Is SETI dangerous?

Important personalities like Stephen Hawking have spoken against the SETI project, arguing that it is retarded for us to broadcast our location and existence to the entire Galaxy, since we do not know what may be out there.

There is a high probability that an advanced alien civilization capable of reaching and communicating with us would be hostile.

Do they have a point Veeky Forums?
Is SETI dangerous as fuck?

Other urls found in this thread:

phys.org/news/2008-06-doritos-history-world-extraterrestrial-advert.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

SETI Just listens for radio transmission aliems are making. Back in 2015 they thought about broadcasting a message but chose not to. It's pretty irrelevant though since we've been unintentionally broadcasting radio waves into deep space for eighty years already.

Who cares. Its a good shot of aliens finding us and making anime real or they find is and squash us like a bug. IDK which i worse.

>There is a high probability that an advanced alien civilzation capable of reaching and communicating with us would be hostile
What are you basing this off of?
Wouldn't a sufficiently advanced speicies be beyond such behavior? just look at where humanity is going in terms of violence.

I doubt there are any alien civilizations near enough to us to detect our radio transmissions and the like. If there are, they're doing a good job hiding.

If they detected life on earth it would be based on things like chemical signatures. Being alone would be the best-case scenario, though.

>it is retarded for us to broadcast our location and existence to the entire Galaxy, since we do not know what may be out there.
Isn't it kind of too late for that anyway? We've been broadcasting radio for a long time now, and SETI is an extreme minority of those transmissions.

>There is a high probability that an advanced alien civilization capable of reaching and communicating with us would be hostile.
For what possible reason? We have nothing anyone could get here would want, and no weapons that anyone could get here would fear.

>Isn't it kind of too late for that anyway? We've been broadcasting radio for a long time now, and SETI is an extreme minority of those transmissions.
Yeah, but our broadcasts aren't really targeted at anything, and they are attenuated over time. it's different from aiming right at a star and broadcasting at it.

We don't have enough information to make any guesses on how aliens will behave, but human history shows technological advancement doesn't automatically mean enlightenment.

>humans broadcasting

Space is fucking huge and attenuation is a major bitch. No human borne signal could reach any other civilization and still remain intelligible or even noticed as being a communication signal in the first place. In order to communicate on such vast scales you'd need to block out the sun like a giant signal light in the direction of space you want to communicate with. There's just nothing powerful enough to do anything else.

The only thing in the solar system any other interstellar traveling being would want, would be the sun. It would just be a gas station pit stop on the way to someplace else at best.

No, there is no need to worry about the greys. I am 99% sure humans are probably the one of if not the only sentient race in the galaxy. The femi paradox is misunderstood and the universe is still young.

>advanced civilization is clearly communist
>reaches our planet. Sees people from Africa and then compares with people in Hollywood
>they realize we are capitalists
>they nuke our entire world, just before taking a good genetic sample so that they can re-start our world to be a nice communist society

Start praying and be sure to leave a lot of signs that you are a communist so that you get chosen by the aliens to repopulate this earth.

Question #1, How would anything even begin to understand us. If there are no formal axioms of communication, how can we expect to communicate with anything outside of humans.

Question #2. Assuming #1 is accurate, how would alien life distinguish our broadcast as anything other than noise or frequency? Wouldn't it be like hearing the cry of an animal somewhere far away.

Question #3 Why are the foundations of this project operating under the assumption that aliens are like us in terms of communicative foundations or even sensory foundations?

>communist

Veeky Forums is an 18 or older website.

"formal axioms" of communication would basically be frequency modulations representing mathematical stuff. pretty good assumption that if you can't differentiate between varying frequencies of anything, you're not really a viable life-form. same thing with the math - regardless of how it's conceived of to them, you're probably not going to be able to develop tools needed to receive signals from earth without it

>how would alien life distinguish our broadcast as anything other than noise or frequency? Wouldn't it be like hearing the cry of an animal somewhere far away.
Even if you can't understand the actual content of the message, a (sufficiently long) information-carrying signal is going to look very different to the kinds of random noise that the heavens produce.

SETI is a joke/scam and they know it. Signals degrading into background radiation makes the range so small it's barely worth noting. It's like a shitty walkie talkie signal that wont last more than a few feet.

>Not the guy

I guess global abundance with sustainable resource economy that takes care for most if not all members of species and therefore frees them to pursue whatever they feel like pursuing is more appropriate term

Anyway, it would take us around 100 years to reach the outer rim of our galaxy travelling by speed of light. So I guess if aliens aren't in our galaxy already they are going to have a hard time getting to us and will probably die before they can reach us

>taking care of people who are worthless to society
>spouting commie crap
>implying an incredibly advanced civilization wouldnt have faster than light wormhole technology

>faster than light wormhole
with your scifi crap.

It isn't SETI sending messages into space. It only listens, it's just us in general. Everything from radio waves to gamma waves (nukes) fly into space.

>deciding whats commie and not living in postcommie country
>implying that you are the one who's an expert in sociology & sociobiology, inequality, poverty, societal influences etc.

>We don't have enough information to make any guesses on how aliens will behave, but human history shows technological advancement doesn't automatically mean enlightenment.

It kind of does, though.

I can believe that but think culture and history before technology has a far greater impact on whether or not a civilization would be hostile to alien life or not.

I also think psychologically projecting on a completely unknown life form is sort of ridiculous.

Maybe the fear is healthy, because the possibility of a highly advanced civilization being hostile is an existential threat.

One more thought, it would seem with what we know now, even if they could detect us they couldn't do anything but send a message back at the speed of light. (hopefully not in the form of a concentrated coherent gamma ray)

SETI is impossible. Inverse Square is a bitch.

It's highly doubtful there are any advanced civilizations in our galaxy or any nearby galaxies.

There are. Just going to be impossible to find one by listening.

Star is 78 light years away. So it has to have advanced life 78 years ago.

>implying that you are the one who's an expert in sociology
>expert in sociology

This is a board of science, not pseudo shit. It's like you're arguing that he has to be an expert in crystal healing to understand how positive auras cure cancer.

I consider sociology to be "epidemiology of ideas"
Oh, and there is plenty o' pseudo shit going on in science like dark matter/energy, string theory, "living" crystals etc.

>hating sociology on /sci is ok
>defending it is not

Hypocrites, hypocrites everywhere

Hypocrites? There is no contradiction.

>just look at where humanity is going in terms of violence.

yeah okay we might treat each other slightly better on average

then again we are causing mass extinctions

also we slaughter how many animals for food every year without a second thought? why would a tier 3 civilization treat us better than how we treat a species much closer to us technologically and evolutionarily?

>takes care for most if not all members of species

Fucking childish politics.

This. Who knows, maybe people meat is delicious. When the aliens find this out they will farm us like we farm cows and pigs. That would probably be worse than them just wanting to destroy us.

>Important personalities like Stephen Hawking have spoken against the SETI project, arguing that it is retarded for us to broadcast our location and existence to the entire Galaxy,

This is retarded. A alien society would be WAY ahead or WAY behind us.

If they are way ahead, there could detect us without SETI.

If they are way behind then they are irrelevant anyway.

Go away wheelie

What if they are slightly ahead.

It is so rare as to be ignorable

Lol aliens would be super advanced and peaceful because you can't be advanced while having wars and racism and shit. If they find us they'll come to help and teach us.

Not necessarily, they have as much chance at that as being any other stage. Dont reply thanks.

I always thought a superior intelligence with a distinct biology would be impossible to understand to us and the idea that we could do it appears to me as arrogant af. I mean, to put an example, our dogs are pretty smart creatures they kind of understand some little commands and such but they can't penetrate deep into our minds, intentions, culture simply because they lack the brain power to do so.

t. brainlet

They are way more likely to be in the far ahead range "1000 years to 10,000,000 years" than they are to be in the "slightly ahead" range simply by the laws of statistics

How so?

It's retarded, there is nothing on earth worth conquering. It's like a tribe deep in the Amazonas jungle being afraid of civilization. There is no reason why we would conquer them, but they might randomly die because of unintended consequences of our activity. I could see humanity dying as an effect of something like "galactic pollution" caused by some freaky alien technology.

Age of civilization has no direct impact on how advanced it is.

Fortunately, the signal will degrade to and past the point of being useless noise. Even if a source could be discerned, of what calue would that be if there was nothing to evidence life?

because they are more years in the range DUH

>Age of civilization has no direct impact on how advanced it is.

so a one year old civilization can be more advanced than a trillion year old ones?

One does not imply the other.

You unironically take that graph as fact? Dont you think there would be evidence of past advnced civilizations? I mean sure, theres the occasional spark plug inside an ancient rock but those anomolies are too rare to indicate a massive highly advanced civilization and they can usually be explained away. If there was even a civilization of our current level previously then where did all the skyscrapers go? When they find those i would believe it but they wont because they dont exist.

Just because its not probable doesnt mean we can assume they dont exist. Theres way too many rolls of the dice to say there is no possible way anyone has had the same dice rolls before.

Am I being baited?

No. Am i?

If we were farmed it would ensure our survival as a species and get us tickets across the cosmos. Just like how cows are everywhere and there's 1.4 billion of them now.

I'm not really sure about the trade off though.

Actually yes. Prior to having civilization, the 1-year old civilization may have had amazing technology invented by individuals. While the trillion-year old civilization may have lost everything due to a cataclysm and reverted back to clay pots, tribal cities.

Radio waves won't make it

But fear not, because we have beamed a doritos commercial!

phys.org/news/2008-06-doritos-history-world-extraterrestrial-advert.html

>i cannot into logic

>by quantum chance a perfectly fine roll of bread can materialise in front of me

this is how retarded you are

This is a fucking blue board you faggot. Get your /d/ shit out of here.

Not remotely powerful enough or focused enough to reach anything with any semblance of intelligence.

No nudity, roastie.

ay
lee
ums

It is a little silly, purely because (as hawking said himself) the we've no clue what may be out there.

To be honest with you though, we've sent a shit tone of radio broadcasts into space the last hundred years, if there's an advanced race out there and they want to find us, they will already have a lot of shit to listen for

From what I understand most radio that we release is undetectable before it leaves our solar system, so no aliens watching I Love Lucy. But If I remember right there is miltary radar that can get pretty far out through.

There's no nudity or sexual content in that image.

Thats not even close to the probability we are talking about when it comes to similarly advanced aliens. Excellent example of a strawman fallacy though. Keep it up. Great job.

A hostile civilization could destroy themselves before the get very advanced.

Undetectable for us, but maybe not for a highly sophisticated civilization with highly sophisticated radio telescopes.

>high probability
Huh, no, hostility is barbarianism and barbarians can't into space. What, do you expect them to fly their stone rockets?

Moctezuma welcomed the Spaniards into his palace, assuming anyone with such impressive technology must be God.

Look how he ended up.

>can't even imagine interstellar travel without FTL
Do you see how much of a nigger you are?

Medieval savages? Kek. Even today we can see that not very much is needed to go past such retardation.

>morons who don't understand what science actually is.
>morons shitposting on this board and not adding anything
Wew fun derailing.

I don't even care, I'd risk death in exchange for contacting ayylmaos.