ITT: Books that fucked you up

ITT: Books that fucked you up

I thought it would be some innocent girly classic.

>Un scholar très seul
>La femme perdue
>Comme c'est existential!
>L'homme á la bibliotheque
>Je résous son système, hon hon hon!
>Le cafè
>L'anomite, l'existentialism!
>Les garcons à la biblio
>Sacrébleu, c'est un homo l'homme!
>Je dois le aider, alors (?!)
>Sacrilège!
>Fin

Literally made me nauseous

>no book has ever made a lasting impact on me

Am I too cynical, or just retarded?

Why do you read then?

>this
I think that words are not ideal for creating emotions, I think that text is the language of ideas and history, rational things.
Music and (moving) pictures are better suited for emotional impact, but do not carry the intellectual properties that the written word holds

Ideas don't make a lasting impact on you?

In the sense that I absorb them and that they become a part of me, yes, but for example I have never longed for an idea.
Yes, it's an impact, but it's a different kind of an impact

I kind of want to deny it, but 1984 and the whole subject of power messed with my mind after i finished it.

Work on your French lad.

What did I get wrong?

ps. I wrote the mistakes just for the joke

Excuse my wording. What I mean is that they never affected me on an emotional level or radically changed the way I think.

Most of the time I just chew on the ideas for a while and then move to something else. Sure, every idea has contributed to who I am, but nothing has 'fucked me up' or 'turned me into a different person'.

>I think that words are not ideal for creating emotions, I think that text is the language of ideas and history, rational things.

>what is poetry
>what is the fucking genesis of the written word itself

pleb fuck

the bleeding, seeping onion testes were rather ripe and that image stayed with me

>poetry

kek'd

There was something about Mishima's "The sailor who fell from grace with the sea" which left this feeling of dread in me that lasted for several days. It was a pretty incredible experience.

Just finished reading it, and reading it again, and reading it a third time, in succession, and it's still fucking me.

Moby dick fucked me up

desu fiesta by hemingway. Kinda realised i was cohn :((((

Hemingway's suicide note fucked me up.

not even kidding, i am not the same and my life is fucked, i fell into an opiate addiction after realizing everything is for self interest anyways so why not just start doing drugs for happiness

but now i feel like my life is worse

I mean George Orwell fucked me the fuck up in 7th grade.

Then slaughterhouse five got me into experimental literature.

That's about it.

Crime and Punishment
Realized I had the same attitude as Raskalnikov

I read Melancholy of Resistance and loved it-- it had been awhile since I had read a book so closely and feverishly that had such nihilistic gallows humor. So I jumped into Satantango right after. It didn't really "fuck me up" but marathoning two books with such a bleak (though slapstick and humorous) view of humanity totally took out my desire to read another, even though they were by far the best books I had read in a long time. I think I started mainlining philosophy and picaresque novels after that to get my head out of the gutter.

Steinbeck makes me cry like a little girl

You just have a naive understanding of self interest. If you were actually interested in your own pleasure, you wouldn't get into addictive substances unless you planned on killing yourself as soon as they got bad. The horizon of pleasure you need to consider is much further away than you thought.

I remember last autumn when I found Tarr, I marathoned all of his films from Autumn Almanac onwards
I watched Autumn Almanac and Damnation in one day, Satantango and Werckmeister Harmonies the next and The Man from London and Turin Horse in the last
It left me rather silent and I was kind of teary-eyed for the next week until I got over it

Infinite Jest, Stoner and The Stranger sparked my existential crisis at age 20.

Nausea and The Trial (and also The Castle) of Franz Kafka were revelations for me in my adolescence

Try 2666

>JEAN
>no
>PAUL
>u&
>SATRE
>&o

What translation of Melancholy of Resistance?

Thanks in advance.

Robinson's monologue at the end of Journey to the End of the Night.

There's only one.

>Sacrébleu, c'est un homo

hearty kek

Test if you have balls and really eager something in your life. If this book doen't evoke your inner creative will, you're nothing.

Forgot pic.

What about it fucked you up?