How dangerous is flying, really?

How dangerous is flying, really?

Other urls found in this thread:

oem.bmj.com/content/60/11/805
twitter.com/AnonBabble

just about as dangerous as posting this same fucking thread again and again and again

It's very dangerous. Very, very dangerous.
I'm glad Melon Husk is developing a vacuum-tube to be transported in, I'd feel so much safer knowing that I'm a fart in space.

The added cosmic radiation adds up to over 24 times the typical rate. Cancer rates among airline staff is significantly increased.

Not very. I managed to land one today without killing myself or anyone else so I'll chalk that flight up as a success

We know that CT scans, which give gigantic doses of radiation, are typically not harmful. The only way the doses from flights can be dangerous is chronic UV causing melanoma, which is exactly what happens to some pilots, and possibly breast cancer in attendants. This is after years and years of almost daily exposure. The same thing happens with dental hygienists and thyroid cancer.

>We know

No, we don't. We are pretty sure that doses under about the 10 mSv, equivalent dose range are not going to cause cancer, but even that we aren't 100% on. Basically we are pretty sure that a single CT won't do anything to you if you're an adult. That's all. Frequent flyers absolutely have increased risk of melanoma and some radiosensitive cancers like thyroid and breast.

That's actually pretty dangerous

flying is literally the safest form of traveling.

>not understanding how radiation works.
The only reason we say it isnt harmful is because we dont have a lifespan long enough to see significant effects from it. Flight attendents and dentists dont have statistically significant higher rates of death by cancer but they both have faaaar higher rates of suicide/alcoholism/murder.
Most studies that say flight attendents have higher risk rates for cancer dont account for the fact the flight attendents and pilots spend a larger portion of their time in direct sunlight than the average person due to them traveling to different locations.
t.PHD nuclear engineering.

It's not dangerous at all. You mostly just need to avoid ground and it's big and easy to see.

Flying is completely safe. It's falling and crashing that's dangerous.

>flying is literally the safest form of traveling.
Heard this meme a 100 times but isn't that only when measured in deaths per distance traveled? Seems kinda like cheating.

What else would you measure it in?
time spent traveling per death?
Amount of energy spent traveling per death?
its the safest in really any way you can measure it. This is due to the incredibly high training and engineering that goes into planes and their crews. This combined with the fact that there really isnt reckless flying like there is with all other forms of travel because flying is so regulated and restrictive on what can be done.

Most vehicles are dangerous to operate. Some vehicles do malfunction, but modern planes are just as sound as modern cars. The difference is who is operating them. It's relatively easy to obtain a bus drivers license. It's hard to obtain the proper license to fly a commercial jet.

Assuming both cars and planes are engineered to operate successfully, the risk of travelling by either method is directly proportional to the person operating them.

>isn't that only when measured in deaths per distance traveled?

Which makes sense. If you are trying to go somewhere, which is the purpose of transportation, and you don't travel distance X by plane, then you travel that distance by other means. To decide how safe a given method of traveling from point A to point B, you compare the chance of death/injury for going that distance by one means with going that same distance by another.

You don't know the stochastic effects of the ionizing radiation in frequent Flyers so you can't actually say that it's safer than driving

Frequent flyers are in the air less than pilots and stewardesses and there really isnt any studies to back up the notion that the low levels of radiation cause them to have increased stochastic or nonstochastic effects. Maybe itd be noticable if the human lifespan was 500 years, but for now you're only speaking in conjecture.

plus
>what are car crashes?
its pretty fucking easy to see that driving is the least safe form of traveling moron.

Does flying at night lower the dose of radiation or is the cosmic radiation from the sun negligible?

Shutup faggot!!!!!!

pls calm down

It's certain death. You person at your destination is just a copy of you while you and your soul are killed the moment the plane takes off.

it absolutly lowers it. Radiation from outside our solar system is constantly there because what happens is protons/alphas from large sources (stars being created/dieing) come hit the outer edges of our atmosphere and interact with Ozone to create exponentially more particles but of less energy. Its like a constant rain of radiation coming down on us and when you go up in the atmosphere the particles havnt lost as much energy as they do on the ground.
That being said, the actual damage done by these particles is EXTREMELY small when compaired to the ionizing gamma radiation from the sun during the day. Comic radiation from outside our solar system is a much much smaller factor than that from the sun.

are there vaccines for fear of flying?

alcohol

Statistically, pilots are more likely to have female children.

>Significantly increased

No: oem.bmj.com/content/60/11/805

You receive more yearly radiation by smoking.

This is wrong. Cosmic radiation is the same night or day.

What about second hand smoke?

Go to bed nigga, he said that in the second fucking sentence.

His first sentence is what I was replying to so fuck you, you don't even know what I was doing.

His first sentence says Sun's radiation is lower at night, not cosmic radiation.
Are you high?

>Suns radiation
What the fuck are you talking about? UV rays? You're just a moron. Also stop saying "he" "his" as if it isn't you dumb fuck

Fuck summer

>What the fuck are you talking about? UV rays?
Hello, dipshit, that yellow ball in the sky emits every single type of electromagnetic radiation we know of, and we receive considerably larger amounts of all of them from it, than from entire observable universe combined.
So I would like to know what the fuck are YOU getting at here.

You're just wrong. We have the same doses at night or day you twat.

lol moron read my fucking post before you try and call me out. Cosmic radiation means everything included in cosmic rays. Most people usually use the term to mean "radiation from space but not the sun" but technically is means all cosmic rays which the sun also produces. Please kys if you cant even take a second to google it
t. PHD nuclear enginner

>I am a PHD in all caps like that yeah

that's like my 5 year old newphew saying he's an adolt now

also im the poster you were trying to call out. im not the other guy dipshit
>inb4 mobile poster

Great post, thanks.
Alcohol is shit for flying my dude

I found that tamazepam wasn't strong enough for when I fly. Going to up the ante by using valium.

>hurr durr ur dumb
>"adolt"
Nice bait

>reaction images
>being wrong about elementary EM

Yeah you're definitely a "PHD nuclear engineer" lol

since you're also retarded, the point is "PHD" in all caps is as ridiculous as "adolt" because they're both badly written

>samefagging this hard over the capitalization of an "h"
nice dude. you have no idea what you're talking about so you resort to the argument equivalent of REEEEEEEE. Prove me wrong.
The sun produces cosmic rays you cunt. We only experience these cosmic rays during the day. Cosmic rays from other sources than our sun ar constant.
That simplified enough of a statement for your pea sized brain to understand?

>calling someone else out on EM
>not even looking up what you're talking abiut
Whoa man. At least wikipedia what you're arguing first....

I don't care about your internet penis measuring

I just saw some retard making a tl;dr post and saying
>I'm a PHD whatever engineer
and had to tell you to fucking off yourself. clearly lying, clearly a fucking retard, probably wrong at whatever argument you're having

>Saying PHD instead of PhD
>REEEEEEEEEEEE
Sure man. Belive what you want.

literally no one who had a PhD would write it as PHD except if he was writing in all caps and slipped

your damage control is fucking pathetic and your attitude is worse

honestly you need to be 18+ to post in this board. it's not to protect you, it's to protect us from you

alternatively off yourself already and stop being a nuisance for good

God you are all brainlets
t.PhD of meme studies from Veeky Forums university
PS: all you faggots are going to get cancer from your tv

If the accidental writing of PhD as PHD really angers you so much then you're the childish one. It honestly does not matter other than for another useless reason for people like you to throw a hissy fit over.
How is it damage control to make fun of you getting pissy over the accidental slip in grammar? Should i discredit everything you say because you don't capitalize correctly nor use correct scentence structure?

>accidental
>hurr i'll make fun of your grammar
I don't give a shit about your grammar
it wasn't a slip, you're clearly lying. people notice. I want you to know that people see through your lies.

You're talking to at least 2 people right now underage.

I'm literally posting on mobile so i couldn't care less about grammar and spelling. It simply does not matter in a fucking random Veeky Forums post.
Please actually read my post before you try and make an argument. I am not the one asserting grammar and spelling matter, you are. Both posts meanings stay the same even with proper capitalization.
I graduated from Michigan 3 years ago. I'd go dig out my degree from some box in storage but i'm done posting to argue with pedantic morons like you.
>i have no argument so i resort to bait posts.
Feel free to look up the multiple studies done by CERN on this subject. They have measurments at numerous altitudes, pressures, and day/night times.CERN came to the conclusion that you're wrong and that during day at high altitude its ~2.5% more and at low altitude during day its ~3.5% less.

>altitude

what are you talking about...? Nobody has said anything about altitudes you fucking underage degenerate faggot

Yes he did cunt. Read the main post. It's literally about flying.
Now where do planes fly? do they fly on the ground? or do they fly in the air? hmmmmmm. If you don't know anything about what you're shitposting about, why shitpost about it????

>During the day

And you were arguing that at night it is less when it isn't because you're a not "phd of nuclear engineering" having liar. Who the fuck said anything about altitude

The original post says that is lower at night but that is not true at all. We know for a fucking fact and we've known forever that the Sun has a negligible impact on the cosmic radiation you get when flying

You don't have a PhD in nuclear engineering. you're an underage faggot debating retarded bullshit wasting people's time kill yourself.

What are you even reading moron? I literally just stated the face from fucking CERN tht its ~2.5% more cosmic radiation during the day. Do you understand that statement? That means that cosmic radiation is ~2.5% LESS DURING THE NIGHT. Literally the argument. Maybe use your brain and figure these things out. He asked about planes. Planes fly at high altitude. Thats where altitude comes from dipship. The world would be better if you off'd yourself.
Maybe read the op dipship? he asked if it lowered OVRRALL RADIATION DOSE. That includes cosmic rays AND others, which flying at night decreases both. This isnt an opinion.Feel free to get the stats from CERN. I stated that it is less but slightly less. Thats a fact. Its a fact that you are wrong.

>who the fuck said anything about altitude.
WHAT ARE PLANES

It has a tiny effect but it is measurable. It's totally not enough of a reason to try and fly at night but it's factually there.

But nobody cares because it's not significant so the answer is no.

>does flying at night decrease radiation
>well it does but it isnt very large...
>hurr durr since its so small its a no!
Not how facts work moron

So... is it possible to shield at least the pilot cabin against solar radiation?

It is though. Op doesn't care,if it's insignificant

im guessing you mean cosmic radiation since thats the main source up high as the sun doesnt give off too many high energy photons. most of it is shielded off already from the hull of the plane but adding more shielding simply to block cosmic radiation that is negligable on your chances of developing cancer, is not efficient and redundant.
Well im glad that i said that then. doesnt make the statement wrong.

Don`t fly with any pilot that is either a woman, mentally ill, muslim or is a total fuck up.
Don`t fly with cheap or third world type airliner.
Don`t fly on anything not made in America or England/Europe.
Then it is safe.

>Don`t fly on anything not made in America or England/Europe.
>literally entire American intercity fleet was made in fucking Brasil
>planes aren't dropping like flies
I guess I can conclude you're full of shit

Brazil is in America you cuck.