Biology is eas-

>biology is eas-

-y

its more of a "how complex can we make the names sound so people will take our field seriously" *proceeds to store the name in stamp book*

>stamp collecting is hard cuz look theres a LOT of stamps
Lmao

>the structure he studies can be described in a neat, color coded diagram

Oh man, I wish I could also do that in mathematics.

Smart phycisist:
>biology is complex and simple quantitative modelling is often very hard. Instead of making fun of biology I will join a physiological modelling group and contribute with my own experience in modelling.

Low IQ matlab monkey:
>Hahaha those biologists are so dumb man! I bet they don't even know how to solve le Schrödinger equation. Those idiots are surely wasting their time while I'm trying to pass linear algebra which is very complex math ;)

Biology would be 10,000x less complex of a field if they stopped using latin-greek hybrid naming schemes for fucking everything.
We can and do build machines just as absurdly complex as biological systems and you don't see the engineers building that naming shit in latin with improper greek suffixes

that diagram is a massive generalization, you have no clue

>We can and do build machines just as absurdly complex as biological systems
Fucking lol'd hard. Let me guess, CS? I don't think even engineers are this stupid.

>smart biologist
I dont exist

>dumb stamp collector
FUCKING PHYSICISTS AND MATHEMATICIANS IM SCIENTIST TOO REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

lmao you mad

>My mouth is more complex than every computer system, bit of wiring, aerodynamics, weapons design, weight distribution, and armoring that goes into an A10! BECAUSE ITS SMALL ITS REALLY SMALL! AND WE DIDNT DESIGN IT SO ITS WAY MORE COMPLEX!

learning, memorizing, and understanding a phenomena someone else has already put in textbooks is easy regardless of the field. Try discovering something new.

>I bet they don't even know how to solve le Schrödinger equation

No, definitely not. Not even close. They do, however, struggle with factorizing 3rd degree polynomials.

t. TA'd for a class of biologists doing calculus as a math student

But biologists are pretty chill to be around for the most part.

try discovering something new that applies to the real world (ie peoples' actual lives)

thanks for expanding on the point

You literally have no fucking idea.

>ITS SO SMALL AND HARD LOOK AT ALL THE BIG NAMES WITH ALL THE LITTLE VEINS WITH ALL THEIR OWN DIFFERENT NAMES! ITS SMALL AND LATIN AND HARD! WAAAAAAH!
Biology isnt easy but it is artificially more difficult because you faggots literally wanted to sound smart.
That's it. That's the whole reason. Look it up. In the 1700 and 1800's scholars started using latin and greek roots to label shit because they just wanted to sound smart, because english is a peasant language.

Nobody knows every single system perfectly that makes an A10 an A10 and nobody knows every single system perfectly that makes a person work, but learning one system of any part of either is not difficult and you don't get to say biology is extra super duper difficult just because we happen to think of it as a single construct, rather than a series of connected systems to be mastered independently.

>butthurt biologist resorts to you cant know nuffin
You dont know nuffin

Is Veeky Forums retarded?

You do realize that biology is a lot more than anatomy right? And you also know that Greek and Latin were used because it was expected that all educated people regardless of nationality would understand those languages right?

Rich nobles wanting to keep the poor people out of science doesn't reflect on modern Biologists, though.

Biology really shouldn't be seen as stamp collecting. All that awful memorization bullshit is learning the alphabet of living systems before you can begin to solve problems. It's more like a hazing period than the actual study of living systems.

Like, if you wanna know what Translation is, you need to understand what DNA, RNA and Proteins are. Until you recognize the components that get you from genes to gene products, you won't really understand petidyl transfer reactions which require a little bit of knowledge of organic chemistry, which requires a little bit of general chemistry, which itself will use bits of physics.

Lots of the problem-solving in Biology is a combination of Chemistry, Physics, Calculus and Statistics. It's just usually if you go the Bio route you're less strong in these other regions because you want to specialize in living systems and you require fewer of the broad skills.

Biology is simply just another specialization of the rules that govern the world we live in. We're all working hard and should acknowledge how each of our fields are important to improving our existence.

People don't say its easy. That like people who say art history is easy because all you do is memorize paintings and styles. It's tedious. In math at least you problem solve.

Reminder that only /g/ neckbeards hate biology.

>sat in on bio class for shits and giggles
>talking about Hardy-Weinberg equation
>literally (a+b)^2 = a^2+b^2+2ab = 1
>mfw """biologists""" thought this brilliant elegant equation deserved to be named after its """discoverers"""
>mfw the class struggled to grasp the concept
>mfw no face because i tore it off in exasperation

You say in on high school level biology?

Has anyone on Veeky Forums taken a biology course further than introductory biology? Ill of my biology courses besides the introductory classes have been extremely interesting and tested problem solving more than memory. Evolutionary dynamics is awesome and often complicated.

>Biology
>Calculus
I have never once seen calculus used in biology.

>be one of the leading mathematicians of your day
>playing cricket with your geneticist friend
>he introduces you to some problem he's been struggling with
>realize it's just elementary algebra
>biologists decide to name the equation after you
>your name is now forever associated with high school tier mathematics
>mfw

No

Hardy-Weinberg is like a 20 minute topic meant to demonstrate all the ways a population can change when you violate the assumptions of Equilibrium.

Yeah okay some dumb kids don't always get math, but if you think it's actually ABOUT the equation and not the consideration of how things change with nonrandom matings, mutations, bottlenecks and shit then you totally missed the point

And what's the highest level of biology you've looked at? Phylogenetic trees?

How do you envision calculating an inflection point in a population growth curve?

How do you imagine representing continuous models for population growth?

Differential equations for predator-prey dynamics

Try discovering some pussy NERD

This could be ground through and memorized in a relatively short period of time. What point are you trying to make?

Enzyme Kinetics?

You mean Tai's method?

>calculating an inflexión point
Lol, if Biologists weren't faggs, you would know how to calculate them since HS. Everything would be better if you knew how to do math.

You're boring.

That's more of a medicine thing.

Science without math is stamp collection + popsci memes.

Doesn't change the truth of

fpbp

all biology mentioned ITT is first year shit, there's more to it

Sounds right to me

Anyone that knows anything about class theory knows how stupid and roundabout biology's naming conventions are

Just because it's complex doesn't mean it's complex for any good reason

>compsci tard has no reading comprehension

Damn who connected all them tubes to that nigga face

Veeky Forums hates biology because biologists get more pussy due to the f/m ratio.
Proce me wrong: you can't.

>Almost anything that involves exponential population growth
>Calculating surface area
>a load of predator prey relationships require calculus
>calculating rate of tumor growth
There are many others, face it engi, biologists use maths.

>Anyone that knows anything about class theory knows how stupid and roundabout biology's naming conventions are

Picofunjet Pokémi begs to differ

Feels so good to be biochemistry master race.

I learned Hardy weinberg as p+q=1 and
p^2 + 2pq + q^2 = 1

Feels good being a classical intellectual who sees beauty in every traditional field of study. Specialization elitism is for brainlets.

>traditional fields of study
>he doesn't see beauty in memeology
Sigh, looks like we have another narrow-minded brainlet on our hands.

There has always been banter between fields and specialization my dear redditor.

>stamp collection + popsci memes.
look at how you regurgitate the same thing other morons do

you're a sad little boy

>eyy gurl lemme plow ur labia minora

Biology is one of those things that is so hard most intelligent people lack the creativity to pursue it. If you can't imagine things such as networks or eco-evolutionary patterns like succession in situ based on perception and memory alone, then be able to explain it theoretically or empirically, you are a brainlet.

>t. mad bio major

I love how all you theoretical physicists and maths nerds bash biology even though it is the most useful field in all of science and your fields are literally completely useless to anyone.
>"OOHH LOOK AT MY FANCY EQUATION I'M SO SMART BECAUSE I KNOW THE EQUATION AND YOU DON'T!"
>"LET ME USELESS PONDER ABOUT QUANTUM MECHANICS BECAUSE OOOO SO INTERDASTING!"

Meanwhile biologists are busy transplanting lungs and researching how to beat cancer. All funding from shit like theoretical physics and maths should go to biology fields to be put to good use.

Well to be fair Physics is why we have things like AC Power and everyone has a computer phone

Like if they can make some monumental discovery that helps us also do our jobs better, that seems pretty good to me. In return we can let them live longer.

>proce
more like PROCHONE, BIG SUKA

>DUDE TREES LMAO

Physics is good but all of that high concept theoretical bollocks and quantum shit is pointless

I study biomedical sciences but come on this shit is really just memorization.

>yes it's good but I don't know what it's doing now so it must be pointless
you're a retard

As someone who's starting learning actual genetics and bioinformatics, it irks me when people say biology is easy and pretend everything they learned in high school, even about genetics, is how things actually work or is the complete picture of how things work.

>biology is hard because of latin names
Pretty baffling opinion. Not sure how to respond. Most (molecular) biologists don't even know any of these anatomical terms, because they spend all their times dealing with stuff at a cellular/molecular level.
Sounds like you suffer from a severe case of having no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

>intro level biology textbook didn't use calculus
Fixed.

>mfw essay question about catabolic pathways in the liver asks for specific examples

Just write glycolysis. I think nearly every cell on earth has that pathway.

Nah I ended up writing about the pathway that breaks alcohol down. I think glycolysis would probably get called out for not being specific enough to the liver.

This figure is similar to my own work.

Is there much potential for research in crossover between entomology and microbiology?

You can study microbes in insect guts. I watched some video on youtube once where they said something about unique microbes in termites.

Understanding insect gut microbiomes is becoming a very promising synthesis of entomology and microbiology.

>But biologists are pretty chill to be around for the most part.

>be biologist
>everyone thinks I'm making super weed
>everyone else just thinks I can hook them up with weed
>the remaining everyone just thinks I smoke weed all the time

D•U•D•E

>No, definitely not. Not even close. They do, however, struggle with factorizing 3rd degree polynomials.
I've solved many iterations of the schrodinger equation and i struggle with factoring 3rd degree polynomials
>>be biologist
>>everyone thinks I'm making super weed

what type of retards are you hanging around with that think biology is about growing plants

I'm sure there have been previous eras where the science seemed implausible to result in anything yet nevertheless helped us get where we are. We don't know what the limits are; all you can do is explore.

Meanwhile, we have plenty of people doing grounded research too. I think so long as everyone keeps busy on what they find most interesting, and are willing to share their discoveries, we'll probably end up ok.

Yeah soil ecology, nutrient networks, ethology and biosemiotics

Biology is the chadest field
>mfw field trip to the moutains and it had karaoke and beer after the work
Enjoy your boring and useless equations.

A very critical process we know little about.
You would not be able to live without it.

>content to have popsci level knowledge and complete ignorance as to the true nature of a given field

Gluconeogenesis nigga come on

After many failed attempts at other careers due to focusing on potential income rather than true passion, I'm gonna start majoring in bio. Is passion enough, tho?

> We don't know what the limits are; all you can do is explore.

i don't have anything against "basic research" as long as it isn't a >$500m project that produces no results beyond postdocs

this "theoretical physics" meme went waaaaay too far

Biology uses advanced mathematics like Tai's Model. It's much more rigorous than meme shit like Computer Science

Many organisms would be unable to live without it. I suspect guy microbiomes will be one of the avenues by which we develop mechanistic understanding of organism function. That will lead to our ability to generalize across species.

i study chemistry, child

try harder next time

Well it's because of research like that we have bacteria produce the insulin you need you fat fuck

OK

>develop a mechanistic understanding of organism function. That will lead to our ability to generalize across species.

I agree. Do you know about biosemiotics?

>biosemiotics
I'm familiar with the topic but not its associated literature. Probably a very broad literature base given the multitude of ways to communicate at different levels of biological/ecological organization

Pretty much this, the most bio a majority of this board has encountered was on a high school level

Good b8

Shit son, I am a biologist now.

Physics provides the fundamental principles to build off of. Even quantum stuff can become applicable to biology/biochem. Enzyme mechanisms that involve hydrogen tunneling or MD simulations of proteins for example

Using insect specific pathogens as pesticides is a thing

What is biophysics?