I graduated with a degree in Geology today

I graduated from a state university. There were 4000 graduates in the class of 2017. About 300 in the college of Science and Health which were mostly biology students and nursing (it does not cover social sciences, computer sciences, or technology and related fields). Tons of exercise science majors which was a surprise. There were 9 Earth Science students graduating with me of which 6 were Environmental Science and Earth Science Education.

Leaving 3 of us graduating in Geology. Geology is fun, it's in demand, you work a lot outdoors, and you make good money. So why so few geologists? I'm truly baffled.

No one will ever care about your fucking rock collection.

because most of them keep their mouth shut and don't humble brag on their 4 chan blog post thread.
plus the job market sucks right now

You know the rules faggot!

Pics of your rock collection or GTFO!

>graduated from a state university
>bragging
Meh. Whatever makes you sleep at night champ

>geology is in demand
Fucking where?

>So why so few geologists? I'm truly baffled.
a big part of it is that earth science isn't taught in elementary/middle school, and hardly taught in most high schools. people learn basic biology, chemistry, and physics, but they don't get geology until college.
some people are trying to change that. one of the professors at my uni is doing a lot of education outreach, helping teach public school science teachers how to introduce geology in their classes.
t. paleofag

Fossil fuel and mining companies.

Civil engineering projects also need geologists to help find and/or build suitable foundations for construction projects.

Good on you for finding a little niche area of study for yourself, OP. I genuinely hope that you have a fruitful career ahead of you.

By the way, were you at all interested in going into materials science? In a manner of speaking, geology was the first materials science, namely natural materials science.

>Geology is fun, it's in demand

Every geo-major I've met has been awesome, but I'm not so sure about the demand. Geo-physicists tend to be the ones getting placement for Oil / NG companies.

Like all geologists, I can incase myself in stone and wield great boulders to crush my enemies. When I see one of impure heart trying to obtain this sacred power, I strike them down with righteous fury. That my son, is why there are so few of us.

They're minerals, walter.

>Geo-physicists tend to be the ones getting placement for Oil / NG companies.
micropaleontology is coming back into vogue, since seismic and well-log stratigraphy is so indistinct. mess up the interpretation and you drill a dry hole, and you're out potentially millions of dongers.
having a biostratigrapher on staff is expensive, but they'll be able to tell you how old the sediments you're drilling are based on fragments from mud logging, and this also allows multiple wells to be correlated with extremely high accuracy.
of course, the bigger reason micropaleo has good prospects at the moment is that hiring rates have been super low since the oil crises, causing older biostratigraphers to be retained in their current jobs without mentoring new guys. and now they're old and getting ready to retire, and big producers are scrambling to try and find replacements for them before that institutional memory is lost.

lel

I just graduated too my graduating class had 10 graduates. Biggest in our history. What re you going to do now geobro?

Hate to burst your bubble but fossil fuel and mining companies aren't hiring right now. I graduated top of a geology class of several dozen and work at a grocery store. A few people are doing GIS work or environmental science but mostly we're Uber drivers, waitresses, or fucking around at grad school. Only guy I know who found and kept an oil job (Schlumberger) graduated the year before us.

Stay away from my GIS. Damn programmers messing up cartography and scientists not doing proper data management

What kind of company will hire geology majors? The only thing you can do is become a teacher.

>So why so few geologists?
After the offshore oil market imploded the job massacre was rather horrific and salary levels cult as if by Genghis Khan. That tends to put the brakes on interests.

>So why so few geologists?
Cause they aren't as dumb as a bag of rocks.

>kept an oil job (Schlumberger)
I know that company.

I would rather recommend you go for a PhD and hope the job market will improve in the 4 - 6 years it will take you to complete your thesis.

>6 were Environmental Science and Earth Science Education.

Holy fuck.

Did you guys at least gave them some comfort before they go into the literall hell that is going to be the rest of their lives?

currenlty a junior at a state uni for geology. Any recommendation or tips? I plan on going for at least a masters..

Why did you pick geology? What made you like it so much as to do a degree in geology? I found it terribly boring when I studied it, but everyone in my class adored the subject.

be patient.
the price of oil won't be low forever, and the crop of retirees will force big producers to hire replacements. (the upside of a long spell of low hiring is that a bunch of industry professionals retire at once, instead of spaced out.)
someday your prince will come.