>Highlights and shortcomings of his prose
Discuss.

>my
>fucking
>diary

desu

whats a good first book to read by him

AILD > TS&TF > LiA > A,A!

there's definitely a learning curve in the first few chapters of whatever Faulkner you read, but once you learn how to approach him it's more than rewarding.
just don't be that guy that goes into TS&TF blind and starts a Faulkner shitposting thread because you thought you were cool enough to go in dry

I really didn't like the sound and the fury. it wasn't hard like people said and the story was shit. how are his other books? it was too negative. the characters were annoying as fuck. the only God character was the nigger that would fuck with the retard. he was funny. I wished that one son killed that stupid daughter before she robbed him. saw that coming a mile away.

good*

As I Lay Dying is definitely the place to start, but don't think that means it's worse; it may very well end up being your favorite.

>tfw bought TSandTF online
>It's going to be my first Faulkner

Did I mess up user? It's his first.novel.

If you're reading for likeable characters and laughs, you've wandered into wrong side of literature.

If you have strong enough will, power through it and then reread it.
It's IMPERATIVE that you reread it.

Faulkner is a fucking hack, you impressionable faggot. Just because your fag English teacher likes him doesn't mean that he's actually good. Fuck off.

Is this bait?

What did you think?

no its easy as fuck retard. see it could have been hard. but old corncob figured we were all retarded and decided to put the parts that might be challenging in italics. so when ever you see them you know somethings up. time must be shifting. what a fucking pussy. such a shit author. take the italics out and the book might have been good. you will be fine. Faulkner is like American high school teir garbage.

He originally wanted the shifts to be different ink colors.

1. the narrator of the first chapter is legitimately retarded
2. his chapter is a fractured narrative, jumping around back and forth through his life with little to no indication as to where you land next beyond whether or not people pick him up and how old his siblings seem to be
3. THERE ARE TWO QUENTINS. one male one female.
4. The second chapter is even harder than the first chapter, oscillating between unreadably enigmatic psychological stream-of-consciousness narrative and some of the coziest scenes in the book that feel like gestures toward profound symbolism but definitely went over my head
5. Third chapter is finally readable but also the worst
6. This chapter fills in much of the ambiguous plot that plagues the first two chapters, so don't feel about not understanding 100% of what's going on until then
7. Chapter 4, the last chapter, isn't narrated by any character and is a good resolution for the book. Fills in much of the plot and has the widest cast of characters, offering more perspective than the rest.
keep all that in mind and you'll be alright.

wow that's even easier. what a fucking retard.

Stop overusing abbreviations you twerp

good going you just ruined it for him.

His short stories are pretty good and varied in style. I liked Barn Burning.

It was my first Faulkner and I enjoyed it but I also read it three times in a row before I did enjoy it.

What about starting with his stories

Has anyone here read A Fable? If so, what did you think of it? I got it for Christmas but haven't dove into it yet as it's sort of on a backlog with some of the other books I was gifted.

It's always people that type like this that shit on literary classics. Not sure why you're even on this board.

fking loved it.
lit af

Why you mad though

WHERE'S MAH HONEH?!