How good is Veeky Forums at geometry?

The tangents are pependicular

What is being asked here?

Area of the polygon created by the straight lines, I would assume.

32?

nope its 48 but I cant figure it out

is info missing, or does the distance between O1 and O2 not matter?

Yeah right its 48.
The circles intersect orthogonally.
So just join o1 and o2 with the top point of intersection of circles, and you get a right triangle with o1o2 as the base.After that it;s just figuring out the area of a prallelogram by dropping a perpendicular from 01 to B02. Done.

That's 12.

They are meant to intersect orthognoally I think.

I'm going to say a prayer for you

No it isn't.

What do you mean by intersect orthogonally?

Is this what you mean?
I get 52 as an answer them

He means he pulled additional information out of his ass.

What the fuck is this

Not enough information

It has one of the most retarded descriptions I have ever seen (its from a university test)
I think they are trying to say that the tangents of the points where the 2 circles meats are perpendicular to eachother because thats the only obvious thing they can give to help
Even if that is the case does that mean that if we connect the 2 centers to a touching point that will make a right angle between the radius's

I fucking hate geometry.

6AB

Then you can't add (or multiply).

(4x8) + (4x8)/2 = 48

>meats
oh no

Holy shit I am retarded I for some fucking reason thought 4x8=36
is correct
thanks senpai

If you can get the side length between points A and B, you guys win!

Not enough information. You can choose any length for O1 to O2.

Not if the circles are intersecting orthogonally.

>The tangents are pependicular

That's not helpful information. Every tangent to a circle is always perpendicular to the circle's radius at the point of intersection -- no exceptions.

The problem is unsolvable without knowing some additional information -- for example, knowing angle O1O2B or O2O1A.

Since we don't know the angles, we're free to assume any value we want for angle O1O2B. So imagine orbiting B clockwise a little bit so that its radial line is almost perpendicular, making the angle O1O2B slightly less than a right angle (let's say 89.999 degrees). The tangent line would then make a much smaller angle to the line O1O2, which would then require circle 1 to move a very long distance to the left in order for O1A to become half the length of O2B (as required). As a result, the quadrilateral O1O2BA would become immensely larger.

So I propose a different problem: Let's define theta to be the angle O1O2B. Given theta, and given the fact that O1A=4 and O2B=8, what function of theta yields the length from O1 to O2? That would be an appropriate problem for a high school trig course.

Yeah it's 48.

You're making the assumption that the two circles are perpendicular where they intersect on the bottom. This goofy OP hasn't specified that much, so we have no clue.

>The tangents are pependicular
Why don't you fucking learn how to write in English? If I were related to you I'd be ashamed you're browsing Veeky Forums instead of attending primary school. Learning the meaning of; tangent, perpendicular, circle and intersection is shit you'd learn at around age 11.

English isnt my native language so you can suck my dick
I corrected myself here I hope you dont have any offspring so if there is even the slightest chance of your kids being such assholes as you are its gone

Dat Solidworks, legit or pirate?

>You're making the assumption that the two circles are perpendicular where they intersect on the bottom.

oh fuck im dead.

Give me one example of two circles that do not intersect perpendicularly. Please.

these tangents aren't perpendicular
therefore the circles aren't perpendicular

What book do I read to get good at questions like this?

ohhhhhhhhhh i see

But we're talking about one tangent line here.....

fucking brainlets who dont know how to add two radii

They thought the intersection points of the circle weren't guaranteed to create a right triangle.

prove that they are :^)

ALL I SEE ARE A PAIR OF LOPSIDED TITS