>show partial work
>check stackexchange.com and wolframalpha.com

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absement
imgur.com/a/wt0vA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

hopefully fast and easy question, google is being shit

how do you find fixed points for higher order ODEs? do you have to convert to a system of 1st order and mess about with jacobians? or is there another way

If you mean a way to have a qualitative analysis of a n order autonomous ODE, yes you need to transform it to an autonomous system and then take the derivative of your field F(X) and put it as the jacobian matrix. Then you apply what you know about linear planar systems.

Suppose that you have that [math]x^3 + y^3[/math] is a power of 2. I am almost sure that that implies that both x and y are a power of two.

More than that, it implies that x and y are the exact same power of two.

Any idea of how to rigorously prove this?

for powers x^3+y^3=2^n with n=4,5,7,11,13 and 17

The correct answer is 1.5% right?

.35 ^ 4 = .015, 1.5%?

what is the antiderivative of position with respect to time

What the fuck? This is an unsolved conjecture? This shit came up in a number theory homework. The fucking fuck.

The problem is this:
Find all the pairs of positive integers (x,y) such that if [math] \alpha , \beta [/math] are coprime and positive divisors of the number [math] x^3 + y^3 [/math] then [math] \alpha + \beta - 1 [/math] is also a positive divisor of [math] x^3 + y^3 [/math]

I proved that the pairs asked for are equivalent to the pairs (x,y) such that [math] x^3 + y^3 [/math] is a prime power.

Then I proved that it can be narrowed down to just pairs (x,y) such that [math] x^3 + y^3 [/math] is a power of 2.

And now I am trying to characterize those integers (x,y) and the natural characterization is that x=y= some power of 2.

But I guess now I'm fucked.

What's the fastest way to review math? I was doing some kind of integral calculus in college, but I haven't had to manually do any math in like 8 years so I've just about forgotten everything I used to know.

take a test

fa/tg/uy here

Having never taken statistics I assume this is a stupid question, but how do I calculate how often one function is going to end up greater than another function?

For context, I've got two opposing rolls in a game that I'm playing in, and I want to know if I should even bother with some checks and what have you.

The problem is they're not really "functions" so much as just fucking dice. So they have a probability curve but I'm not really aware of any function that would give me that curve. Which is probably where the stupid part comes in.

So really I could use any help at all but my searching has left me more confused than anything on how to do a probability curve based on results and then presumably use calculus to compare them?

Hello,
Any ideas for b,c, and d?

Hey Veeky Forums I have a College Mathematics examination in the morning at 9:15 AM
On the examination there is 4 questions each a different topic. I know the first 3 but the fourth not too well.
My question is should I stay up and study for the fourth question?
For context its currently 1:30 AM at the moment.
Or should I get some sleep?
Also of note is that I will pass this Module either way.

What's the fastest method for checking if something is a prime number?

I think I found a fast way (albeit overly complicated) that doesn't rely on super computers checking every possible solution, but it requires a huge integral I have no idea how to do. I'm wondering if it's worth it to try to figure it out.

For b just take an arbitrary number r and asign a polinomial whose only non 0 coefficient is r. For c use rank nullity theorem, because it's surjective Dim(Im)=1 ans the dimension of the polinomial of powers at most n is n+1 so the dimension of the kernel must be n. For d, just prove then, that all those polinomials are in fact in the kernel by direct substitution and then show its linearly independent.

Thanks mate that helped a lot

Can someone explain why the second way of solving the problem is wrong? 1/2 is the correct answer and I don't understand why I'm getting 1/4 the second way.

if the integral of f(x)dx is g(x), how would I go about finding the integral of f(h(x))dx?

What's the square root of 1/4 m8? Your taking the limit of the product of the original with itself which obviously changes the limit to square of the the limit i.e. 1/2^2

Is an into to discrete math hard
is an intro to algorithms hard

is taking both at the same time along with two other classes hard?

Want to get Computer Science stuff out of the way and getting into the algorithms class is fucky so if im able to do it early as i can (next semester) itd relieve a lot

sorry, not really a homework question but you know

You need f(h(x)) h'(x) dx instead

why are the limits T1 and -T1 when they explicitly say that the limits are T/2 and -T/2? It looks like T is greater than the length of T1. mildly confused.

Is blue light exposure something I should genuinely be concerned about?

So there's no way to do f(h(x))dx?
I thought there'd at least be a complicated way

You can modelize it by a probability tree.

Okay. Any advice on how to do that?
I'm willing to do the groundwork, I just don't have any idea how. I'm a grognard playing dice games, not an actual STEM guy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absement

You can modelize it by two random outputs : the attack value and the defense value. For each "leaf" of the tree, you have a probability (pic related). For example, the probability of the "leaf" (attack=20 ; defense=14) is 11.57 % × 9.72 % which is approximately 1.12 %.

Since each "leaf" is exclusive, you can just add the probabilties. For example p(attack

I know this is baby math, but can I get a hand here?

You have
[eqn]\frac{7}{x-1}+\frac{8}{x+1}-\frac{4}{x^2-1}=0[/eqn]
Put in on a common denominator and then find the roots of the numerator

Thanks user. This make sense.

What kind of skills and tools would you need to be able to effectively analyze and find meaningful patterns in market data for commodities futures? Would working through a regular Statistics textbook be enough or anything else?

Full disclosure, user, I have no idea what a probability table is. I'll look it up, but is it more complicated than what it sounds like?

Any botanists here?
I've never seen these before, they're sprouting all over my grandmas "garden"

How do I get a Newton polynomial from this?

If I have a function that oscillates between 0 and 1 (not periodically), how can I take the integral of it?

monte carlo

Is there no way to find the indefinite integral?

Sorry I didn't specify that I wanted the indefinite integral at first

Well, post the function you twat.

What is the best way to ask professors for an opportunity to do undergraduate research with them during the school year? Email? In person? And should I only try to ask professors that I have classes with our any professors in the department?

Please help I dont want to make a thread for this

Probably Fermat test
There are some tests which can determine primality for certain forms of numbers, ie potential Mersenne primes

what is the equation of this line:

(0,100) (.75,200) (1.5,400) (3,800) (4.5,1600)

in person is probably best

i had good luck asking professors i didn't even know by email though (for a summer research project)

If you have a class with them, just go to their office hours and ask.

If you don't, email them and say you are interested in their research and ask if you can come to their office and discuss research opportunities.

That's not linear.

>antiderivative
jesus, man, they're called integrals

brainlet

say i have a bus in verilog like so

output reg [11:0] bus

and i want to assign 4 bits each to 3 parts. would this be the correct syntax?

bus[11:8] = 4'b0000;

etc
bus[7:4] = 4'b0000;

how would I find it then?

Look up polynomial interpolation.

In what space is the riemann zeta function with -1 as an input defined? What is the value in that space and why isn't it the same in Hilbert space?

Describe the intricacies behind why this is a weird as fuck thing.

>In what space is the riemann zeta function with -1 as an input defined?
in the complex plane... you just use analytic continuation

No. You need the sum of the probabilities of getting 4 fakes, 5 fakes, 6 fakes, ... 11 fakes
It's easier to calculate 1 - the sum of the probabilities to get 3 fakes, 2 fakes, 1 fake, 0 fakes

And your formula to get exactly 4 fakes is wrong

Repost from prev thread in case you are still lurking

Your vector has 3 variables, and you have 3 equations:

0 v_11 + 2 v_12 + 2 v_13 = 0
2 v_11 + 1 v_12 + 0 v_13 = 0
2 v_11 + 0 v_12 + -1 v_13 = 0

Solve them and you get an eigen vector

a friend of mine recently got cancer. People around him say that his exposure to the sun made the cancer worse. Are they right?
When you have cancer, does the sun make it worse?
Personally I think that logically it shouldn't, but my friends keep insisting that the trip he took to turkey made it worse.

oh by the way it's lung cancer

It really is not.

Alright, I've looked it up, thanks, user. I don't suppose there's an easier way than brute forcing it?

There is probably a clever way to do it if you know the formula that gave you the curves (), but
with just the raw datas I don't think there is an easier way.
In that case, bruteforcing it is not very difficult since there is only a handful of possibilities (225) and you won't need to compute most of them.

Alright this is what I came up with after several formula errors.
Looks like if I'm rolling against that in that specific circumstance I'm pretty well screwed.

Kek, the odds don't look good for you.
A good way to check that your model is correct is to sum all the odds in your table. You should get 100 %.

whats 1+1? Asking for a friend.

They do! I'm fucked!
Time to go do some more quests before we fight this guy, holy shit.

Unless it's skin cancer sun isn't really a factor, though the trip to Turkey may well be

>a friend of mine recently got cancer.
is he scared of the cancer?

We can only guess.

What book is this? Lathi? Also the limits might be just a typo. It should be T1/2 and -T2/2. Maybe they just wrote the general formula?

Could someone give me a quick rundown on ampholytes/polyprotic acids and how to work them? Does a standard ICE table using both the Ka and Kb and then subtracting the smaller value (either [H+] or [OH-]) from the larger and then finding pH work?

>wolframalpha uses the common core number-line approach
Common-core haters BTFO

HELP! I have a final in 30 mins and this is the only thing i didnt understand from the course

>Then I proved that it can be narrowed down to just pairs (x,y) such that x3+y3 is a power of 2.

I don't know much about number theory but it seems that if this is true then [math] \alpha[/math] and [math]\beta [/math] must both be even an therefore [math] \alpha+ \beta -1[/math] is odd and can't be a divisor of the power of 2.

If alpha and beta are coprime, they only one of them can be even, otherwise both would have the same factor 2.

Is there a book on abstract algebra that really holds me hand. I'm having a hard time building intuition.

Yeah, I forgot what coprime meant, but again that's impossible because if they both divide 2^n ,or any prime number p^n for that matter, they both must share a factor of p, right?

Visual group theory by nick whatever is fantastic if you are really having trouble understanding what is going on. The color coded matrixes really really helped me to understand what was really going on. Pic related.

Also the Pinter book is a classic, really readable. I read it in like a week.

I'm somewhat okay with group theory but having some difficulties with rings and fields

I'll check out Pinter book. Thanks

Are there a lot of jobs in population biology? It's something I have been wanting to study and was wondering if I could find a job in it.

I'm currently using hungerford.
It seems rather easily digestivable and alot of the sections are only 1-3 pages.

How do I stop playing Stardew Valley and write my goddamn lab report?

WHY IS MATHEMATICA SO FUCKING SHIT

WHY IS THIS ALLOWED

FOR FUCK'S SAKE HOW DO I PLOT A CONTINUOUS FUNCTION WITH DECIBEL Y SCALE

PIC RELATED; IF I HAVE A PLOT LIKE ON THE LEFT HOW DO I TURN IT INTO A PLOT LIKE ON THE RIGHT

can second hungerford

That would mean that the pairs you are supposed to find are (x,y) for all integers x,y

I'm trying to understand these problems but I'm just not.

Question: imgur.com/a/wt0vA

I'm trying to get down the step by step process but I'm currently at a loss in direction. Can someone give me a bit of guidance? Any bit helps.

Set x = y and restrict t?

i've heard good things about Algebra by M. Artin, although I haven't read it myself

If you want to know verify your answers, enter the following into wolframalpha:

2- pi cos t = 2t - pi sin t, -pi

Anyone know any place that has comprehensive practice tests (with solutions) for junior/senior level math courses?

I should have mentioned. These are parametric equations. They're not 2 different functions entirely.

What is it called when three(or more) things are equal to each other, as opposed to the usual case where two things are equal?

equivalent modulo 3

What is your top advice on approaching math classes in college ?

Go to the lectures and stay focused during them

lectures are for gaylords. just skip class and go to youtube and watch patrickjmt

start homework as soon as you get it, just spend ~5 minutes on each problem getting used to the questions and figuring out where the obvious difficulties are

I can't fucking solve this shit. No one in any medium online has been able to help me. No response from Reddit. Inaccurate responses on here. No one on Discord. What the fuck is going on.

don't be retarded

It's all about doing practice problems.