Guys you seriously only have about 100 years to leave the planet ok

>Guys you seriously only have about 100 years to leave the planet ok

Is this guy being manipulated into saying things or has he actually become insane, as people have theorized for years?

People -still- talk as though he's some sort of genius outside the realm of math but come on, what's honestly going on in his head?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/u7W0Nm8iHwk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

His only means of communication is a computer. For all we know, it could have been hijacked long ago and he could just be a puppet. You wouldn't really be able to tell, would you?

Shit, that's deep.

probably
i would be very suprised if he did any research on the subject

he probably just watched inconvenient truth

Nice tripquads

This desu. There's LOTS of money in boxing in the real smarties and filter their communication.

he says ridiculous shit like this all the time. py him no mind

he's still smart as shit. I'm still trying to wrap my head around his soft hairs paper from last year.

This makes me uncomfortable

As an ecosystem scientist it makes sense to me.
100 years seems like an hyperbole but civilization will collapse soon and we will slowly go extinct.
Do remember we are already in the middle of a mass extinction on scale of the Jurassic-Triassic extinction and our climate is destabilizing. Everything gets much worse with feedback loops.
Thinking we are somehow beyond our ecological limitations or that tech can replace complex living systems is just absurd.
Losing human sentience and language is tragic. Life on earth is on the cusp of becoming holistically conscious through our understanding and its disappearing. It's cosmic irony, we are all devo
We can't leave earth, we can fix what we have will we still have something to fix or we die.

Now we see everything that's going wrong
With the world and those who lead it
We just feel like we don't have the means
To rise above and beat it

So we keep waiting
Waiting on the world to change
We keep on waiting

It's hard to beat the system
When we're standing at a distance
So we keep waiting

Maybe I'm just another doomsayer and I'm catastrophizing. I sure hope, but I'm informed by science.
Hopefully the experience of everything I love on earth vanishing before my eyes gives me a biased starting point. I'm a rational and empirically informed person so I don't think it is likely.
Maybe withdraw into my schizoid wax mound world is even worse than reality, atleast there I have the power to fix the real life problems I'm dealing with.
All evidence points towrds the end and I see order-parameters breaking down every time I leave the house.
Even the old timers i meet by the river notice the song birds are gone, the forests are sick(yes, literally sick, it's not anthropomorphism, they are living systems) , and the phenology is all fucked up.
Everyone who actually interacts with 'nature' and has some depth of ecological knowledge sees this. its only the alienated people living in industrial-consumer societies that think things will be fine, or it's not as bad as we say it is.
What do you do?
The doomsayers aren't on the street corner anymore, they are academics in the life sciences.

but he moves his hand to type, right

The intuition of art constantly one ups the empiricism of science
Check this out from rush youtu.be/u7W0Nm8iHwk
I. Tide Pools
When the ebbing tide retreats
Along the rocky shoreline
It leaves a trail of tidal pools
In a short-lived galaxy
Each microcosmic planet
A complete society

>A simple kind mirror
>To reflect upon our own
>All the busy little creatures
>Chasing out their destinies
>Living in their pools
>They soon forget about the sea…

Wheels within wheels
In a spiral array
A pattern so grand
And complex
Time after time
We lose sight of the way
Our causes can’t see
Their effects
II. Hyperspace
A quantum leap forward
In time and in space
The universe learned to expand

>The mess and the magic
>Triumphant and tragic
>A mechanized world, out of hand

>Computerized clinic
>For superior cynics
>Who dance to a synthetic band

>In their own image
>Their world is fashioned –
>No wonder they don’t understand

Wheels within wheels
In a spiral array
A pattern so grand
And complex
Time after time
We lose sight of the way
Our causes can’t see
Their effects
III. Permanent Waves
>Science, like Nature
>Must also be tamed
>With a view towards its preservation
Given the same
State of integrity
It will surely serve us well

Art as expression –
Not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations
Given the same
State of integrity
It will surely help us along

The most endangered species –
The honest man
Will still survive annihilation(WRONG)
Forming a world –
State of integrity
Sensitive, open and strong.

>Wave after wave
>Will flow with the tide
>And bury the world as it does
>Tide after tide
>Will flow and recede
>Leaving life to go on
As it was…(pic related)

Rush hit the nail on the head here, unfortunately devo was right too.

Forgot picture

We may not be able to leave earth per se, but we can definitely take earth with us. While teraforming a whole planet may seem like more trouble than it's worth, I don't understand why we haven't tried to create a mobile ecosystem we can inhabit yet.

We could literally make a fleet of ships with all of the essentials we need to survive as well as the necessary information about all of the various environments on our current planet and leave earth once we've worked out how to create and maintain all of this on a whim.

>we will slowly go extinct.
user, human minimal viable population is 5000, are you implying that nowhere on earth there will be a village with 5000 people left?

Science is not immune to error.

Well climate is a huge variable, nutrient flows, And pic related.
Ecosystems capable of supporting human life take an unbeliavable amount of synergy to organize, and we simply don't have the biodiversty to take with us.
Maybe one day, but that day will never come if we can't figure out a way to support human life on anthropocene earth.
This is why disciplines in earth/living system-network science and the empirical study of ecology, agroecology and biodiversty conservation are the moral imperative everyone should be scrambling to reach, but we are enslaved to our heiarchal social systems, as opposed to the earth/life systems that actually provide us with everything we have, too worried about keeping our jobs or preventing nuclear annihilation to save the planet, that's what's best for business.
I usually try to keep science and politics seperate but anarchism is our best hope.
Low populations will exist for a while but after events like this on the geologic record it usually takes about 10-20 million years for complex life to radiate again. A slow decline, but I don't see us making it too long without radical action.
It's obvious though, without science it's obvious. This isn't theoretical prediction(which is just as bleak) it's empircal observation and propositional logic

Dammit I forget picture again

> resolution
Cant' read it

>zoom

I would agree. The earth has had exctintion events in the past, it will happen again, its only a matter of time. As for how far in the future? Nobody can really say until it happens, but the hundred year mark isnt a bad goal. If we can put human colonies on at least 2 different planets our chances of going extinct, due to forces beyond our control, at some point in the future drop from about 100% to almost zero. This is assuming the extraterrestrial colonies have a means of continuing human advancement.

>how far in the future
Started early Holocene and the extinction rate as exploded since industry emerged. That's why they call this the anthropocene.

>but he moves his hand to type, right
His paralysis has continued to progress, so he's down to using one cheek muscle for that now.

Im not talking about a large die off labeled as an extinction, im talking a fucking comet hitting the planet and turning the entire surface into molten lava. Life would start over at square one assuming there were any microbes that survived.

Well to put it in perspective anthropocene can scale to the Jurassic-Triassic extinction. Species loss isn't as damaging as biodiversty loss on an ecological scale. Especially under an entropic climate ecological systems are disappearing and lacking organismal biodiversty and stable boundary conditions they won't be self-organizing again any time soon. Humanities potential to teleologically organize and preserve ecological systems is all but gone, as we face the same adaptive-capacity challenges and are making little effort in that way. Contrary our (consumer-)state-industrial systems are destroying the few ecological systems that aren't declining or destabilized.
For example, about 40% of the worlds coral reefs are bleaching due to rising sea temperature, by 2050s theory says 90% of coral reefs will be dead.
This kills the marine population/Trophic interactions, seascape ecosystem dynamics, for example recurretment between reefs and pelagic, deep sea, costal populations, destroying the little mangrove ecosystems left(world bank already killed most with shrimp aquaculture) this has complex consequences rippling through earth-social-ecological-economic systems and every living thing on earth will is hurt by events like this mutiple times as the interactions walk through layers of networks. This is just coral reefs, this is happening everywhere and the result is a massive increase in degrees of freedom for all of earths dynamic systems, meaning entropy and mass extinctions that will probably leave some generalist complex organisms that can survive it, but ecosystems will break down and life will be reduced to very simple systems.
It's hard to explain this to people that don't study it. I have a hunch you need "a beautiful mind"(schizoid derealization, not exclusive to schizophrenia) to really get it. The concepts are easy to learn but putting them to proposition seems to require an imagination detached from experience.

And that takes a really long time for him to write anything out. When he goes anywhere to give a speech, it's not "spoken" live by him twitching his face muscle. He's just sitting there while the transcript loops through his speech box. He's the Milli Vanilli of lecturers.