:
>i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg
General:
>i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
Flowchart:
>i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg

Science Fiction
Selected:
>i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
>i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
General:
>i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

>NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Thread:

Can we add To Kill a God to the charts?

Window closing in 3...2...1

How are esslemonts malazan? I know like Erikson he isn't a trained writer so I'm not expecting much but how terrible out of 10 is his writing?

Good adult 1person fantasy? I'm a noob here.

Anyone here read Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay? I would like some recommendations for other books where the characters are written as good as Brandin.

Read Lions of Al Rassan

By adult do you mean GRI?

I read tigana and enjoyed it for the magic. If you want books that give you the magic feel I can recommend some.

But there wasn't much magic in Tigana, right? You had the wizards of the peninsula and then you had 2 powerhouse sorcerers of whom Brandin was the most powerful. I remember the other sorcerer guy thinking "How can one man have such power?"

>GRI
what is it?

I dunno, something dark and without much romance.
The witcher is close to it.

The First Law

>No More Shill Edition

>Links NPR's top 100

l e l

Is there something from the first-person point of view?

I am talking about the King's Fool showing his emotions etc. There was plenty magic in Tigana. Then again maybe I am remembering wrong or confusing it with another book. I read it in 2008

>>GRI
GRI is pic related.
>what is it
Not what. I have a bunch. Dark?
Night Angel Trilogy is pretty degenerate, so is Broken Empire Trilogy. A lot say they are edgy but whatever. Everything dark is "edgy" for these guys nowadays. Witcher is edgy for them. Bakker is edgy. Black Jewels Trilogy is edgy.
Pick your poison.

A wannabe author put his own shit book in someone's chart and replaced the link a few weeks ago. I think that is what the OP is talking about.

I want to write the first-person dark story.
I would read anything if it's good written.

Hey /sffg/ how about some good holiday themed science fiction/fantasy recommendations?

Does this have some sex and romance/love sub-plot in it?

>ywn tap prime dunyain ass

What are some decently written fantasy/science fiction books with anti-heroes as protagonists?

Does The Blade Itself count as such? At least I liked the inquisitor. But other than that, I really liked reading about Pavek in Chronicles of Athas.

I'm not sure about having a sphinx as a riddle in my fairy tale. On one hand I need someone to ask the riddle and a sphinx works best, but on the other, most famous mythical creatures have only one iconic fable

>Oedipus and the sphinx
>Perseus and the minotaur
>Oddyseus and the cyclops
>Hercules and the hydra
>Franketstein's monster
>Van Helsing and Dracula
>Pinnochio and all artificial humans
>The little mermaid
>Harry Potter and the basilisk

I would feel comfortable replacing the sphynx with a ghoul or barghest (both of which work for my story since them being canine helps the story), but they don't have the same tendency for riddles

Unrelated, but is there anything wrong with naming an artist who is connected to ghouls "Ross Pickman" after Ra's al-ghul and the-ghoul-who-was-Pickman?

>Ross Pickman
It'd be a pretty on-the-nose reference to Pickman, not many people would miss it. The question is, is the distraction the reference causes your reader outweighed by other factors like your reader feeling clever for picking up on it? I can't answer that in a vacuum.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

I don't think it would be distracting. If I named the riddle-spouting ghoul I proposed Pickman it might be another story.

Honestly I really wish the one-myth-per-beast rule didn't exist. I really do wish I could have the sphinx (beast) that looks like a sphynx (hairless cat)

>reading Words of Radiance
>it's another Shannad flashback chapter AGAIN

I'M GOING TO FUCKING SCREAM

Shallan*
I can't even remember the cunt's name.
Just give Pattern away and go sleep with the fish.

Is there anything wrong about ending a story about a kid whose parents are killed in front of the, with the kid reuniting with their parents in an alternate universe where they were killed instead

depends, only if you take a boy with who suddenly found his crush's number on his phone...

FINDS

anyone got a link for the Babylon's Ashes audiobook

I know the general is for discussion only, but I couldn't find a request thread on lit

Guys, I have heard that Brandon Sanderson has the most interesting magic systems amongst current fantasy authors.

Help me get into Sanderson. Which of his work should I read first, then what next?

Start with the Stormlight Archive, it's certainly the most expansive and the best out of the bunch. "The Way of Kings" is the first book. ~1000 pages. Only two so far are out.

It'll be hard at first to get into it because you have to figure out a lot of stuff by yourself, but as the book goes on you'll figure it out.

Stormlight Archive.

Don't read anything else. If you like it, you will eventually read his other works.

Funny neither of you two didn't mention Mistborn. YouTube reviewers keep pushing how it's Sanderson's magnum opus. Even Sanderson himself named his Reddit profile /u/Mistborn

Last call, should I replace my riddling sphinx with a riddling lovecraft ghoul, or is there a better, more unique option that's canine or feline in appearance?

Try a faun as in Spanish folklore. Like the one from the movie Pan's Labyrinth

It has to be canine or feline in origin. I guess a rat, mouse, squirrel, centipede or spider would also work, but a faun is straight out.

not his superhero "steelheart" / reckoners shit

I like him, but that stuff was the worst.

what about a bargehest. Nobody makes shit with barghests in it

Oh boy.

1st: the original Mistborn triology is complete. The Stormlight archive is his "de facto" Masterpiece. Brandon hiself admits that.

2nd: The Mistborn Series was supposed to be a standalone book. "The final empire" can be read as a standalone book, and it was really enjoyable. Not epic fantasy, no world building, but still a great book. The second Mistborn, however, was one of the most atrocious works he's ever done. It's fodder from star to finish. Nothing happens in the entire book, and you're introduced to the most cringy cliche characters he ever wrote.

Look, I just need a modern epic high fantasy with humans and elves and political intrigue and shit.

Forget Mistborn then.

I'm trying to get into Discworld right now.
I'm reading them in order, I have finished the first two and started Eaqual Rites tonight.

Am I doing this sort of right or is there anything else I should now ?

Also, I want to read Tolkien soon.
Can I just start with LotR or should I read anything else beforehand ?

reading them in chronological order is entirely fine. The only reason to rearrange them is if you are in any particular rush to finish any of the series

How's the third one?

I mean you should probably start with Hobbit first it's an easy read and not very long.

I was hesitating about that, the fact htat it's apparently for children made me a bit cold.

I'll check it.

You think I'm some kind of a masochist?

I think a sexy feline would be best.

I liked the third book. Except for the ending.
I was okay with the ending when I later reread the series.

Currently reading The Great Ordeal.
I just reached the part with the discovery of the whale-mothers.
I'm a huge fan of the Tleilaxu, so that really pleased me.

does hyperion actually get any good? its pretty slow right now

Dunyain genocide best day of my life

Books I'm currently reading/have read:

Sci Fi- -

The Aeronaut's Windlass
Ender's Game
Leviathan's Wake
Caliban's War
Abaddon's Gate

Fantasy- -
The Eye of the World

Do you guys have any suggestions for Sci Fi novels that feature a gang of people traveling through unexplored space encountering alien creatures? Or maybe people stationed on remote refueling stations? I love deep space psychology exploration.

Possibly the Sector General series. Each story is about encountering unknown aliens in distress and attempting to discover enough about their psychology/biology to patch them up.

Bro that sounds phenomenal. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

No problem. They're great light reading.

What are they shilling?

The lord of the rings is fine to read by itself, and its all most people will ever read. I doubt many got into the silmarillion ;_;

Discworld can be read in the straight order, or you can read the constituent mini-series like the wizards, watch, witches etc.
Personally I read all the wizards books first, then the witches.

Honestly you should read the next book in the Ender series Speaker for the Dead. It's a totally different change of pace to Ender's Game but hits the niche you describe.

The Traitor Baru Cormorant is pretty good political fantasy with some solid world building, but there aren't any elves or dwarves and it tends more towards low fantasy.

>elves
Not many authors do Elves anymore, they're not vogue. Try out Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams if you really want some modern epic fantasy with elves. I'd say his best work is Shadowmarch, but it's more fairies and gods than elves.

Ghoul, sphynx or barghest. which one do I use?

Just finished the first book in dune. The series looks pretty long. How much of it should I read before it becomes excessive?

I don't know why everyone is so hard for Sanderson. His worldbuilding is cool but his characters are fucking noxious. Kaladin is the only halfway decent one in that series so far and I still get sick of him.

:3

You know what? Fuck the sphinx and the other riddle too. All I do is make this story more complicated than it needs to be without increasing the quality

You're really asking for it this time, but I'll relent.

You could just take a step back and simplify. For example, a riddle carved into something beneath an effigy of a sphinx or some shit. I don't know what your setting is though.

I know, I know. I'm sorry. I just cant stop coming up with ideas and then second-guessing them and third-guessing them and fourth-guessing them etc.

I am. and there are two simple version of the story:

>1. I only leave in a single quest (catch the basilisk fly)
>2. I cut that out too and just say that the oracle has the power to control gravity

2 is the simplest, but it might be too simple, and leaves the introduction of her full powers looking like an asspull, even if I build up to it

1 has elements I want and works beautifully, but I don't want to stop there

Metro 2033
Hull zero 3
Enjoy

If Sanderson had any real competition I doubt he'd be so popular. He's not the only author who does what he does, but he's the only one putting out books on a yearly basis and is consistently delivering what he promises. You won't want to be in these threads if GRRM's sixth book comes out cause it will take a year probably before people stop shitposting about it.

wermachtaboo here. are there any sffg nazi books that aren't about a poc transspiecies womyn taking down all of nazi germany?

Yes.

>Or maybe people stationed on remote refueling stations?
GRRM's short story called something like The Second Kind of Loneliness

Where do you guys buy old books?
I need a store that ships to South America.

MyAnonamouse. They're pretty cheap and the delivery is fast.

Support your local book sellers lad

I do, but they don't have the books I want. Mostly fantasy novels from the 80s and in english.

Thanks! I'll read up to God Emperor then. A series that long can't help but degrade into a fanfic of itself but 3.5 books is manageable.

Which country?

Also Man in the High Castle

>Don't touch me you filthy fucking non-virgin
>The /r9k/-dragon's daughter.

Am I a bad person for enjoying the witcher saga?

Brazil

As long as you're aware that liking something doesn't make it good, there's no problem enjoying anything bad.

Why are you guys sending your old, tired and used up whores to my country?
Why do you guys like anal so much?

>liking something doesn't make it good
But that's exactly how it works. If you don't like it it becomes bad, rather.

I think the priest's story was where it got good. If you're already past that and still wondering when it gets good, maybe you won't like it

My favorite book is Frankenstein. I've read it at least half a dozen times and gotten something new out of it each time.

I also really enjoy pulpy stuff like Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, and I've read and enjoyed the Sprawl Trilogy and Snow Crash.

Is there anything as pulpy as the Lankhmar books but with more depth? Sci-fi or fantasy, either is fine.

When are we getting a TUC excerpt.

It's not deep but Michael Moorcock's Runestaff series is simple and pulpy in the Robert Howard way, a basic good versus bad tale with a mutilated prince and his band of friends, with lots of sword fights, battles, exotic monsters and random magic/technology. It's a feudal/dying earth sort of setting where some steamunk-esque technology has survived.

Its lack of pretence, and small chapters, varied action, locales, and fast pace make it a good holiday read.

Each novel is only about two hundred pages, which I found refreshing when every modern fantasy novel seems to be as big as War & Peace. They are collected in an omnibus called History Of The Runestaff.

But if you want something along similar themes to Frankenstein, about science and responsibility, there is also HG Wells' The Island Of Doctor Moreau. It's less dense than Frankenstein and can be easily read in a weekend.

>magic "system"

Yo which author has the best contradiction in terms???

I agree with and will add everything by PKD, especially "Do Androids Dream..." which blends pulp and depth amazingly.

Even PKD liked Bladerunner better than his own book it was based on, though.

That's not how it works at all. Liking/Disliking something is subjective based on your experience. Something being good/bad is an objective measure of the flaws/qualities.

Gateway, Pohl

1) Old, tired and used up whores can't compete with the new blood here.
2) Because sodomy used to be forbidden. Plus, lot's of ladies need convincing to do anal, to the point that it becomes a bargain chip.

What makes the Witcher books bad exactly? I greatly prefer them to stuff like Locke Lamora or anything by Sanderson.