FORTRAN is the best for numerical methods. Prove me wrong

>Fortran 90
>not Fortran 2008

>end
>uppercases

ugly as fuck

>prove me wrong
C++ exists.

I've been thinking about getting into Fortran to use it for some data crunching, data mining, etc type stuff because it seems to be used for performance math stuff like for example BLAS, and I understand that recent versions of Fortrain even include modern features. But I'm still kinda skeptical.

>C++
The Frankenstein monster of programming language.

It's also deprecated, the only domain were there is no real alternative yet is vidya game engines.

>advocates fortran
>calls c++ deprecated
ok

I'm not OP but FORTAN is still actively used for scientific computing in places where performance is of utmost performance, also on supercomputers.

>I'm not OP but FORTAN is still actively used for scientific computing in places where performance is of utmost performance, also on supercomputers.
You mean just like C++?

and operating systems, web browsers, websites...

>operating systems
C
>web browsers
Rust
>websites
Are you retarded?

For Every C++ problem domain there already exists a viable alternative. except vidya (for the moment).

C++ is not an alternative for FORTRAN. under normal circumstances it has a comparable performance with FORTRAN(though it has no pointer aliasing so in some cases it can be optimized better).
But unlike C++ it tries not do do everything but sticks to a certain domain, so it has better support for the thing it tries to accomplish.
C++ was my first language and it took me a while before I even tried something else because I thought it was the holy grail of languages. In retrospect C++ is a monster, a powerful monster, but still a monster.

>uses fortran on a windows system

>C
Which is (almost) a subset of C++. There are several low-level projects which use C++ in a "C with namespaces" style. I know it's a crazy thought but you don't have to use the whole feature set of a language in a project!
>Rust
Servo is still experimental.
>Are you retarded?
No, are you?

>>web browsers
>Rust
lol rustfags are so fucking delusional

>The Frankenstein monster of programming language.

Look at me mom, I'm repeating memes I don't understand!

What about Haskell and and R?

I'm pretty sure R has nowhere near as good performance, not sure about Haskell though. but Fortran generates some pretty good performance.

R is decent for general statistics but it's nowhere near FORTRAN on performance.

i..is this a big issue senpai? I just bought an 80 book for like $3, and was kinda excited

if you're gonna talk about R you're gonna have to talk about Julia

R is the lingua franca for statistical computing, but performance-wise (speed )doesn't hold up to the lower level languages