Fuckin dropped. Make a fraction.

I didn't make this.

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
24(12)
now can we be done with this shit thread

kys

no point in even attempting this garbage

>look at me being a retarded troll trying to convince people i actually believe in a different factually incorrect answer! Aha!

2*9 = 18 / 48 = 0.37 + 3 = 3.37

Too retarded to do it?

>look at me taking a gun and shooting myself in the head

48 / 2 * (9+3)
PEMDAS
= 48 / 2 * 12
LEFT TO RIGHT
= 24 / 12
= 2

You are in fact the brianlet

>It's an OP posts a childish math question intentionally to get a debate going knowing full well that people will settle on two answers: one which is technically right, the other an answer that people of certain disciplines will get based off repetition

Pemdas fags will get 288, higher math students will get 2. 288 is technically right, but if you've spent any amount of time doing calc or diffeq you'll get 2, since any logical math problem will have your rewriting a problem to make it easier.

The only right answer is to fuck off, OP.

MULTIPLICATION DOESN'T TAKE PRECEDENCE OVER DIVISION REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>24/12
what the fuck you moron? is this bait?

48/2= 27
26*9=234
234+3=237
Everyone else got it wrong,this is what happens when /pol/ retards infect a board.

i get 288. am i a brainlet?

>left to right
>does the right first
What did he mean by this?

79.77 RADIANS OBVIOUSLY BTFO

google.com/#q=48/2*(9+3)

That's a grammatically incorrect written problem

It should be written:
(48/2)(9+3) or
48/(2((9+2)

288. When two operations are at the same tier, you go from left to right.

no its not cuntm just use standard BEDMAS or PEMDAS. retards just dont like to follow rules

This.

>Brainlets get 2.

That's because brainlets see the "2(" and they think that it has the same precedence as something like "sqrt(".

But they're different. "sqrt(" indicates the application of a function. "2(" indicates the application of multiplication. Functions and multiplication are at different precedence levels -- and so the order of operations is different for the two cases.

But the truly remarkable thing about the brainlets on Veeky Forums is that they see this same goddamn thread posted over and over and over, and they will inevitably see many explanations (like mine above) that not only explain the answer but also explain the reason for the confusion -- AND YET, despite seeing this explained dozens of times -- they still don't understand it.

I can understand someone not understanding this the first time they encounter it. But WTF is going on that prevents so many 4channers from being able to comprehend this after having seen so many dozens of threads about it? Is there something about Veeky Forums that's causing some kind of mass mental retardation among its readers or something?

>higher math students will get 2

That is incorrect.

>if you've spent any amount of time doing calc or diffeq you'll get 2

That is incorrect.

Just because a student learns higher levels of mathematics doesn't mean that they start doing basic mathematics incorrectly.

A higher-level math student will still be able to understand that 2 is being multiplied by the parenthesized expression that follows it, and so will apply the appropriate precedence rule for multiplication.

A higher-level math student will NOT see "2(9+3)" and assume that it's analogous so something like "cos(9+2)" and then try to apply the "2(" as if it was some kind of function. Higher level math students know the difference between applying functions and applying multiplication -- and they know that those two things have different precedence.

And for those who are the very highest level of understanding, they will eventually see that "PEMDAS" is incomplete, because it fails to include the precedence rules for functions (like cos(x)), postfix operators (like the factorial "n!"), and others.

It didn't in his solution.

There really isn't a proper method to do this problem, it's written to be vague about what the question is actually asking.

Multiplication by juxtaposition is often given the same precedence as parentheses, fucking autist.
>pic related

You don't use the divide symbol in algebra senpai, you use fractions.

Rewrite it using fractions.

Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

>48 over 2(9+3)
>not 2

user, I...

you made a mistake buddo

you divided 48 / 2 then divided again when you should have multiplied

Obscure, but relevant.

>Multiplication by juxtaposition is often given the same precedence as parentheses, fucking autist.

That is incorrect.

Parentheses always have the highest level of precedence, and no other operator is ever allowed to be at the same precedence level as parentheses.

You will not be able to find a single reputable source that claims that any operator has the same or higher precedence than parentheses. In fact, the whole purpose and design goal of using parentheses was to guarantee a strictly higher precedence level than all other operators.

For more information about this, consult a computer science textbook that covers data structures, and look in the section on expression evaluation. Also, a computer science textbook on programming language theory will often cover this as well in its discussion of syntax trees and parsing.

48÷(18+6)
= 48÷2(9+3)

= 48÷(24)
= 2

Seriously, it's this simple.

problem is, is the devision symbol defining the equation as 48/(2(9+3)) or (48/2)(9+3)
we dont know because its a fucking retarded symbol that i havent used since elementary school

/thread
Everyone else here is a retard trying to fool themself and others that they're not retarded.

nope retard. just different notation.

>42/2(9+3)
>42/(18+6)
>42/24
Twos cancel twos and fours cancel fours.
The number is determined by the act of calculating and does not exist independently

>48÷2(9+3)
>48÷2(12)
>48÷2•12
>24•12

You need to complete the parenthesis first.

48/2(9+3)=x
48/2(12)=x
24(12)=x or 48/24=x
288=x or 2=x
Why are you acting like there's a unique solution when you've been told since high-school this is not always the case?

What is this form of autism?

>48:2 (9+3) = 48:2 * (9+3) = 48:2 * 12 = 24 * 12 = 288
Am I doing it right lads?

There's probably a good reason why we all stopped using division symbols starting high school.

every single reply to this post preceding mine is retarded

What the heck makes you think you have any sort of claim to authority?

What do you use instead?

this format has always been retarded

No.

48/2(9+3)=s
48/2(12)=s
48/2*12=s
three numbers in order: {48,2,12}
two operations in order: {/,*}
two solutions:
s_1 = (48/2)*12 = 24*12 = 288
s_2 = 48/(2*12) = 48/24 = 2

48÷2(9+3) = youtube.com/watch?v=azEvfD4C6ow

>Replies: 54

The 12 is never in the denominator

For anyone who says 2: rewrite a * b-1 * c without changing the order of the constants.

For anyone who says 288: can a/bc be written as a/b*c ?

For anyone who got anything else: what number comes after 1? Is it 2? Good boy*. That's enough learning for today.

*Or transcendental yet rational number. I don't judge. Sorry for assuming.

Fucking bullshit computer ass fuckk damm.

a * (b^(-1)) * c

>288 factorial
Nice try, Bagger.

As someone who literally just started studying Algebra I & II, this thread pisses me off.

Not an answer

9+3=12
12(2)=24
48/24=2

>post ends with 288
>youtube 288
Amazeballs

9+3 = 12
48/2 = 24
24×12 = 288
Why is this even a thread

Because some people will look at that formula and see 48/(2(9+3)=X as opposed to (48/2)(9+3)=X and there are some people who would write that like the formula in the OP so it's not even unusual for people to interpret it like that.

Moral of the thread is that you should use additional syntax to ensure that there is absolutley no confusion when it comes to order of operations involving division.

the result is a superposition of both 2 and 288 at once

My brain prefers to see that as 48/(2*(9+3)) but I know python will see it as (48/2)*(9+3)

reminder that order of operations is a spook

Who the fuck uses the ÷

Order of operations ect.
Pick up a book sometimes /x/,its is not that hard.

parens are such a problem, aren't they. Let's dispense with them by using Distributive Property.

Let x=48÷2=24
That gives us the following after distribution
9x + 3x

By substitution we then get
9*24 + 3*24

Which unambiguously gives us
216 + 72 = 288

If you somehow got 2, you failed some pretty basic algebraic concepts.

48 * (2^(-1)) * (9+3) =
48 * 2^(-9) + 3 =
3/32 + 3 =
99/32

ill let you off this time but dont ask Veeky Forums to do youre homework for you

There are two ways you can write it if you did it properly and used a fraction.

[math]\frac{48}{2}(9+3) = 288[/math]

[math]\frac{48}{2(9+3)} = 2[/math]

Now, considering you said "brainlets get 2", the answer you want is 288.

The bottom way is wrong. (9+3) is a separate term... why would go with the 2 in the denominator?

because he's a brainlet.

Not him but it's more intuitive to me. I don't care if you think I'm a brainlet. I look at it and I see 48/(2*(9+3))

>LEFT TO RIGHT
That's not a rule of mathematics, it's a rule for calculators you idiot.

>algebra
>with no symbols/variables

1+1/1(1)^1 = 2 is not an algebraic expression.

>is division symbol defining

PEMDAS, left to right through the expression.
Parentheses first. No subsequent parentheses. Exponents are all 1. No multiplication or division. Addition occurs, no subtraction present.
Exponents next. Exponents are all 1, inconsquential.
Multiplication and division next. Equal precedence, operations occur as written from left to right.
Addition and subtraction next. No qualifying operation present.

48 / 2 x (9+3)
48 / 2 x 12
24 x 12

PEMDAS. Multiplication and division are of equal precedence, so are performed left to right. The "possibility" of a 48/24=x solution is the result of an error when reading the original expression, not a valid calculation.

>3 numbers in order, 2 operations in order, 2 solutions

1 direction, left to right. 1 solution.

The rules, i.e. that PEMDAS thing, specifies the order of calculation. I do not know of any rules specifying the representation, the way to write the expression.

I have always interpreted a(b) as (a*(b))
if I want to specify a*(b) I'd write a*(b)

What I'm saying is that I always do implicit multiplication before using either operand of said multiplication for anything else, but always after evaluating the operands (possibly expression(s) in parentheses) to a value.

I'm not a math guy so, I'd appreciate it if someone would point out if and why this is wrong.

>brainlets

You mean people who went to school.

The 2 is part of the number contained in the parenthesis, so multiplying the 2 out is the first step.

OP's equation is ambiguous, and there are no real-world scenarios where you'd have to actually make that distinction beyond old people on Facebook raging about common core math.

There's no reason to assume a notation means another. It's either represented with that notation or it's not.

At the end of the day this thread is just an argument of whether or not you sold left to right. Fact is the real answer is there is not one right answer and if they want one they should notate the problem properly.

no it isn't.

>being this bad at math that you have to create mathematical rules to justify your stupidity.
Is this bait?

Stop being fucking stupid. Its 48 divided by 2 sets of 9+3. If a waiter came in and said "chef, we have 2 lines of 9+3 people waiting for their pizzas" and you cooked 48 of them, would you give them 288? No, you'd give them 2 each. Fucks sake.

Thats a different problem.
The problem in the op is (48/2)(9+3).
the one you just said is (48/(2(9+3)).
Please get your head checked out user. Unreasable anger is a sign of brain damage and low intelligence. The answer to the OP is obviously 288 by just using the standard mathematical rules. Getting the answer of 2 isnt correct no matter how you look at the op's problem.

Brainlets post in threads like this one.

>brainlets post in threads like this one
>posts in this thread
Hmmm

This is intentionally written to add ambiguity.

Hmmmmmmm......

Thank you.
I'm curious about common core. Curious enough to have recently ordered some books on the subject.
Does the old way of doing things have a name other than old/traditional/archaic? If I give the option to input expressions in either notation, what would be the correct name for the old one?