Fuck this board. 2 years ago it was exclusively Catholics...

Fuck this board. 2 years ago it was exclusively Catholics, Marxists and 2-3 alcoholics who would occasionally show up for actual discourse on literature and philosophy. The board is literally a reddit, r9k, pol shitposting ground now. And when I said it was coming, all the responses were "le reddit boogeyman XD" The front page right now: 2 Sam Hyde posts about his new book (basically House of Leaves for Men's Rights Activists), um "Orson Scott Card is literary and Veeky Forums is pretentious", and a frogposter threatening to kill himself with no mention of a book.
The Golden Age is done.

fuck off, you're the reason Veeky Forums is slow as fuck and full of bullshit.

go contribute to the war and peace thread or the read/expected/got

stop being a faggot and do this

It's the Veeky Forums effect

I started browsing Veeky Forums about 10 years ago. Every board always seems to be in a state of decay, and every few months you'll see posts mourning a new supposed golden era. I can't explain this. It seems at time Veeky Forums really is in a constant state of degradation, so maybe the complaints are right. More likely, things change. You forget the shitposts of the yesteryear.

I still find good discussion on here all the time. If I didn't I wouldn't keep coming back. Just try to contribute. The board is faster these days but still slow enough to keep a thread about a semi-obscure topic bumped long enough to carry out proper discussion. Keep reading, keep posting, try less complaining.

>go read a fucking slab written by some greedy dead faggot who dedicated 50 pages to a description of a cupboard because he got paid per page

OP is right, this board was way better two years ago. Veeky Forums was always a bastion of light against the darkness of /pol/ memes and actually one of the few boards with some good discussion (maybe /mu/ also). Now that Trump won the elections, the total annihilation of Veeky Forums by the alt right is complete. Veeky Forums is dead.

a tad overdramatic

two years ago lit was nothing but DFW memes and pynchon dicksucking and mopey 16 year olds who just read The Stranger and Notes From The Underground who thought they were philosophers

>He can't tell the difference between Dickens and Tolstoy
>he doesn't know that is officially a tolstoyan board

*that Veeky Forums is

This was the board yesterday

This is the age of /pol9k/ and reddit on Veeky Forums and their retarded ideological battle.

Maybe it's time to leave. The new mod is doing a decent job, however.

I feel this too. I have been frequenting Veeky Forums for only a month and a half or so but have seen significant degradation in that time. You can ignore shit on an anonymous board and eventually it goes away.

For those interested here's a number of OP threads made on this date back in 2011

That's the globalization of Veeky Forums. It has become a meme epicentre. Every board has fallen.

Honestly based on looking back I think the board has become a lot more literate in recent years.
There was a lot more "on topic" threads there but most of them are garbage with little reference to any canonical works.

>Being slow is bad
End your life

>a board being slow is bad
Slow boards have higher quality posts than cancer like /v/ and /pol/

I started browsing Veeky Forums in 2013 and the memes were pretty much already in place. Was 2012 the year when Veeky Forums as we know it was born?

Veeky Forums was dying in the scientology era, but /pol/fags kicked it over the edge. Veeky Forums was beyond hope 5 years ago.

Here's 2013

Are you serious? 4 years ago every single thread had to do with a classic or philosophy, mostly the latter, now we have retarded /r9k/ and /pol/ cuckposting from morons who've never picked up a book in their lives.

Did you look at the 2011 screenshot?
A third of it is dumb accessory talk, a third is genre fiction and the last third creative writing shills

W-w-what?

yeah maybe, but whose fault is it that you're still here, still complaining about it? leaving seems best for you.

That might be true in general, but Veeky Forums is truly a low quality board.

who cares?

2 years ago, the Christ posting was unbearable.
I don't remember exactly when the /r/philosophy influx happened, but when the board sped up and became far less patrician is when I got bummed out.

It's Veeky Forums, so there has always been flat out insanity and off-topic silliness, but it was with a group of more educated, more sophisticated people at one time. One had the feeling that most people on the site didn't ever come here, because the didn't read, or thought books were outdated.

It was a nice little tidepool.
Honestly, I think it's got a bit more that way since Veeky Forums, for which I am grateful.

The election pulled some people away to /pol/, but now that its over, I'm back, so everything will start to get better now.

Comfy

Don't forget the Russian Hackers™!

If anything /pol/ is more like old /b/ than any other board.

Yea i hardly come on here now, legit everytime on this board theres blacked memes all over, was 3 yesterday up for hours. Boards been dead for a bit

THESE WOUNDS THEY WILL NOT HEAL

It's more r9k and pol than it is reddit. There's a significant number of actual Trump supporters on here. I'm not talking about people who voted for him reluctantly, but fans of his.

What's wrong with Sam Hyde posts?

hahah that pic, david foster did see himself as axel rose in his later years. he was kind of a celebrity

>these denial replies
reddit has truly taken over

Calm down, it's mostly just redditors or bored kids from other boards, both who are on winter break. There has been a lot of shitposting in the past week or two. Once the new year comes, I think it will go back to normal though.

>muh canon
Stop treating Bloom's myopic opinions as some sort of holy writ

>Bloom's myopic opinions
t. I find John Green to be as good as Shakespeare
Also,
>on a literature board
>denies the canon
kek

>denies the canon
I deny Bloom's particular idea of it, absolutely. The "no discernible talent" thing alone shows some serious gaps in his understanding of contemporary lit.

>everyone I disagree with is a John Green pleb

>contemporary
>literature
PICK ONE, fucking >>>>>>/reddit/>>>>>>

i see three counts of obnoxious faggotry

this desu

Also this user is right. it's just chan culture for boards to go through cycles. if you want the board to improve than contribute.

>it's a newfags pretend Veeky Forums was good thread

The demographic of Veeky Forums changed as its userbase increased.

Over the years it has become more and more normie dominated. It's noticeable, the mods are huge faggots now especially to accommodate them. There's nothing to be done, it's e-globalism at work. Every bastion will fall eventually and Veeky Forums is no exception. I rarely browse it now compared to before, and basically only ever in transit or when stuck at school.

>Marxists
Very, very annoying people. On a literature board too. Will almost invariably start talking politics, but won't admit it. Very fast to bring out le gb2 /pol/, when they're confronted with right wing opinions, even when they started the political discussion.
>Catholics
Annoying too, but far less so than marxists. Tend to be arrogant.
>alcoholics
Depending on their philosophy, might be good.

My dream is for the population of Veeky Forums to become primarily depressive pessimists.
Of course the worst people who we've been seeing way too much of lately are the butthurt redditors and the r9k trolls.

I think we're past the worse meme madness though. It'll get better.

Go back to whatever Reddit-hole you crawled out of you cum-guzzling faggot.

You showed him

>My dream is for the population of Veeky Forums to become primarily depressive pessimists.

Veeky Forums is the most normie board. Not gonna happen.

Either stick with it or go to the other place. I don't know how to make this place any better.

Post more memes

Veeky Forums is beyond repair

I feel like I really needed this somehow. Thank you.

You too.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>tfw I'm one of the people shitting up this board with my low quality shitposts

feels bad 2bh

Those are shitposts. Either report them or ignore the thread. It isn't hard.

See you tomorrow.

You're only truly right about this board slowly becoming reddit. I often see some (((anons))) saying"Reddit is actually not that bad and you should totally check it out xD." There are stormfaggots but they usually retreat to their safe space.

All this site does is blame all of its problems on reddit.

Nobody ever offers a solution. Nobody even suggests a solution. These people won't leave. The very same anonymity that we love protects them from being singled out or ostracized.

It would seem the only options, at least the only ones I can think of, are to either leave or try to add more boards like /vip/

I doubt someone who primarily goes on reddit would be as willing to pay to stay on a site they don't have as much of themselves invested in.

The other option is to leave but where to? And how would one organize such a migration? The anonymity makes that impossible and redditors would just follow in our footsteps.

If you leave, you're joining a new community. Doesn't sound too nice if you are comfy and familiar with this site and the "culture" of it.

Any other ideas guys?

can you point me to threads in the catalog that are 'reddit'?

Not them but anything genre fiction is considered Reddit. Also Veeky Forums's list of favorite books was posted on Reddit which is thought to have brought many Redditors here.

When did /sffg/ start?

I'll admit that I read fantasy and whatever baggage comes with it. I keep my autism on the generals about it.

I'd say just leave and let the redditors fend for themselves. Just arrange a mass/lit/icide campaign if certain people are too attached or something. We could even rec books to read before offing yourself

I think it started around the time the list was posted to Imgur.

>mfw people are claiming reddit are a bigger problem than the constant off-topic /pol/itical shitposting in every thread

can't be arsed finding them but there was a thread a few days ago where people were unironically endorsing richard dawkins work. or maybe it was just a ruse

Well, I hope I'm not too much a bother. I use reading as a form of entertainment as I don't care for movies or tv. As interesting as philosophy is it just seems to go over my head nor did I ever excel in history. My free high school education was wasted on memorizing facts before a test and then forgetting them in exchange for a new set of facts for the next test.

So I suppose most of the Veeky Forums topics just aren't for me

Oh wow. A thread a few days back? Really makes you think about the reddit takeover as I browse through the catalog and see Milo, Lauren Southern, Trump, etc. threads :^)

For the record I don't give a shit about people's tastes and we all enjoy what we like but that's what people mean when they say "Reddit."

i hope the archives never die out

when i finally become super literate and hate the current state of lit i can always look at the archive?

Some people here aren't so autistically insecure about their political views that they wince whenever they see a thread about Donald Trump or something

It's shitting up the board. It's bait to get a shitty politics discussion going where one party shouts 'racist troglodytes' and the other 'numale kike cucks'. Keep that on the politics board.

The problem is that whenever a /pol/ poster shitposts some cunt has to come along and overreact to it, drawing even more unnecessary attention to an already unnecessary post. /pol/ shitposting would be less common if certain people learned to ignore it

Sage and report all shitposts, whether they be some leftist cuck strawmanning a neo-Nazi or vice versa

fuck you, you're a fucking shithead man and if i see you in real life i swear to god i'm gonna wreck you mate

Am I the only one who actually comes here just for the shitposting?

What are some alternative sites?

420ch

t. gook moot

Nobody wants to buy your shitty passes faggot

There aren't any, that's the dilemna

This sounds like a great plan. Except that we won't leave forever, but instead we'll be gone for maybe 6 months. Of course we'll occasionally visit to see what a terrible state Veeky Forums is in without real Veeky Forumsizens but we will only observe & not post.

Nice try Reddit. People who've been here on Veeky Forums for more than a year know that there are in fact a couple of other sites that hold great value in the discussion of literature.

Such as?

Even if you weren't a Redditor or a /pol/ person I couldn't tell you. The state of said boards are well as they are, and I can't risk telling other randoms about it y'know?