Photons have no mass

>photons have no mass
>solar sail work
choose one and only one

I honestly think we should build these, because aliens would laugh so fucking hard at us moving by shooting lasers into mirrored material. They'd be like no, we should step in and help.

What is radiation pressure for $200?

>>photons have no mass
>>solar sail work
>choose one and only one
you need to do some research user
>implying solar sail works by light photons and not charged particles in solar wind.

Just because light carries no mass doesn't mean it doesn't carry momentum.

oh boy, oh boy

photons have no REST mass. but as they are never at rest ...

You know funnily enough, I was just thinking about this exact thing yesterday. Since I'm a brainlet I just assumed I was misinformed about what exactly a photon is. Can someone explain this?

DING DING

they do have mass, they wouldn't be moving if they didn't and that's not how solar sails work.

p = mv

when m = 0 so does p

But Michio Kaku said so

>Using Newtonian physics to describe photons
Were you born this stupid or did you have to work on it?

[math]E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4[/math]
If m = 0, E = pc. Light has energy, so it has momentum.

the bait my nigga

>using p=mv to describe momentum of photons.

They can't, because scientist are brainlet cultist

so they don't really have momentum, they have some shit that humans try to understand by calling it momentum

top keking jej

Pendulums have been made to move by striking them with photons. Photon momentum is real.

>Some shit humans try to understand by calling it momentum
We invented the word so I think we are allowed to define what it is. And we understand it well enough to calculate it

>using overly simplistic highschool phsyics to try and describe higher concepts.
Go back to bed mate. you have school in the morning.
>What is p=h/λ

Yeah but why?

What about conservation of momentum?

photons can make electrons, which do have mass, "jump" ?

Mass isn't really required for pressure, any sort of charge might work

yep lol

^this

this fact amazes me every day.

Not to mention electron spin being quantized and measurable with a similar apparatus not to mention a magnetic field.

it has momentum and therefore imparts a force

read about raditation pressure in stars

Photons have momentum, be less retarded next time.

Reminder to report shills like this and ignore crackpot posts

also

p=h/λ

You just gave the original statement again instead of answering my question

It's not zero, it's .0011111111111

>>photons have no mass
>>solar sail work
>choose one and only one
Another day, another myriad of brainlets....

p=mv Anything * 0 always equals zero desu

>what is a null geodesic

this is of course the correct answer. Unlike matter, photon momentum is dependent on frequency instead of mass.

They transfer their momentum when absorbed, and twice their momentum when reflected. Verified experimentally a century ago, and via Japan's IKAROS solar sail mission this decade.

(Just bought Les Johnson's "Solar Sails" after seeing his lecture. He's currently planning a NASA solar sail mission in 2018: Near Earth Asteroid Scout!)

That doesn't mean that photons are little tiny basketballs that bounce off of shit

you can convert one form of energy into another

>implying photons exist

Prove that first. As far as I can tell, we really don't fully understand "light" or any other electro-magnetic wave.

Short answer - Newton's physics cannot describe photon momentum. Read up about how momentum and wavelength are related. Also read literally anything on basic quantum theory, the very first line will be: "photons have momentum, and here's why"

ah yes, the photoelectric effect isn't a thing. go back to /pol where they deal with this type of autism

That doesn't prove photons exist user.

The idea of discrete packets of energy is just a simplification that makes life easier for us. The fact is, we can't prove they actually exist. The photoelectric effect does not require "discrete packets of energy" and could just as easily be explained by light being a manifestation of energy itself, and not just another vessel which carries it. Because what is our universe without electromagnetic radiation? Does it exist without it? Does anything exist without the energy imparted by it? It seems that energy itself does not exist without it.

>being so stupid you contradict yourself in the same sentence
>What are nuclear forces?
>What are excitations of fields?
>whats matter?
>t. brainlet

You're just creating problems that would not exist had you bothered to learn the fucking science. What do you even mean by
>what is our universe without electromagnetic radiation
It's like asking "what's matter without atoms ?"

8.5/10 nice bait made me angry