What the fuck even is Philosophy. Never again

>In senior year
>still need to take a tier 1 gen ed
>ooo philosophy! This will be interesting!
>wrong. fucking wrong
>take a simple thing
>talking in fucking circles
>talk in more fucking circles to shit is just a total mess
>end up spending more time and effort on this piece of fucking shit class than all of my upper level chem major classes since I refuse to let this ruin a 4.0 semester
>turns out its profs first time teaching this course
>equivalent of throwing a person into OCHEMII whose had ZERO chemistry experience

Has anyone else had a similar experience with this shit?All of my other finals are done, grades entered, and I've been in the library for the last 12 hours straight and there is no end in sight

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oVoCKLyt2uw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

tbqh fampai, you need to be able to form good rhetorical arguments as an engineer. they are otherwise known as "proposals". your bottom line is going to be pretty similar to the next guys and if you want your design to fly, you need to sell it.

i'm still shocked when STEM dudes shit on their humanities courses when its actually pretty beneficial in industry.

Bohr, Einstein, Schrödinger, etc. Were all adamant that it was not only useful, but requited. Its an appeal to authority, but why do you think they, the pioneers, could be wrong?

>chembabby shitting on philosophy, a superior major to his own

Depends on teacher desu with PHIL.
Ive taken philosophy classes where I legit think everyone is high, and everyone just talks bs politics the whole class while quoting pop-culture philosophers.
and I've taken philosophy classes where we go into deeper logic/argument structures that are actually extremely eyeopening and beneficial for my other classes.

>I've been in the library for the last 12 hours straight and there is no end in sight
what the fuck is your teacher making you do?

This. I double majored in English and Geology and it astonishes me what my science peers think is acceptable writing. It's obvious that nobody will ever pay attention to their work if they can't understand it.

Now I don't know about how useful it is """in muh industry""" or any other meme, but for me I probably wouldn't be where I currently am (or even alive) if it wasn't for philosophy.

I've been through such a massive existential crisis back in college, I almost killed myself. Then found out about Nietzsche and Schopenhauer, bought a few books and spent all my time reading them. Now I'm okay, I'm still a depressed faggot but I manage to get the work done.

>t. fedora mctrenchcoat

lol STEMniggers can't even compete

>philosophy EE double major master race

DESU I'm in philosophy class all the time and I'll randomly think "this is literally just masturbation for verbally gifted people."

I still like philosophy because it's sort of the undergirding of all ideology and I guess I'm a Veeky Forums autist, but there are lots of times where I'm reading something ridiculously dense and think "what the fuck is the point of this 9 paragraph contention of the minutiae of Gramsci's interpretation of hegemonic superstructure."

also check out philosophy of logic, it's what made me want to double major in EE because my first logic class was basically just circuits with subtext about the functions of gates and shit

mathematical philosophy is pretty cool too, covered a lot about the nature of infinity, also you have to have mega assburgers to be genuinely interested in it and there's no women in those courses just like my EE courses so 10/10

disliking philosophy is probably the most disgusting meme generated by the "ifuckinglovescience" folks, but I feel bad for anyone with a shit philosophy professor because I'm sure it ruins the experience

>Beaten by biology major.

Confirmed for brainlets

I don't know how it is in other countries, but I live in Brazil and 98% of philosophy here is like a worse version of sociology. Like, I don't know, someone wanted to have shitty opinions on all areas of humanities and even hard sciences and sound smart and go for a philosophy degree, Or because they think they are smart but are to lazy/stupid to learn real science.

I really like epistemology, or the pre-socratic, but most of the philosophy here today is more based on Karl Marx and similar.

As I said, I don't know how it is in other countries, but here you can safely treat 99,99% of people with philosophy degrees as retards.

Also, the area of the campus focused on philosophy disciplines literally smells of weed.

Philosophy is completely useless. That's where you went wrong.

>tbqh fampai
Holy autism

It's about having a little pride in your work isn't it? I read my labmate's report once and it was an absolute mess, with default Excel graphs labeled "serie 1" and having like 20 different fonts, as well as just pasting Wikipedia articles for definitions.

More autistic than getting mad at a silly joke someone made?

it goes beyond that. you aren't always going to be speaking to a technical audience. a little prose goes a long way when you are writing for the businessman.

>3 jews being adamant that it is requited to appeal to authority in order to be taken seriously.
golly gee user

Philosophy is prehistoric science in the sense that all forms of logical analysis stem from philosophers. From your post, it was difficult to see if you were bored by it or struggled to comprehend it. In either result, you're a lesser citizen.

Damn str8 user. Post your bae

All you need to say is my design will save you more money with less up front cost. ezpz no rhetoric necessary

It's the history of western thought. That's all. Yes, they're mostly dumb, delusional assholes like your typical modern philosophy student, but it does verse your thinking in terms of the history of ideas which helps in arguments and does the ever-more-necessary job of forcing people to identify and scrutinize the assumptions upon which their ideas and opinions are based.

The foundation of all sciences lies in philosophy, more specifically empiricism.

The real autism comes from misinterpreting meaning
Where'd you get mad from?

Philosophy is the highest IQ major. The fact is that you are a brainlet.

The highest IQ major is physics. Philosophy isn't that behind though.

I understood it but I couldn't write about it very well

I think most engineers can't into philosophy my dad was an engineer and he thinks philosophy is useless but I don't; it's practically a meme between us.

misinterpreting autism indeed

Physics is actually pretty easy if you have the formulas, philosophy is hard.

Spoken like a true ignoramus undegrad.

>all physics is like my highschool class
idiot

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>philosophy is worthless maymay
Enginiggers are the first ones to hang on the day of the rope...

Philosophy is dry, tedious and time consuming. Not hard.

>too stupid to appreciate philosophy

Don't bother calling yourself STEM.

>Schopenhauer

>Physics is actually pretty easy if you have the formulas

>no final goal of striving
There is, we just haven't discovered what it is yet

>What the fuck even is Philosophy.
That's a philosophical question.

But it is. It's so easy a computer could do it.
The point is that finding the formulas is the important part

Were it not for philosophy we wouldn't have science today. But when most people associate philosophy with "dude, this shit is deep lmao *sniffs meth* " then prejudice is justified

Biofaggot here, was in a similar position, but overall I don't regret picking philosophy. I enjoyed researching these different topics and theories and adding stuff to my own philosophy. If you actually dislike thinking about fundamental topics like epistemology, self, morality or existentialism, then you fucked up taking it. However, if getting into a topic is the problem, you can always ask Veeky Forums to help introduce you to it, I got some useful advice from them when I needed it.

The formula's are just a generalization. In physics you're given a complex problem, and you apply many equations with different properties each time in multiple steps to determine how to find the solution.

Just having the biot-svart law or gauss' law isn't going to solve any B/E Field problems for you. You have to understand how they work in various scenarios. If you don't understand the concepts thoroughly you will fall hard.

>computers at bottom of verbal skill and analytical writing

>What the fuck even is Philosophy
it is a mental discipline beyond your capability

Philosophy is for the intellectual. Everybody can learn facts, like physics or math. Philosophy actually demands you to think. It is the good speaker who impress the educated. Not the fact-knowers.
If you learn the art of speech, you can impress everyone who is worth impressing. Whilst as with a degree in math you can not get a managers position in just about any field. Philosophy or psychology will give you that option. Deal with it.

I see you've taken mechanics 1 and have an in depth understanding of modern physics now

>Learn the art of speech to impress others

I thought philosophy preached against impressing others? What happened to letting the truth speak for itself? Are you thinking about poetry?

Philosophy is literally just thinking. Every body does it every day.

To consider it a field of its own is the epitome of jewry and pretentiousness

are you asian?

>whose
Should have taken English instead.

>philosophy
>relevant
>american education

All the pajeets and weiweis dragging down the score

>both scored 153
Confirmed you're a faggot

This. Sophistry is the bane of good philosophy and you will be shat on for it.

Yet, sophistry is all we ever get on TV and radio.

If this video doesn't make your dick rock hard I don't know what will.
youtube.com/watch?v=oVoCKLyt2uw

>What is philosophy
You can roughly translate it as the love of wisdom

That definiton is naive considering that academic philosophy is far different from what was called "philosophy" back in the day.

Impressing others is obviously not the goal of good philosophy.

Philosophy is for pretenders. If you want the best orgasms, go for pure math

Just graduated Computer Engineering. My intro philosophy classes were probably my favorite classes in all of my credit hours taken. Had an amazing teacher, though. I recall writing my final paper and had planned on totally destroying a philosopher for their stupid, confusing philosophy. Ended up half way through the paper agreeing with the philosopher. Changed my life forever.