Lit newbie here and I'm retarded

Lit newbie here and I'm retarded

Just read book one of the Iliad, so is Achilles now fighting for the Trojans? Why is one side referred to as the Greeks when they're both Greek?

what translation?

how about you read more to find out you fucking idiot

This is the story of Achaean Greeks fighting Trojans, who live on the shore of Anatolia. Even today the one side is Greece and the other is Turkey

Fagles. I get that Thetis prays for Trojan victory but I feel like I'm missing some link between Agamemnon and leaving the Achaeans
Didn't they have relations though prior to the nine years of the war?

>Just read book one of the Iliad, so is Achilles now fighting for the Trojans?

No, what made you think that? He's with Agamemnon's army, he's just refusing to fight. Actually it's more like he is caught between two equally strong duties, duties that for him are so strong and "objective" that it's like he's having to choose between killing his mother or killing his father, and he can't make either choice.

Achilles also lives in an eternal present, where there is no "progression" through time or past-future line of events, but a static "now" that draws upon a living legendary past. That's why his dilemma, to choose between an anonymous life in the now and an eternal "life" via glory, is so strong - because to the Greeks both of these were "life," and they were supposed to be intertwined (your natural life is supposed to be establishing your glory and so your eternal life), but for Achilles they have been split, in a way that's basically incomprehensible for him.

>Why is one side referred to as the Greeks when they're both Greek?

The Greeks are the Akhaians or Achaeans, the Trojans are "racially distinct" (not really the right term, more like culturally distinct) but culturally similar in a fundamental sense. The Iliad story precedes the Ionian colonisation.

>globalist so confused by ethno-cultural boundaries he can't understand the distinction between separate Nation-States
Leftism kids. Not even once

>nation-states
>pre-18th century

>implying I didn't mean to type City-States

This is what happens when you start with the greeks, you get confused as shit.

that's a pretty neat pic

Where have you been reading about the Iliad?

OP here, thanks. On book five right now, this is pretty great

Murray, Dodds, random shit, Koselleck, Hartog

because most of those tribes didn't influence the U.S. in any notable way

any history book will mention the important ones like the iroquois or the cherokee

I should have said to ignore the meme words.
Not a part of what I was trying to convey.

>because
No. It's never mentioned because they are to be considered illegitimate in the eyes of our legal system. This is bleedingly obvious, and yet you spout this mush-mouthed crap about influence. They are a conquered people and so we stomp all over them to this day and claim a legal right to do so, no matter what treaties are signed.

>Poor punctuation
>Has no idea what leftism is
>Can't tell the difference between "nation-states" and "city-states"
The right-wing, kids. Not even once.

Is fagles in prose, if so does it even matter that im not reading in Homer's original poetic format?

>so is Achilles now fighting for the Trojans?
He doesn't go to fight the Trojans till the end of the book because he's fucking at Agamenon since he stole his waifu.

You aren't going to get Homer's poetic format unless you learn ancient Greek.
Pope made it into English poetry, but that's just shoe horning our rhyming over their hexameter

Nations that are subjugated and destroyed are illegitimate by definition.

Public schools in the U.S. are multicultural as fuck, it's hammered into our heads that white men are genocidal demons and everyone else did nuffin' wrong. I spent like half of 2nd grade making longhouses and putting on a play based on a native myth.

>I have speshul secrut nollug
>I are the vanguard that will save the white race

All laws and nations are a farce