Look at the comments on this video

youtube.com/watch?v=dIfIVNH-zUM

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h5i_iDyUTCg
youtube.com/watch?v=8Wznf3k57fA
youtube.com/watch?v=GFTgkibl7DU
americanloons.blogspot.com/2016/01/1565-eric-dubay.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Literally go to the tallest building near you and look out at the curvature yourself.

The sun doesn't look like it's millions of miles away to me, just sayin!

What's the source of this culture of stupidity? Is it by design? Are we being unknowingly groomed to be as dumb as possible?

part of it is the stupidity of US public education that generally values obedience over critical thinking. It's like how Trump got away with his 'fake news' meme because people sensed subconsciously that corporate media was all bullshit but the conscious part of his followers thought the facts of say CNN were BS rather than the presentation.

And of course, not a single argument in this thread, just name-calling.

Globefags are actually braindead.

that's clearly a fisheye lens

Yes.
It's not only in the states, flat earthers are everywhere.

>Literally go to the tallest building near you and look out at the curvature yourself.
>name-calling

2/10

>just name-calling
>Globefags are actually braindead.

I don't have enough fedora jpegs on my computer for the subhumans on this board who uncritically accept what they've been told about this planet.

Yeah good argument

The only thing worse than believing what you're told is not believing what you're told because you're an edgy contrarian retard.

You can literally buy a telescope (or alternatively look up youtube videos of normal people using them) and you can see that the planets are clearly, obviously spheres. They're not just luminaries in the sky like Eric Dubay will try to argue. If all the other planets are round, isn't it just logical that our Earth would also be round?

>clearly, obviously spheres
but this is clearly a big flat circle

You don't need to rely on NASA pictures to believe the Earth is round. Look up pictures of Saturn taken by average layman with good telescopes. You can clearly see the shadow that Saturn throws on its ring. If the Flat Earth model is correct and the Sun travels over the disk of the flat earth and its supposedly limited light range accounting for the day/night cycle, then what is Saturn being illuminated by that causes it to throw a shadow?

How is this possible though?

reminder that the people making anti-flat earth threads are the same people making pro-flat earth posts

>flat as fuck , this will come out soon I'm sure, at my daughters school one of her teachers has told them to research Flat Earth and told them its not as crazy as it sounds! how cool is that !!

fug

I hope this is a troll because this argument makes no fucking sense.

For balance and luls god created Smart people and stupid people. Internet just gave them a voice

it's shit like this that reminds me to not take anybody or anything too seriously
i'm not sure how you could take these people seriously without getting depressed

The Earth is a spectrum.

It's a certain type of person that has no capacity to discriminate information rationally, they rely on pattern recognition and emotional whims. The pattern in this case: lying gov/figures of authority has become so pervasive they are unable to accept it and instead lean towards their emotional desires.

Trump wasn't the one who started the fake news phrase

I hate to break this to you fags, but..
>the Earth only seems flat because it is so large that it can only seem as such. If the Earth is flat why is there not a sudden and dramatic shift when a plane crosses the edge to the other side of the planet?
>humanity is fucking doomed to learn backwards thanks to mass media.

How do you know this?

This meme is like half a year old and I still can't tell if it's a joke or not

He seems like he's not joking. Here's a video he made called "200 proofs that Earth is not a spinning ball"

youtube.com/watch?v=h5i_iDyUTCg

And here he is being interviewed by some Mexican conspiracy theory radio host

youtube.com/watch?v=8Wznf3k57fA

It started as a joke but it evolved into actual conspiracy. I know a few people irl who actually believe it.

I see why flat earthers and others of their kind find it so appealing to flirt with 'theories' and conspiracies as such.

Three reasons: they got a whiff of the epistemic limits of the scientific method, they're sceptical and lastly, they're dumb, or not very thorough at the least.

The limits of the scientific method are twofold in that they are predicated on the limits of our senses (empirical) and the limits of our cognition which can only be logical(causal).

Flat earthers are right when they say for instance - the theory of gravitation is not a fact. It is an explanatory model, but it is perfectly imaginable that it could have theoretical implications that are denied by empirical truths yet to be observed. If we do uncover them, we'd have to refine the theory so that it is congruent with those non-local truths. This is how theories work. They are mere explanatory models devoid of internal and external contradictions, but subject to change.

This is how their whole thing is validated: theoretical limits. Where they go wrong is embracing unproven conspiracies to prove their point. But say you agree to debate a person like this, embrace their conspiracies and leave all photographic and experiential accounts out of the conversation. What they do is, instead of coming up with a unified theory that supports their model of Earth and isn't invalidated by the rest of the Universe, they come up with explanations for local objects, which ultimately contradict eachother, or are invalidated by non-local truths.

Ultimately, the only way you can convince such a person is by sending them into the fucking exosphere, or actually putting them on a plane that circumnavigates the earth both from N to S and from E to W.

lol @ all the globeheads and spherecucks on this board

have fun with all your fake science and forged "evidence"

He probably meant "alternative facts"

If the earth is flat, how come I saw different constellations when I went to the southern hemisphere?

Have fun explaining startrails' motion.
Have fun explaining gravity and strength of materials
Have fun explaining seismic waves propagation

I think what they say is that the stars are much closer to Earth than people believe, so when you move to a different part of the disk you're seeing different stars

Okay that makes some sense. But there is one flaw to that argument. In the northern hemisphere, the sky rotates about the north star polaris. This makes sense because the north pole is the center of the disk. So as you move further south towards the edge of the disk, the sky will appear to be rotating less and less around a point and just be moving across the sky (as one would view from the equator). But in the southern hemisphere the stars revolved around a single point in the sky. How does a flat earth explain this?

You can also notice that the stars rotate counterclockwise from our point of view in the north regions, and clockwise from the point of view of a southern citizen.
The proof for a geodesic earth is literally an hour away from you

I used to think flat earth was as crazy as anyone else does, but holy shit. To say there are suspicious elements to the sphere story is putting it lightly. I just cannot for the life of me fathom why a government, ANY government, would try to trick its people about something so odd.

if the earth is a disk, why are the effects of seasons on the length of daytime more pronounced near the poles? checkmate flatties

poe's law
also
>"Acting like retards brings in actual retards who think they're etc etc"

Are there people who really believe the earth is flat? No memes please.

What would one gain from the earth being round?
This sounds retarded, even the faggots who claim "Big Pharma has all the cures they're just hiding it!" have a plausible reason as to why. (even if they are flat out wrong)

Big Pharma may not have all the cures but that doesn't mean they can charge $500 per month for insulin and lobby to keep weed illegal.

>rockets are supposed to be tightly closed tin cans to prevent the air from being sucked out in space because that's what space does to air
>meanwhile the earth is a naked ball of rock yet we still aren't suffocating
Someone's either lying about what the earth is, or about space. Probably both.

It's sad that people have become so distrustful that this kind of nonsense catches on. It really seems like it got into full swing around '03 with the 9/11 Truther movement.

Sadly it's not all that illogical either, if it wasn't due to people in high levels of power acting in conspiratorial manners, the trust wouldn't be lost to this extent.

Yes, various people did various shady things at various levels of govt over the last century. BUT that doesn't mean the earth is flat or reptile aliens are controlling your mind.

Low quality bait.

The earth has immense gravity compared to a fucking space ship..

yeah because flat circles cast shadows too

This optical illusion is caused by gravity bending light. Far away objects appear lower than they really are because the light hasn't traveled in a straight line to you.

Round earthers aren't exactly stupid. They understand Newtonian mechanics, they just don't understand relativity.

what's the metric for a flat earth?

This flat earth thing has really just made my life so much more interesting. I know have several friends on Facebook who buy into this. Mind you none of them have anything beyond a high school diploma or ged. The desire to explain away phenomenon with a flat earth is just a truly amazing thing to me.

You almost sound like you know what you're talking about but earth's gravitational field can only bend light by a faction of a millionth of a degree. Temperature differentials alone cause light to "curve" by many many orders of magnitude more and by "curve" I mean it still travels in straight lines but chooses to move in faster mediums for as long as it can.

>This optical illusion is caused by gravity bending light.

I thought flat earthers didn't believe in gravity.

I think it's mostly people either trolling and/or they're so mistrustful of the "establishment" or "mainstream media" or whatever that they just go along with any conspiracy theory (like black people who say mozart was black and shit like that)

If Earth is a flat disk, then the Equator is a 2-dimensional circle. But to travel along the equator all you have to do is go straight forward the whole time. How do the flat people explain this?

...or by beating the ever-living shit out of them to near death. That really does the trick and is the cheapest solution.

>"Have YOU ever actually TRIED to walk around the equator?"

Probably something like this. All conspiratards are the same. If your fundamentals are sound you can spot the places where the arguments for shit like flat earthism and holocaust denial are written in on the same template.

Arguing with creationists and flat-earthers just gives them the attn they crave.

have you actually *tried* to measure the shadow cast by a tall object at two different locations on the earth at different times?

hah thought not
truthers 1
ballcucks 0

Mfw every celestial object is flat.
The sun is flat, earth flat, moon flat, everything flat. A whole bunch of celestial objects looking like paper rotating around other paper like object . Mfw imagining this looks so fucking retarded.

back to pol you scientifically illiterate retard we don't need you shitting up this board with your autistic shitposting

kek, reminds me of "small, far away" from Father Ted
youtube.com/watch?v=GFTgkibl7DU

You know I'm not the guy who made this video, right?

A lot of them are religious, apparentlly it's an overly- literalistic interpretation of the bible

They usually say that gravity doesn't exist, and the effect is caused by the earth steadily accelerating upwards.

They never explain where the power for acceleration comes from. Furthermore it can't explain gravitational anomalies.

I don't see that anywhere.

Look at the Youtube videos espousing flat earth.

>Another shitty flat earth thread

Round Earthers never explain where the energy for gravity comes from.

kek

The taxicab metric

That is the least of the issues. Another issue is that it means EVERY government, EVERY airline (down to the flight attendents, and EVERY scientist is lying to you. Just to send money to NASA for gifts.

Gravity is a property of mass. Therefore its energy comes from the mass of objects.

For constant acceleration you would need a continuous supply of energy for thrust.

>They just don't understand relativity

Then how the fuck does the earth bend light?

Gravity, same way it pulls you

Gravitons

Then why can't I just reach out and grab light?

leave it be, OP
this people here cannot be reasoned with, they will fight tooth and nail for their delusions

>This optical illusion is caused by gravity bending light. Far away objects appear lower than they really are because the light hasn't traveled in a straight line to you.

Actually gravitational bending of light would have the opposite effect (if it were detectable). Downward-bending light would make a flat earth appear slightly concave.

On a spherical planet, it would make it look slightly _less_ curved, not more.

If the Earth is flat why are there mountains?

> trump started fake news
> cnn had facts

>the facts of CNN
top kek

This. Its often far easier to have a very simple world view such as "everything the state says is a lie" rather than "many things the state says is lies, however there are also fundamental truths that no one is trying to hide and it up to us and our own rational judgement to figure out truth from fabrication."
Its a lot easier just to believe the opposite of what the mainstream tells you than it is to judge each dogma on its own.

Space-time curvature. Light has no mass but it follows the geodesic.

CNN never had facts mate

I think flat earthers showcase quite elaborately how you can build a pretty convincing lie by simple trial and error.
People saying that the earth is flat have been around for years and years, but in the early days
their arguments were pretty weak and everone saw through their act immediately.
Over the years they have dropped the arguments that were easily disproven or dismissed and focused on the ones that force people out of
their comfort zone, easily baffle them, or just require lengthy explanations to be proven wrong.
Over time they have gotten so good, that people who weren't around to see how retarded their first steps were can be
convinced that there are actual people who believe in flat earth.

I think it's mostly because your average normie can't disprove an experienced flat earth theorist.
They can't just summon perfect counter-arguments out of their ass if they don't do some research first, so they
have to resort to simply trusting that what they've been told since they were children is correct.

This curvature thing is a prime example of an argument that's designed to baffle people.
Every time there'll be someone telling about camera lenses but a flat-earther just needs to go
>camera lenses
with a smug anime girl attached, and suddenly for someone who isn't proficient with how cameras or their lenses work, neither argument is better
than the other. Not when looked at in a vacuum where there is no prior assumption that the earth indeed is round.
In the end most people can only trust in what they think is closer to truth, and while basically everything is built on trust and assumptions
it's pretty irritating when it comes to play this close to the argument. It makes you unable to completely trust either side.

You could resolve the situation by doing some research and understand how things actually do make more sense when earth is round but let's face it; You won't do that.

A tenet of Scientism is that lying is an integral part of institutions...

You first paragraph describes how everything we "know" about "reality" came to be, including the shape of the Earth, be in spherical or flat. The only criterion that has even favored one explanation over an other being Human power and desire.

The shape of the Earth is a meaningless formality but it being flat is no more far-fetched than water being dynamic. Both contradict Empirical data gathered from a far enough vantage point, despite being obvious to our felt experience, and both can be "debunked" by minimal hand-waving, i.e. shifting patters in water are caused by light refraction and do not indicate movement of any sort.

What is the basis of your assertion?

I wonder whether the Constanza meme then was as big as Pepe meme now ...

Yeah, and unconditional love is a central tenet of Christianity. That doesn't mean every Christian practices unconditional love all the time.

By the same token, not ever scientist would lie all the time.

>What's the source of this culture of stupidity?
I'm pretty sure flat-earth started out a s a troll, and I'm slightly less certain most flat-earthers are still trolls.

>flat earthers are everywhere.

>How crazy do you have to be to support the flat earth theory!! Seriously just don't question anything!!
$0.02 deposited into your account

Dude... nobody here's buying your bullshit.

There are a lot of cultish crazies following flat the earth meme.

Eric Dubay has a decent following
americanloons.blogspot.com/2016/01/1565-eric-dubay.html

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>How much of a shill do you have to be not to support the flat earth theory!! Seriously just don't question anything!!

Strawman