Super-recognisers and prosopagnosia

Hows it feel to be odd? I'm a super recogniser, I never forget a face.

Why did evolution not make everyone have super recognition? Wouldn't being able to remember faces be an advantage? I can see why forgetting faces would be a disadvantage.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3904192/
bbk.ac.uk/psychology/psychologyexperiments/experiments/facememorytest/startup.php
journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0103510
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That isn't how evolution works
As you won't die from not being able to remember all faces you reproduce and have kids with the same gentics.

The same applies in reverse you don't mate more because you can recognise faces.

Also unless this ability is common in your family it is just a mutation anyways

>Does it improve chances of reproduction?
If yes - evolutionary pressure.
If no - no evolutionary pressure.

Tell me, has the ability to remember faces got you laid ever?

Actually now that you've put it like that, probably works as a good party trick

facial recognition = bitches?

It got me laid once when I added a girl on facebook who I met a few years earlier, she was all proud that I remembered her.

I think it would aid in remembering enemies and remembering allies, that'd keep me safe, and allow me to reproduce without getting killed prior to.

Afaik I'm the only one in my family with it, I'd never considered that.

could've helped your ancestors identify friend/foe
maybe you descended from peoples that were often at tribal war
viable mutations generally don't change much and wouldn't influence you so specifically so this had to be the result of selection + mutations
just guessing

man that sucks. you got the most useless superpower ever

Another time I met a girl who I had seen on Facebook and I knew which uni she went to so when I was talking to her I dropped that in there cause I'm retarded, she asked how I remembered her and I had to make something up so I said I always remember tall blondes. She grinded on my dick later.

Another time I met a girl at a party I'd seen on Facebook, and told her her name when I was drunk and she was obviously freaked out and got very far away from me, hahaha.

cool story bro

>Ask if it aids in reproduction
>Get assmad by autism when I tell anecdotes of it being used

Cool suicide asap bro

Researched super-recognizers last summer and am publishing a conference paper on them. Ask me anything.

This is the premier paper to read to get you started:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3904192/

Are you from the University of Greenwich where I did that online test that took forever?

What are the best ways to benefit from it? I know police use it and that's about it. Surely there's other appications that are financially rewarding.

No actually, even though most research comes from across the pond. Was the test you took the Cambridge Face Memory Test by chance? That's the one I point people to to test their ability.

bbk.ac.uk/psychology/psychologyexperiments/experiments/facememorytest/startup.php

My advisor was a big forensics guy, so that's the only use I really know of. I can't recall if any papers suggested any other uses really, and I can't think of any.

Could you sum up what it is, and for what purpose peaople still have it?

Do mostly people decended from tribes have it mostly?

What are some off the top of your head benefits of having it?

Yeah that's the test I did. I was bored one night and googled something like "I never forget a face" and found links to super recogniser stories in newspapers and then found the test; decided to see whether I was just imagining I had this skill or not. Turned out I did have it, which was cool. Turned out it was useless, which was not cool.

What do you think about it being racially based? I found that really interested that I couldn't use the skill on different races.

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3904192/
>Our findings demonstrate the existence of people with exceptionally good face recognition ability, and show that the range of face recognition and face perception ability is wider than previously acknowledged.
It doesn't talk about all that, it just looks into the existence of the ability.

from the paper:
>Do super-recognizers form a distinct group? We have no evidence that their face recognition processes are qualitatively different than normal. It seems more likely that super-recognizers are simply the high end of a broad distribution of face recognition ability. Though the cut-off is likely arbitrary, we believe it is relevant that the people we tested arrived independently at the conclusion that they are much better than average.

So maybe you're just like a facial recognition savant and it has less to with genetics.

> We have no evidence that their face recognition processes are qualitatively different than normal.

If that's true, which it may well be, it could be that my memory is different and at the end of a normal distribution, but also paired with contextual memory (say versus rote learning which I can do but it involves effort whereas this is literally effortless.)

It's contextual memory, I'll remember the person from a place, then what I know of them, all the information associated with them.

This might be obvious but I recognised left was the kid I had seen in Almost Famous on the right right. It's probably not that impressive but the same thing happens in real life where I'll recognise an adult I knew as a kid.

Turns out face recognition exists on a standard distribution of ability, like a lot of natural abilities (athleticism, intelligence, etc). Super recognizers are at the top.

Psychologists have separated out two "facets" of face recognition: Face Memory (can you recognize the taco bell cashier from last week?) and Unfamiliar Face Matching (here is a driver's license and a profile from a mugshot. Are these the same person?) People tend to perform at a similar percentile on both of these seemingly unrelated tasks. Super recognizers are, of course, at the top for both.

You are better at recognizing faces of your own races, actually. It's called the Other Race Effect.

That would have been significant in 2009 in it's own right, since the study of these guys is really new. This was the first major paper dedicated to super-recognizers IIRC. It also confirmed that they're really good at face perception (unfamiliar face matching) and face memory, e.g. they aren't just really good at one thing.

Whether or not super-recognition can be trained is one of the biggest question regarding super-recognizers, since obviously it would be great if regular people can be trained to be as good as the super-recognizers in the Scotland Yard. It looks like they can't be though.

journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0103510
Here, they test passport officer's accuracy at face matching. No correlation with employment duration at all. You'd think you'd get better at working with faces the more you do it, that doesn't seem to be the case.

>has the ability to remember faces got you laid ever?
Yes.
Perhaps other things factored in though.

I'm positive I get a perfect score until the glitchy images appear. I still get a 86-90% score but damn those fucking glitch pictures are a fucking pain, man.