Other urls found in this thread:

thepiratebay.org/torrent/7637815/Ancient_Greek_Language_Learning_Pack
youtube.com/watch?v=qI0mkt6Z3I0&t
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Learn modern Greek then work backwards

Buy a textbook and work through it.

Which textbook?

Why would you want that?
No, seriously, m8, you live in a world where everything that was ever relevant is translated, and you speak the global lingua franca

There are a number of forms of Ancient Greek, among them Homeric, Attic, and Koine, so one starting point is what you want to read.

Hey guys I just wanna learn how to pronounce Greek correctly, and really it's just so I can impress girls and enjoy my Sappho poetry. I don't need to know how to understand it, just to be able to read it so it sounds right.

LESSON ONE

ΠΕΠΕ

Some guy posted a huge google doc filled with language learning pdfs a couple of days ago and I distinctly remember seeing Ancient Greek in there.
Look in the archive for it, can't remember which thread but it's there

JACT 2nd edition

Always learn Attic first

Go look up what they use in the schools or something. Just pick one, and if you find that it doesn't suit you, pick another. I only know German textbooks so I can't make specific recommendations.

No one pronounces Ancient Greek correctly because the original spoken language was tonal and we can only really guess at reconstructions of how it worked. When you learn Greek these days, you learn to interpret accents as stresses, but they were originally tonal shifts, like Chinese has. No teacher will really give a fuck if you are trying to sound all fancy and roll your rho's when you read passages out loud, or pronounce deltas as halfway between a "th" and a "d," or whatever. As long as you have consistency in how you use them, you can sound however you want.

Teachers generally don't even care if you pronounce Latin all fancy-like with rolled r's. My teachers didn't even care if we pronounced it like medieval Latin.

Anglophones pronouncing all vowels as diphthongs is slightly annoying.

spotted the anglo

How close is modern greek to ancient?

Why do you guys hate the master race so much?

why do greeks totally spazz out when you suggest that modern greek sounds different from ancient greek?

Sometime in the first few weeks after Veeky Forums was created some guy who posted OP's pic recommended pic related.

I immediately ordered it, but I procrastinated for a long time. However since September I have been autodidacting hard a few hours every day, and I have come to enjoy studying it for its own sake.

I haven't tried any other books so I wouldn't know if I am doing it the hard way, but I am getting results out of this one.

Yesterday I was having fun reading the first book of the Iliad in the original meter, but unfortunately my comprehension is not quite at the same speed as my reading is. I can feel myself getting closer and closer every day though.

If learning Greek is something you want to do, I definitely suggest at least trying.

Because modern Greeks, those swarthy half-arab mutts, still like to think they're one in the same with those ancient Greeks. They still like to think themselves the creators and of Western civilization.

why?

just read translated bro unless you're a pseud

I'll just leave this here...
thepiratebay.org/torrent/7637815/Ancient_Greek_Language_Learning_Pack

translations are imperfect, every language has words and grammatical constructions unique to itself. if there's any work you really want to understand, it must be read in the original

that's just cause professors don't want to turn people off from studying classical languages at all
the reconstructions aren't just guesses, they're based on hundreds of years of research

some of them are still real greeks. but yes, the majority, even in ancient times, were the remnants of primitive tribes that had been conquered and enslaved

same thing with ancient romans/modern italians, ancient chinese vs. modern chinese, etc.

For anyone interested in what Homer sounds like in meter,this video is excellent. He sings the scene where Hector returns to the city to see his family for the last time.

youtube.com/watch?v=qI0mkt6Z3I0&t

Suck some cocks and it will come to you naturally.