What does Veeky Forums think of Edgar Allan Poe?

What does Veeky Forums think of Edgar Allan Poe?

I dispise poetry but he's cool

I was thinking about the Cask of Amontillado recently; and how prophetic it was that I read it in 8th grade; and how it turned out to become a metaphor for my life.

go on, faggot

You got a nice cellar?

idk. it could just be a jewish thing?
i def wouldn't go into it online.
maybe set up a date if u really want 2 know ;p

I love him so much, but I'm extremely biased.

He's so masterful in his writing. He's the best example of the American romantic in a commercial sense, yet still manages to stand the test of time as a passionate and wonderful author.

I have a cellar full of Perrier, Hesse, & Dreaming Tree.

This is one of the worst posts I have ever seen.

leave this place and never return

was he a spook?

I just don't like (most) poetry. I don't find it enjoyable.

He was quite based and he lived a tragic meme live. He was quite Veeky Forums. He would have been a Veeky Forums poster if it had existed back then.
RIP.

He's underrated because the high schools got a hold of him. He invented the police procedural, and was credited by Conan Doyle for inspiring Sherlock Holmes, and also by Dostoevsky for Crime and Punishment. There is a direct line of descent from Poe to Raymond Chandler. He's kind of the Forest Gump of literature, everywhere something big happens he's nearby, figuratively. The macabre is what they teach in the schools, and it's a shame, because he was a talented stylist and psychological manipulator. Rue Morgue is really his signature piece, and the essay about the Imp of the Perverse, which is good an analysis of evil as
English has to offer, and which accurately describes the impulsiveness of suicide a hundred and 80 years before the psychologists bore him out.

What do you mean by psychological "manipulator"?

He had a canny sense of what to withhold. And an imagination deployed with mischief. He once told a newspaper reporter a story about crossing the Atlantic in a hot air balloon. Long story, lots of events and details. Hot air balloons existed, but he'd never been on one, and he made up the story on the spot. The reporter published it as a true adventure tale, and it took weeks to figure out it never happened.

Even in a high school anthol-er like Amontillado, when he describes the cellar as haunted by the spirits of the dead family of the neighbor, its an interesting psychological insight that the narrator's mind is haunted by the same spirits.

Go looking for them, and Poe's insights into mind and behavior, and manipulating a reader by concealment and misdirection are everywhere.

I think I understand you here. Thanks a lot for the elaboration. I'll be sure to keep it in mind when I read Poe in a couple months.

Interesting, ballsy, experimental (even when it fell flat), and it's regrettable he didn't live to really refine his output. He doesn't deserve the petulant fanbase he has.

I've only read a few of his short stories and poems. I really enjoyed The Fall of the House of Usher, but in general I'm a little jaded by the gothic aesthetic so I probably don't appreciate his stuff as much as I should

pity his liver. He speculated, back when virtually no one else did, that there is darkness between the stars on the night sky only because the light from further, more distant stars has not yet reached our planet. I somehow did not expect such a heartwarming thought from him.

No ambitious works.

Mostly a shit author, but he did write a dozen or so really really great things.

tfw you listened to Eminem once.

When I read him in highschool I liked him

I've only read some of his poems and they were cringeworthily bad. Terrible. I'm not American, so I understand his stories are more acclaimed.

me neither mate, never read a single poem that evoked strong emotions in any which way