Fall Classes

What is Veeky Forums taking next semester?

I'm taking Unit Operations, Senior Design, Materials, and probably a Renewable Energy course.

Should be a good semester.

nothing. i'm fuckin' graduating in 3 days.

but in all seriousness probably an advanced thermal fluid systems course if i am able to start grad school.

Summer:
Gen Ed Lit class
Calc 2

Fall:
Gen Chem 2
Gen Chem 2 Lab
Calc-based Physics 1
Calc-based Physics 1 Lab
Fundamentals of Higher Math

Linear algebra and diffy q at the same time on an 8 week summer term.

It'll be my M.Sc dissertation.

Abstract Algebra I
Real analysis I
Introduction to Theory of Probability

Also gonna take a game theory and biochem class over summer for fun

Biotechnology and Society, Biotechnology: Biosafety; GMP and Intellectual Property; Bioethics; Bionanotechnology; Metabolic Engineering; Glycobiology; Advanced Experimental Macromolecular X-ray Crystallography; and then probably Epigenetics and Cellular Stress, Cell Death and Senescence, but I'm not sure of those last two yet..

Real Analysis
Topology

Algebra 1 (Graduate)
Quantum 1
General Relativity
Intro Programming for Physics
???

Dubs picks my 5th class:
Stat. Mech., Optics, Topology, or Dynamical Systems

is the joke here that he passed of the gaussian integral stuff as his own?

fuck dubs topology is the best math in existence and definitely the greatest on that list.

Intro Field Theory
Group Theory
Standard Model
General Relativity
Quantum Electrodynamics
Quantum Field Theory (I and II)
Cosmology I

should have more math I guess

cal II

You are taking Intro Field theory, Standard Model, QED, QFT 1, and QFT 2 in one semester?

Either thats BS or you are retarded.

Just graduated with a b.s. in math. Real ANALysis sucked. Currently trying to learn it before grad school.

complex analysis I
real analysis II (undergrad)
combinatorics I
object oriented design

Last semester. Finishing up with required gen eds and a math course I withdrew from two years ago. Can you guess what joke of a STEM major I'm in?

// Intro. Literature
// Intro. Geology
// Basic Psychology
// Biology II
// Linear Algebra

Either you are a machine that doesn't need sleep and it willing to dedicate 95% of the hours in a week to school, or you're full of shit.

Going to be a Sophmore in the fall, majoring in EE

Complex Dynamical Systems, Measure Theory, Number Theory, Markov Chains and Differential Geometry

Summer (as in, now):
Spectroscopy (concentration on Organic molecules)
Linear Algebra
Biochemistry 1

Fall Semster:
Inorganic Chem 1
Analytical Chem 1
Physical Chem: Thermodynamics
Object-oriented programming 1

Research in between it all

Multi-variable calculus
Physics III
Probability
Real Analysis I
Arithmetic Theory of Numbers

Commutative Algebra
Topology
+
Statistics (first stat course)
Numerical analysis
Python programming

I'll be making a decision after that. Continue with pure mathematics, or do something applied and make money.

>Physical Chemistry I
>Biochemistry I
>Cell Biology
>Intro to Ethics
Having not taken a calculus class in two years, I'm thoroughly preparing my asshole for the destruction it's going to face in PChem

Fall:
Data Structures and Algorithms
Database Development
Web Development
Number Theory
Advanced Piano

Technically finished with my Mathematics Major, looking forward to Number Theory though. Its the only major class I haven't taken.

Will be fulfilling a Computer Science minor next year before graduating. That should be nice as I probably will go into that for a career if I decide not to go to graduate school for mathematics.

Piano will be fun.

Hope yall enjoy Topology, I sure did when I took it.

Just finished a graduate level Real Analysis course. It was without a doubt the most difficult course I've taken. Loved it.

idk until like July

>Quantum Mechanics I
>Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics I
>Advanced Laboratory I
>Optics
>Mechanics of Continuum Media

HS Sophomore
Calc III
Number Theory
Abstract Algebra at local uni (Georgetown)
Organic Chem
American Literature

Will a place really not hire you if you do pure math? Isnt that more impressive

I love philosophy, but the department at my school is pretty bad. Should I even bother?

Oh cool

Theory of Groups
Commutative Algebra
Topology
Numerical Analysis
Modal Logic

Get the fuck off Veeky Forums, you underaged prick.

What exactly am I supposed to do for them with pure math?

>hey user could you write a script to do x and y and collect some data to do z
>no, but let me just show you this sick proof of Jordan's lemma I thought of while taking a fat shit and being completely useless for the company
>also, I looked at all the polynomials that appeared in the engineer's work, and checked whether they were reducible over my favourite polynomial fields!

You could do like algebraic number theory and some arithmetic geometry and then go work for the NSA.

English
Algebra
Social Studies
Science
Gym Class
Lunch
Going into 5th grade btw

I'm not from the U.S, and I'd assume they take in the best of the best. Don't think I could compete.

I just assume that if you can figure out pure math you can figure out applied stuff. You'd know better than me though. But my reasoning was just that a lot of the hedge fund guys were originally pure math guys. They have the applied math monkeys do all their dirty work

>Biochem 1
>Adv. Organic Mechanisms
>Molecular Dynamics & Mechanisms
>Exp. Biology Lab
>Intermediate Spanish

Looking forward to all my chem classes, though it'll be a pain to juggle all of that with two research positions and having to learn fucking Spanish in the meantime

Fair enough. Take my above post with a hint of sarcasm, of course.

>But my reasoning was just that a lot of the hedge fund guys were originally pure math guys.

In a sense, that's what I'm doing. My basis will still be pure math, I will just take applied courses here and there so I know what the fuck I'm doing. Might just take actuary exams, desu.

The ability to work with pure math is stronger than the ability to work in many other fields.

You can talk yourself up in interviews and describe, generally, the ways in which you deal with the highest possible levels of abstraction on a daily basis. And say other stuff along those lines.

I'm study pure math took the first exam in January, it was not fun. Based on this and other things I assume being and actuary is not fun or especially rewarding.

However its nice to know that the actuarial path is something I can fall back on if other things dont work out.

>Riemannian Geometry
>Algebraic topology
>Topics in Algebra and Geometry (it's algebraic surfaces with emphasis on elliptic curves this year)
>Real Analysis III
>Master's project

Am I fucked?

Elliptic curves are algebraic curves not algebraic surfaces.

advanced calc 1
numerical analysis 1

Done with Uni this summer

taking a Hematology class in Fall though, need it to apply to CLS programs in 2018

I'm graduating so I'll be fucking unemployed

>tfw fell for the STEM meme

>soil science
>field geology
>earth surface processes and morphology
>geomaterials
>field studies
>seminar in geology
(last 2 are 1 unit classes)

stoke level: maximum

I'm probably going to hate myself next semester

>got a B because I dropped spaghetti and literally froze up during my presentation

Guess we can't hide our autism forever

>Sees that special shade of green, meh
>Glances at address bar, see's BU
What the fuck? Come to CIW and fight me what are you doing right now

easy peasy. i took linear algebra and set theory last summer.

set theory is confusing af

Financial Engineering II
Advanced Statistics
Real Analysis
2nd semester c++ course
2nd Semester Finance course
Heading into fall of junior year

Turbulent flows
Transient pipe flow
CFD
Stochastic processes

Mechanical Properties Materials Lab
Aerospace Structures II
Propulsion
Aerospace Senior Design I
Space Flight Orbital Mechanics
Asian Eats

how do you now know if youre going to grad school yet?

user Idk what uni you're at, but those courses sound a lot like my school....you at TTU?

Faggot When

I meant to say curves, I was thinking of surfaces because next year it's Riemann surfaces

quantum 2
thermo
linear 2
and my thesis research

Don't know yet. Start my PhD and can't sign up for classes until I meet with my temporary advisor.

Yet Riemann Surfaces are also algebraic curves.

Sophomore Year NYU

Honors Algebra I
Honors Analysis I
Partial Differential Equations
Compiler Construction or Honors Programming Languages or a Graphics course.

Unsure on the last one, have to pick 2

>ypg and ypj fighters
What did he mean by this?

Calc 3, Discrete Math, Calc Based Statistics, Programming

well i wouldnt know cos i havent taken the course now have i?

what does physics 3 cover at your uni? it seems to be different at different unis

mods get em

Nope, MTSU

HIgher geometry, vector calc, numerical analysis, Lin Alg, PHY II, strengths of materials, Fund of Env Eng, and some English course

Dynamical systems > topolo-gay

Damn I want to pursue a PhD and have all the qualifications to begin one, but I am also just shit at presentations

Going into fall of junior year of EE taking:

Signals and Systems
Electromagnetic Field Theory
EE Lab 1 (twice a week)
Electronics+Circuits 3
Digital Logic Design
Physics 3 Lab (Need this for physics minor and it was not doable along side physics 3 as I had max credit hours then)

Also doing about 10 hours + of undergrad research per week through fall and spring, probably in some power shit but hopefully I can somehow get into a communications or electromagnetics related one.

>hey guys I'm a HS sophomore taking abstract algebra at a local uni
Well lucky you
Now get out

Business Intelligence I
Marketing Strategy and Consumer Behaviour
Information Project Management
Information Systems Management
Web Marketing and E-Commerce
African studies

>Higher geometry

I don't think that means what you think it means.

Discrete Math
Advanced RUST coding
Algorithms II
Personal Hygiene Colloqium

modern techniques in chemistry
chemical process dynamics and control
transport phenomena 2
some professional development course

Summer:
Discrete Mathematical Structures
Tools of Modern Mathematics (course on R, Octave, MATLAB, Mathematica, and LaTeX)

Fall
Methods of Mathematical Physics
Modern Physics
Optics with Laboratory (Or Nuclear Physics. Haven't decided which. Probably optics though)
Linear Algebra
Intermediate Latin (Caesar, Cicero, a little poetry).
MAYBE: Mathematics course on proof writing. Can't remember the title.

I don't think I can juggle six courses in one semester, though. So next spring I might just jump right into Abstract Algebra and/or Real Analysis as my first introduction to proofs. Though I'll have to squeeze in PDE, Quantumn and AT LEAST one other physics lab for the spring, plus the last language credit.

Any mathfags? Am I going to be really shooting myself in the foot if I have no real experience doing proofs before I take on Abstract or Real? Or do those courses generally teach that process well within their own curriculum?

Dynamical Systems FTW

Dynamical systems.
I go to a small Uni and they only offer Chaos and Dynamical Systems ~ every 2 years. I couldn't take it because of scheduling conflict with a mandatory course for physics major (Chaos only counts as an elective for my mathematics major).

It's a fairly modern adn fascinating field of mathematics with MANY applications. It looks like physics is your focus so applied mathematics courses will be more useful for you. I'm doing physics and maths and just have a boner for Dynamical systems and stochastic analysis and major blue balls since I got locked out of the course this year, and possibly won't be able to get it all before I graduate.

Dynamical systems is the obvious answer

How do american universities structure their academic year? I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere, here it's from march to july and then july to december

Aug - Dec
Jan - late April or early May

Classes are offered between spring and fall in an accelerated summer term, but not between fall and spring.

I see, both hemispheres have vacations in summer (with optional short term). Thanks for clearing it up

rolling for GOAT tier statistical mechanics

Act Sci/Data Analytics here

Statistical Modeling and Data Analysis
Life Insurance Mathematics
Intro to C++ & Java
Data Mgmt for Business Analysis
Organizational Behavior
Marketing Principles

(Last three are required by the business school and will certainly make me want to an hero)

Intro to PDE's
Math Rigor
Vector Calc
Mechanics
Advanced Physics Lab

Should be fun.

Real analysis 2.1, algebra 1 and topology

Dynamical systems, will force you to learn topology anyway.

Intro to ChemE (bs required major class)
Organic Chem 1
Thermo 1
Fluid Mechanics
Linear Algebra

frontloading my fall semester so that I can focus on Organic 2 and Thermo 2 second semester

Honors Analysis in R^n
Intro to CS I
History of European Civilization

This analysis class is gonna anal me for sure. Supposedly 25+ hours of work a week.

Calc 2
Discrete math
Mechanics+ phys lab
Programming 2

>will force you to learn topology anyway
Well I've had a course on Smooth Manifolds. So I already know all the fundamentals. The Topology course would pretty just be for Homotopy and Simplicial Homology.

topology

that leaves you with 15 hours for intro to CS and history of european civ.
assuming you want a normal working weak.

Think you can manage 2 humanities classes in 15 hours a week?

Take both Topology and Dynamical Systems, Graduate algebra can be learned in month from a book like lang's or DF so you really don't need to take it. If you're still dead set on taking Gradaute algebra then take dynamical systems, there are plenty of nice and readable books on algebraic topology like like hatcher, bott and tu, tom dieck, bredon, may, fulton, hell fomenko has some good stuff, a book called homotopical topology, take your pick. I was inclined to recommend Stats mech, but depending on the level it might require more knowledge of quantum than you might have, considering you're taking quantum now.
Why are you taking multiple classes that heavily require knowledge of field theory without already knowing field theory? Also, not learning group theory before taking a course on the standard model? That shit requires at least a basic understanding of group theory. If you wanna get a head start over the summer Zee has a new group theory book aimed at physics students. For field theory and the like landau lifshitz are good, along with padmanabhans books, and maybe Zees gravity book. Misner is also very thorough and assumes you know no differential geometry, a mastery of which is core to working in GR.

Sometimes dynamical systems have kind of weird topological behaviour, and you don't necessarily need to work on a smooth manifold. Also, I second this , since it is really easier to learn topology or algebra from a book in comparison with dynamical systems.

Yes it is easy to learn algebra from a book, I already have. But taking graduate algebra (1 and later 2) will look good when applying to grad school.

Then I would take dynamical systems as it is kind of uncommon, i.e. from my experience people who take algebra usually take (algebraic) topology classes. The latter, just like ring theory, and homological algebra (which courses 1 and 2 will likely cover), requires basically diagram chasing till you drop. DS needs more analytic and set-theoretic topology stuff, so it will give you experience in other proof-flavours.