Did you fall for the CS meme Veeky Forums?

Did you fall for the CS meme Veeky Forums?
> pic related is a 60K job

>CS

I'm so sorry.

>want to fall for the cs meme
>don't want to be a manchild
>want to fall for the engineering meme
>don't want to be gay
>want to fall for the physics/math memes
>don't want to be permanently unemployed
JUST

>Don't fall for any of these
>Become code monkey at 45k
Just kill me.

It's a 60k job because it is a code monkey job.

Everything that's about mobile apps and web dev doesn't require CS at all and can be done after high school + summer camp or some github repos to show them that you aren't indian.

The 8+ years are HR bullshit to filter our people too insecure to argue that even without X years experience they are the right for the job.

In my country it's excellent because they people here are really retarded and almost no one does CS but we're rich because of natural resources. They're forced to import Indians but there's restrictions because we're generally pretty racist so demand stays high

Guess the country

>people here are really retarded
>we're rich because of natural resources
>we're generally pretty racist
US or some SE shithole

That's not a CS job posting.

>tfw studying astronomy right now

60k is a lot of money in some parts of the country if you're not some cuck with a family and an expensive wife

anyways I have a CS degree and I get paid more than double that

the "100k starting" cs jobs are all in california where cost of living is ridiculous.

you wind up making about the same as anyone else after taxes, rent, etc

not true, california is only marginally more expensive than any other big city with a lot of tech companies

I have a cousin that works for apple over in California
I dont know how much he makes but he has told me he pays ever 2,000 $ a month for rent.

I don't understand, why is there such a need for the industry to be seemingly the most centralised in all the world? It doesn't make sense to me

2k isn't shit when you're making 15k a month in a job where you'd only make 8k in another part of the country

but it is significantly more expensive than states without a lot of tech companies.

yeah but nobody wants to live in those shitholes anyways

well his apartment isn't exactly large though,
regardless there are other factors at play, just take taxes for instance,
15k a month in california after tax is 8.9k while 8k a month in texas is 5.8k after taxes

Norway

CS became obsolete when the "Programming for Dummies" series came out. The cat was out of the bag.

At least you're 2smart.

What about Cyber Security? Seems like it might be a meme too but it will be a concern in the near future.

>>
Its not 60k because its a codemonkey job.
Its a 60k job so that no American wants the job and the company can use the fact no one who met their standards wanted to work for that price as an excuse to hire a pajeet with an h1b visa.

> cyber security

>fall for math meme
>graduate with degree in pure math
>get job in finance
>clear 90k first year
>feelsgoodman

>It's a 60k job because it is a code monkey job.
it's a 60k job because that is the legal minimum for the company to get an h1b pajeet slaveworker

60k also happens to be the minimum wage an H1B visa employee can be hired for.

>computer science
>code monkeying
welp

What do you do in finance?

pretty standardish for a small mobile shop where you have to fill in for a few positions

except of

>8+ years demonstrated experience

kek, good luck with that

I have 15 years of app development experience

>kicked out of university Biology program
>engineering meme won't accept me
>take calc 1-3 + DE at a community college and get straight A's
>math department accepts me back into university
>tfw this post gives me hope I won't be unemployed

the ability to write passable computer code is something a middle-school student can do if properly trained.

Didn't the Trump administration make some changes to amend the hiring of Pajeets into the US to provide more jobs for their citizens?

I was going to but decided on not taking the easy way out.
Also isn't CS a shit major because it's mostly knowledge and experience you'd earn outside of class? I could be wrong...

Do Materials Engineering
I'm gonna swing into Condensed Matter Physics afterwards since the line between the two is kinda blurry mmmm fuck yeah just popped a boner

There's been talk at the WH and in congress (On both sides of the aisle) about doubling the minimum salary for H1bs but nothing has really happened yet and I'm doubtful if anything will get pushed through.

Let me walk you through this.
>8+ experience blah blah blah
don't have it, no one else will either
>Work fluently with blah blah blah
I know Java
>Good understanding of OO programming
Yup, I took Intro to Java
>Good understanding of HTML and blah blah blah
I definitely did something with HTML at some point
>Experience working with APIs and Web Services
I probably read documentation sometimes
>Buzzwords
I can leverage up to 15 synergies per sitting!

Yes, they'll hire me, because this reads like an ad for a crappy startup looking for "rockstars". They'll take anyone willing to put up with their shit.

>I know Java

>Yes, they'll hire me, because this reads like an ad for a crappy startup looking for "rockstars". They'll take anyone willing to put up with their shit.
No they wouldn't. Or at least not if you're in the US. When a company posts a job isting like this they aren't looking for "rockstars" willing to put up with shit, they're looking to bring in an H1b.

>Do you know OOP?
>Yup, I took Intro to Java
imbecile

The point of my post was that you don't actually need to know anything to be qualified for a 60k software engineering job. But I'm sure the interviewer will be so impressed when you bring up your extensive knowledge of Eiffel.

programming is a shit way to make a living. it's just the next generation of blue collar work. digital brick layers.

there are some cool comp sci jobs but you need a phd and even then you'll be underpaid compared to other professions which commensurate qualifications and you'll work with autistic chinks all day until you kill yourself in your early 40s

Sounds like an easy 30-40 hr week job, plenty of time for worthless hobbies like physics and mathematics

this sounds like an H1B job the company will try to set up, then claim they can't find a person for the job with their inane requirements

>8+ years
iOS and Android have existed for less than 10 years.

They aren't gonna fill it if they're faithful to the 8 years experience requirement. At 60k that's ridiculous. Worse than the company that wanted me to be a developer in an expensive area for 45k. That's lower than people start at in my area of Detroit.

Anyways, I don't see the point of a CS degree when you can just get a math degree with some CS electives and actually understand the subject. Companies will hire you as long as you got experience in college.

Things still primarily get done by way of in-person meetings, plus like 99% of it is just rich people jerking off. The actual effort involved in producing and supporting "Silicon Valley" technology companies is spread out across the developed world.

Computer science is not a science, and it's not just about computers

They should rename it to "information mathematics"

This isn't a CS job, it's a SE (Software Engineering) job.

>They should rename it to "mathematics"

ftfy

Fell for cs meme but i will recover and be applied math major with minor in cs

Feels hirable mane

I fell for the software engineering as a hobby meme.

So far it's helped me simulate some stuff for my math thesis and generally been fun for fucking around.

making simple programs is fun and extremely useful

Even just the most basic stuff like "for" "if" and the basic math operations is extremely powerful

CS is perfect for when you're kind of a brainlet, but not that stupid and you want to make a decent living as a software developer. Actually that describes most of the guys I knew in CS - not stupid, not smart, and pretty terrible with math.

I also unironically enjoy manual memory handling in C

Do you get fat women to wear stilettos and stamp on your scrotum as well, user?

No, I just like feeling close to the machine

[spoiler]It's the only closeness I feel most of the time.[/spoiler]

A BS in Computer Science is useless and practically equivalent to a degree in leisure studies.

Some turbonerd came up with the term datalogi which probably fits better and doesn't claim to be a science. Doesn't roll off the tongue so well though.

>100k starting
That's just salary. A new grad at google / fb can expect:
* 110k salary
* 15k bonus
* 40k stock grant

Numbers will vary a bit but that's the range we're talking

But it's a subfield, it should have its own name.

Algorithms

No, I didn't, because I realized that the reason STEM (including CS) used to pay ridiculous and employ easy was because there were fewer people in the STEM disciplines. In high school, I realized that convincing everyone in the late 90's and early 2000's to get STEM degrees in the for-profit university system was going to either devalue or flood the employment market, or both. And, because I actually had some real world experience, I also realized the reality of the construction site: you only need one person designing the project, a handful of people providing inspection/oversight, and 300 "unskilled", credential-less guys swinging hammers.

The unfortunately reality of STEM is that the only "guaranteed" employment you're going to get is in medicine, because medicine is the only discipline where you need as many employees as you have customers.

You want guaranteed employment/money? Get a medicine degree, or figure out how to be entertaining.

CS becomes outdated whenever pure math becomes outdated.

Threads like this scare me. I'm currently studying CS but I am allowed to fully switch my degree to Math, wat do? Is it really a meme?

Being a non brainlet in CS is a ticket to a good job considering how many brainlets are wielding CS degrees

NYC Googler. Here's my breakdown (obfuscated so as not to identify myself) as a new graduate:

>salary ~130k
>1st-year stock ~70k
>bonus ~30k

What was your portfolio like

It's a meme if your degree is actually entitled 'cyber security.' The basis of cyber security is computer science (in the classical sense of the field). I want computer scientists developing the tools and procedures which keep me safe, not people who spent a few years applying what the computer scientists came up with.

It's essentially like majoring in "Godel's incompleteness theorem" instead of majoring in mathematics.

What do you mean 'my portfolio'? Do you mean my stock award? Google just awards x restricted stock units to vest resp. over the first year and then monthly until all are disbursed.

that sounds high for l3 swe. is that just with a bachelors?

What kind of coding projects did you do outside of school work?

Did they ask you any tricky mental questions during the interview, like "Why are manhole covers round?" type questions? Did you answer correctly?

As a security consultant with 20 years system/network admin experience I can vouch that 95% of security consultants are all talk. How one can specify hardening or controls without any experience managing systems and services is beyond me, and explains a lot about why the world is the way it is.

cute

delet this

>this faggot fell for the "working for google like a slave is not the worst job in the world" meme

no

>fell for the not noticing that he makes close to what you would in stock alone meme

I'll be making more an hour than any non-CS person (read: not the googler) in this thread will upon graduation, as a rising junior this summer. Feels good man. Let the math fags have their circlerjerk. I'm a double major and better at math than most of you any way.

You sure? I'm about to make 46/hr in low-cost Virginia. Just shy of the 100k mark.

And the silicon valley people you're talking about are making a lot more than 100k. Try 170k. This is an actual figure from a friend of mine graduating. And he also gets a large signing bonus since he interned there.

(not him) Google doesn't ask those questions anymore. Just hard questions like you'd find in ACM ICPC programming contests--dynamic programming, graph traversals in the context of solving a problem (dijkstra), etc.

If a CS class you're taking isn't largely mathematics (I'm talking really minimal "coding"), then it's dog shit. Any class with the words "programming", "coding", "development" or the phrase "software engineering" should be avoided like the plague. All programming should be learned through personal experimentation outside of school. Why try and learn modern programming principles from someone who doesn't work in industry?

Typical Veeky Forums retardation spouted from a freshman physics student. Obviously shit like design patterns you will learn in the industry (no school teaches those btw) but you will never understand computer organization without a good instructor and knowledge of C and assembly.

>you will never understand computer organization without a good instructor

top kek

>you need a degree to learn math

top zozzle

I did a lot of research as an undergraduate, so I had quite a few projects to list.

No. Like the other guy said, the hardest part reduced to fairly detailed, moderate-difficulty algorithms questions. Very little focus on programming (aside from having to implement my suggested solutions).

>Muh pipelining
>Muh instruction decode
>Muh virtual memory
>Muh instruction rearrangement
>Muh branch prediction

So advanced, so wow.

>I did a lot of research as an undergraduate, so I had quite a few projects to list.

Like?

UAE

Are you me?

at this point i think being an entrepreneur has higher job security

They are talking although I doubt it'll go through

>itt: mathfags argue with csfags about who is more employable

apples to oranges

>t. philosophy major

>going into saturated markets
>not being an entrepreneur
>picking a job based on pay

You only have yourself to blame.

DT signed an executive order to have the H1B program looked at. No action has been taken and not a lot has been specified about what is to be looked at, but I think the report is due out at the end of the month.

math memers, just do machine learning and work for the government

>just do high school algebra

meme exposed

Guess how many applications this job will receive?

99% of CS majors on Veeky Forums wouldn't be able to get this job.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA