Most mindblowing book you have ever read

Top this

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Metametaphysics-New-Essays-Foundations-Ontology/dp/0199546002/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494726393&sr=8-1&keywords=metametaphysics
Veeky
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the one and only pink book

People where you live," the little prince said, "grow five thousand roses in one garden... yet they don't find what they're looking for...

They don't find it," I answered.

And yet what they're looking for could be found in a single rose, or a little water..."

Of course," I answered.

And the little prince added, "But eyes are blind. You have to look with the heart."

this is a book worth revisiting every 5 years or so

Is GEB really as good as people and op say? I'm thinking about getting that or a few books of Wittegensteins

I hate this book. It's logic for plebs.

It is really good.

It is not a hardcore textbook as suggests, but it is still really good.

Vastly vastly overrated, but not bad. I liked the conversations w/ Achilles and the tortoise

I guess I'll get it and see for myself

I cried for a half hour after reading this. Sure it's the precursor to 1984/brave new world, but most importantly it's about an obsessively calculated engineer who loses his way in life. Sad shit.

The single most important book in the history of mankind

It's a fun read but what bugs me is that the author introduces terminology in his development of logic that is not needed. He could have just used terminology that existed prior to his writing.

This

And they say atheist are cringe.

Have you read his book called Metamagical Themas?

I read it at 15 years old. I was never so mathematically and scientifically inspired in my life before reading this book.

I agree with that but that's a problem with science in general.

Are you from 'murica or is this a legitimate bait ?

Nothing he said was wrong.

>what bugs me is that the author introduces terminology in his development of logic that is not needed. He could have just used terminology that existed prior to his writing.
This is a persistent problem with virtually all original philosophical writing. Every philosopher ever is convinced that his theory is so revolutionary that it transcends contemparary language.
At some level this is a problem with mathematics too, where people feel the need to create retardedly niche classes of objects with triple-hyphenated names so they can speak in as much jargon as possible.

But that's not Gilgamesh.

>Being this autistic

Bostrom's simulation trillemma

Wuz kangz

for a second I thought you we're talking about GEB and I was confused af

Sad day when I can't tell bait from religion

>I want things
>How should I get those things
>Tries and quits because of the struggle, pain, failure
>Later realizes that you didnt want those things

Suspicious indeed :^)

I've always hated the defeatist answer that "your goal doesn't exist! just be a loser instead like me who is satisfied with this shit flower I dont like because im a massive cringe loser who 'looks at his heart' (meanwhile Chad VolcanoCock is railing his oneitis girl from all angles, every day!!). When I was in a job interview they asked "yeah can you do build a car" and I was "no I cant build a car, but I can build a car in my heart!"""

if the meta-goal is "happiness" then there is no difference from that perspective between reducing your expectations and increasing your output to acquire those things. They are both two sides of the same rope.

>meta-goal
I think you've been masturbating intellectually for far too long. Here, you might enjoy this.
amazon.com/Metametaphysics-New-Essays-Foundations-Ontology/dp/0199546002/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494726393&sr=8-1&keywords=metametaphysics

go fuck yourself you fuckin cuck

This book right here... is amazing. This has nothing to do with aliens, scientology etc. and everything to do with becoming a better human and getting better at everything you do. It will literally turbo-charge your brain and get you to accomplish more.

Every scientologist i've ever heard speak just repeats how great it is and doesn't describe any methods or ideas. I hate to tell you user, but you've got to read more than one book in your life. There's lots of better ideas.

OK let's be serious now

YESSSS BB TIPS ME

GEB is for pretentious idiots. The subtext of Hofstadter's entire literary career is basically, "My father is smart, so everything I say must be smart too."

Also for pretentious idiots. Algebraic number theory is neither algebra nor number theory, it is entirely hand-waving. Don't you love it every time you hear a someone talking about "computing" the homology groups of this or that? These people couldn't "compute" anything by hand unless you spoonfed the instructions to them. Anything with "Theory" attached to it is just Humanities creep disguised as mathematics, so that way all the high-verbal scoring/low visual-spatial and numerical people can feel like they're doing "real" math.

One of the most overrated books of all time

>Top this
ez

>meanwhile Chad VolcanoCock is railing his oneitis girl from all angles, every day
but even this is meaningless

we're all prisoners on this earth, locked into our own desires, dragged forward completely blind
and there's no other choice

Where do I get this?

True, I thought it would rustle some jimmies if I posted it

Most people recommending GEB are gullible haskellfags which makes me cautious. Could you pin down exactly what makes GEB mindblowing?

Can someone recommend me some books with important questions to ask that I may have not considered? Nothing gay like a book about self-referential sentences, but something that actually matters.
>inb4 someone responds with something that appears deep but was actually pretty apparent, then doesn't answer the question.

The holy bible

This is the what if we all should be concerned with. Even if the book ultimately fails, here are damn good questions.

You should look at yourself in the mirror, you shouldn't have this strong of a reaction to a book.

An intro philosophy book like the Great Conversation
An into logic book: Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics#Introductory_Logic

Kant

Good stuff for mathy and philosophy people

Forgot pic

String theory volume 2 by Polchinski

I want to live in a world where this book, Creature from Jekyll Island by G. Edward Griffin, Propaganda by Edward Barnays, The Law by Frédéric Bastiat and The Anatomy of the State by Murray N. Rothbard are required reading before a person is given the right to vote.

Manufacturing Consent by Noam Chomsky

It's the other way around.
The Little Prince never wanted a field of roses. It's the humans that wanted happiness and couldn't find it in a field of roses, while the Little Prince had found it in a single one. By tending and caring for it, he had put a part of himself into that rose, making it special. When he comes to Earth, he sees entire fields of roses but he cares not for them because they are not the rose he has tended to his entire life. They are not special.

Way to miss the point of an elementary school difficulty level book.

Pretty much any of Noam Chomsky's works are sufficient.

When I was ten or so I had this book on tape and would listen to it looped every night at bedtime

Plebs bow down

What does girugamesh have to do with that?

Idiot, this is supposed to be the smart board.

Are you guys baiting?

Noam Chomsky and his loony daughter are cancer that are pushed upon youth in university.

You have to be baiting, that or you're a loony bin liberal just like the Chomskys.

In my experience anyone who makes a claim of the following form:

>Anything(one) that is(does) X......is Y"(i)

Has turned out to be a complete idiot. Whether failing out of higher level math, or just being completely inept at life, only brainlets make those kinds of claims.

To disprove you, I have used many advanced analysis and differential geometry books with the word "theory" in their title.

Anyway just wanted to let everyone else know that when you encounter people who spout (i), you can rest assured they are most likely brainlets.

>Algebraic number theory is neither algebra nor number theory, it is entirely hand-waving
I'm pretty sure you're confusing it with algebraic topology, which does in fact have a lot of handwaving to it, because ANT is definitely rigorous and extremely hard

Fang Noumena

>algebraic topology
>handwaving
Modern math too abstract for you brainlets?

>In my experience anyone who makes a claim of the following form: Anything that does X is Y, has turned out to be a complete idiot.

How appropriate.

No, I meant NUMBER THEORY, not that you can call it that these days. Have you ever actually tried reading an "algebraic """number theory"""" book? It's god awful, filled with groups, sets, and diagrams, despite not even being algebraic topology which as we all know makes full use of groups and "functors" and no one should be surprised by it. But number theory? Fuck that. It's not number theory anymore.

Pic related, some "Algebraic "Number Theory""

appropriate

Tried reading it, he writes like a middle schooler, breaks the cardinal rule of SHOW DON'T TELL on every page, you can tell he has a poor understanding of the geometry of the concepts he is trying to illustrate.

Really not a good sci-fi writer. Stick to the classics, heinlein, asimov.

>muh libshits

Stop being brainwashed for a minute and separate yourself from contemporary politics then read his work

>I'm a brainlet who doesn't understand, and because of this it infuriates my little mind and hence I'll resort to childish attacks.

FTFY

His "technique" as a writer really isn't that good but honestly I just don't care. He writes actual science fiction. Books from Asimov for example are great stories but Greg Egan delivers something completely differently. It's not technology fiction or science fantasy but science fiction. He has an idea about how things could work on the fringe of our knowledge and the whole story and setting of the book are simply there to create an environment where this would be noticed and take effect.

Tell me about Chomsky.
I first heard of him in the context of language acquisition and his ideas on that topic sounded like absolute bullshit to me (language requires little outside input to be learned and the grammatical structure is.
Is he mainly praised for his work in mathematics/information theory and this kind of stuff or actually for his linguistic work?
For some reason I want to fucking hate him as a Linguist but I objectively don't know shit about it so someone tell me if I can peacefully sleep with that mindset.

>to be learned and the grammatical structure is...
and the grammatical structure is known to a child by default)
forgot to finish

As someone who literally has brain damage this book gave me so many feels.

Too many milennial buzzwords, makes you come off as mentally handicapped

Stop posting here. You've done absolutely nothing to back your claim up. If you know something we don't, how about you prove it?

This desu.

Is this for real?

Meditations, Marcus Aurelius

Nope, what said is right, free your mind