Meat consumption

What are your thoughts on meat consumption?

>On the way that I'm thinking, it seems that the massive production of meat for our needs is, from an evolutionary standpoint, advantageous for the prey as the species is being perpetuated thanks to our actions.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/MQvEu6G-i_0
nature.com/nature/journal/v531/n7592_supp/full/531S12a.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

who are you quoting?

that's just me

Meat is yummy.

We eat far too much of it though. Need to cut back in order for food production to be more sustainable.

Ever wonder if species (like the consumers) ever evolve themselves into a dead end which inevitably leads to extinction? Essentially they get so good at consuming their surroundings that they go beyond ecological boundaries and destroy their habitat?

Cattle could never survive in the wild now. So once the consumers are gone, so are they.

True, we also need treat it better for consumption because the meat that comes to the market is still too rich cholesterol

>>On the way that I'm thinking, it seems that the massive production of meat for our needs is, from an evolutionary standpoint, advantageous for the prey as the species is being perpetuated thanks to our actions.

You're legitimately retarded. Consider suicide

this, basically

Some types of evolution are detrimental to long term survival.

If you assume that most of our means of production focus almost entirely on generating income, making the production of meat irresponsible from an environmental standpoint, that could totally happen.

point out why

I propose a new name for humans, people, humanity, etc:

"The consumers"

Economists would be ok with this.

kek we all came down to it anyways

>advantageous for the prey
This is retard-level thinking. What is advantageous for the prey? Promulgation of their species? Well-being of the individual? Wtf do you mean? Does a cow give a shit if there are 30M other cows in the world or if it's the only one? Eating meat leads to larger populations of domesticated animals (no shit, sherlock). Perhaps this is what you meant

Ya, essentially "survival of the fittest" isn't so great, when the most gluttonous "consumers" are deemed the "fittest".

What a sick culture... Check out all the bankers in poll telling everyone how essential they are for humanity (the consumers) and that's why they get to wear $1000 suits and eat $70 steaks.

Something that is advantageous for an species is something that tends to perpetuate it

but you hadn't said that yet?

Obviously humans domesticating animals perpetuates their species. This is so obvious it doesn't need to be said. What's your fucking point? Does anyone argue meat is good because it increases the populations of certain animals (which don't contribute to wellbeing of an ecosystem and which aren't particularly happy relative to wild prey)? God damn brainlets, get off of sci

Step 1: Remove corn subsidies
Problem solved.

As soon as the true cost of beef is the price humans pay, they'll adjust their behavior and treat it as a luxury.

I think we can turn to more sustainable forms of meat production and keep everyone happy but it will be difficult.
We definitely have to cut down on meat consumption because the way we produce meat is unsustainable but with better practices, GMO animals, artificial meat (lab grown) etc we can still have meat around for whoever wants it.

I wasn't arguing that meat is good I just asked for your opinion on it and whether or not my thought made sense, there's no need to be harsh

totally agree

Hey man,

I'm the guy who keeps posting about "the consumers".

I think you are literally too stupid to understand my point about evolution leading to a species getting itself into a dead end that leads to its extinction.

Also, you are too stupid to understand:
You are exactly what I am talking about. You are one of "the consumers". You may have 10 or 15 retarded children, and in your mind you think you have "won" the evolution game because you are out-breeding everyone. But in fact you are evolving yourself into a trap (in a lot of ways similar to cattle), that will inevitably lead to a very ugly extinction event.

The sad part is that obviously "the consumers" have an advantage over regular, honourable humans because they are willing to consume whatever it takes to overcome their enemies, even if doing so might lead to serious long term consequences.

Humanity was a mistake.

>does purposefully perpetuating a species perpetuate the species?
Please don't be harsh guys

but i'm also the person that agreed with you.
Also, my diet is balanced and I don't have any children

Here's an idea: lets GM some plants so that they produce all the necessary proteins, minerals, carbs etc. that humans need to consume. Then later, get rid of meat production and associated food for live stock.

That line of though makes sense but we also need to invest in the mass production of B12 as it can't be produced from plants

>mass production of B12
Do you know how easy this is? Bacteria produce huge amounts of it. A year supply of B12 for one person costs $0.12.

Things the consumers have been known to say

>need to invest in the mass production
>A year supply of ___ for one person costs $0.12
>muh thorium reactors yeh
>earth can support 19 trillian of humanity (the consumers)
>etc etc

kek

Not a terrible idea but it won't go over well with the public. Also, by that philosophy there's a lot of shit we could get rid of right now but society just isn't that utilitarian.
That should exist though. We could have our super plants and then meat will be like beer.

In which country is this cheap like this? From where I am from a pot of B12 is like 8 dollars. I mean, it is cheap but not that cheap

Here's an idea: lets GM some plants so that they produce all the necessary proteins, minerals, carbs etc. that humans need to consume. Then later, just get rid of meat production and associated food for live stock altogether.
forgot pic

You retarded fucuking communist.

How else are we suppose to grow the economy?

kys

So super potatoes?

Also Animorphs got weird.

It's stupid and should be stopped. It's already stopping but it will take a while before the culture around it phases out.

>tfw no qt3.14 pineapple gf

That sounds gay as fuck, even if I could everything from a plant, I'd still want to eat animals.

Misuse of green text.

Meat is perfectly fine to consume but I personally believe that the animals we do consume should at least live a somewhat normal life in a plain like 90% of farm animals do before slaughter. The Mcdonalds "meat factories" although a bit overexaggerated, are definitely something that should not be.

Cattle survive in the wild all the time

If you are specific ally referring to fair cows, why do you think they are incapable of returning to the wild

You are too stupid to understand evolution and if you can't understand something as simple as the basics of evolution, you have no right to refer to someone else as stupid.

You brainlet

The current rate of meat consumption is driving antimicrobial resistance

Personally, if I was a cow I think extinction would be preferable to mass subjugation and slaughter. So no, I don't think it's advantageous for the prey, they live lives not worth living just like OP.

Sadly, until we get vat grown meat working, space colonists will have to be vegetarian.

Capturing animals and raising them so that you can kill them, is gay as fuck compared to going out into a forrest with a bow and arrow and killing an animal single handedly.

Living in some fancy box that somone else built, is gay as fuck compared to building a box yourself.

Typing letters into a machine that displays those letters to somone else across the world, is gay as fuck compared to traveling the world to meet people.

You're gay as fuck compared to any other primate. A gay, skinny, weak little hairless tooth-pick that needs fancy tools just to live.

I remember what it was like being 14 and on the internet for the first time, it was gay as fuck.

i wouldn't eat meat tbqh. too bad my body rejects most vegan food.
sucks to be me but oh well

As it pertains to consumer economies it is ecologically unsound and an evolutionary trap. It's fine in socio-ecological contexts but doesn't translate into most if not all market economies.

It doesn't matter that you don't like people.

LOL heterosexuality btfo

>economic growth=overall well-being
The consumer are wage slaves and money laundries that turn capital into wealth for the global elite. We should meaningfully work to make our own lives. If we are going to have a market economy atleast make it something other than a capitalist shit factory. Privatization needs to stop, that's the problem capitalization, not consumption.
You are thinking of an evolutionary trap. I prefer the term de-evolution to patronize deVo, the great artist-prophets that sacrificed themselves for our well being.
Check this out for learnings
journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fevo.2017.00003/full

youtu.be/MQvEu6G-i_0

This thread is becoming retarded, I can barely understand OP’s english or what he is trying to imply.

B12 is found in animals because they are dirty as fuck not because HURRR WE SUPPOSED TO EAT BACON XD

how would a fat american get in that car? with a ladder?

B12 is found in animals because it serves as an essential cofactor for enzymes such as methionine synthase. Herbivorous animals have cecal/ruminal microbiota that synthesize the active vitamer. Humans lack a rumen and our cecum is vestigial.

nature.com/nature/journal/v531/n7592_supp/full/531S12a.html
>The micronutrients in meat have become an essential part of our diet over millennia. A few years ago, archaeologists in Tanzania unearthed fragments of a child’s skull dating back 1.5million years. Deformities on the bones suggested that the child had died from porotic hyperostosis, a condition thought to result from a deficiency in vitamin B12 — found exclusively in animal-derived foods. Humans started eating dairy products only in the past 5,000years, meaning that the child had almost certainly died from a lack of meat7. So, by at least 1.5million years ago, says Domínguez-Rodrigo, humans had become so adapted to eating meat that without it they would die.

What do you get out of spreading misinformation?

My thoughts are that meat consumption is immoral. But I like my meat more than I like to think I am a moral creature. So I continue to consume meat.
It's the main reason why I watch the cloned meat research closely. I would love to see a day when we can eat all the meat we desire without any animals harmed.

Why would you want a pineapple gf

escalator, hydraulic lifter mechanism. something of that sort.

CTRL-F "dairy"
only one found

Googling doesn't provide a real clear consensus, but apparently dairy cows have to produce at least one calf a year to keep giving milk.
Dairy cattle live about 4-5 years before "retiring" to Taco Bell.
This massive pyramid scheme should only work if a lot of the calves are going to the slaughterhouse much sooner (usually about 18 months of age).
So if you want milk and cheese, the invisible hand of the free market is going to make steaks and hamburgers.

>apparently dairy cows have to produce at least one calf a year to keep giving milk.
that depends on the type of cattle breed. some even give milk all the time without.

>muh moralistic trash
I'm guessing anprim or illiterate environmental activist.
People function the way they do because of their conditions. Pretending that we can just be ecologically sustainable because as a society we don't want to be "consumers" is Utopian nonsense. You have to change the conditions of society and the best way of doing this is to organise in a different way, such that we can confront a challenge, not by whining about mass production and consumerism

does she ever plan to get pregnant in the near future?

Our entire diet can trivially be made vegan so unless you're a psychopath you should just do that or explain why it's just to stab a cow to death.

Remember, food consumption is not an argument for stabbing innocent animals.

Looking forward to seeing hurt feelings over the facts I'm giving and no actual arguments.

>Remember, food consumption is not an argument for stabbing innocent animals
Tell that to the lion

I like the taste of meat. I think that's the only argument I really need

>talks about muh poor animals
>complains about other people using feelings
hahaha what a faggot
morality is a spook

i think you're just upset you were duped into not enjoying the succulent taste of a rare steak while people smarter than you saw through the meme, and now you're stuck lest you want to come across as a hypocrite

fuck you already got a lot of replies but i want you to know i've seen through your weak bait

Impressive. Still got me an okay amount of (You) s.

>meat is delicious
>agricultural animals are definitely better off on most farms than in the wild, where they don't receive medical care, get brutally mauled by other animals, copulate painfully, and live in constant terror. Farms aren't perfect but are better for cows, sheep, pigs and chickens that
>however the current model includes many "factory farms" of inhumane conditions in America and other third world countries, which are worse off than being in the wild.
>it is costly in terms of land and water to produce meat.
>a lot of meat, and indeed food, in the first world goes to waste.
>meat should continue to be consumed, but the industry could really stand to see reform to factory farms and food waste.

Wrong again, retard.

If you don't think a culture of consumerism
>look at muh expensive shiny baubles yallz!
is partially to blame, then you're just another one of the consumers rationalizing one more donut.

Engineers can stick whatever meat is necessary in their mouth if they get the job done

The only ethical and morally 'good' meat option for a person is meat grown from their own cells.

We already know that the plan is to on some scale grow organs for replacement, why is meat any different? Depending on the speed at which it can be grown it might not be outrageous to assume we can create a 3-4 lb (1.3-1.8 kilo) package of "you" meat each week.

Less rivers of blood and shit for PETA to blather on about, still get to eat meat (if you so choose), and no ethical quandary because there aren't any nerves or pain whatevers for you to hear about to try to be guilt into.

The sooner we get there and economies of scale get the price down, the better.

I'd feed you my meat

>muh culture
>tribalism
How are you going with changing that culture then? Which concrete steps are you taking? Culture emerges from material conditions you dumb fuck

It's not advantageous for them in a meaningful sense if it means living in shitty conditions.

Imagine an alien civilization farming human beings with this same logic to see how retarded your argument sounds.

I think their argument is based on the fact that cattle are forcefully inseminated.

Homosexuals love it

It is unhealthy, this is how anti human people hide their underlying belief, there are less than ten types not contributing to international monopoly trends and maintain their top 5 place of most hated and consumed product

>too much meat
Gotta eat big to get big

People probably eat too much meat and the quality of what they eat is usually low.
Meat production is also pretty damn expensive or at least cattle raising is.
It would probably be to societies benefit to diversify the species we use for livestock a bit more.
That said meat as an industry isn't going to stop any time soon no matter how many vegans whine about it.

>This is retard-level thinking. What is advantageous for the prey?
Continued existence in a world where their natural habitats are gradually receding to human development, insured genetic lineage,a life of relative comfort and health compared to their ancestors.
Cows would have probably gone extinct alongside most other megafauna by now had they not been domesticated

Fact? Oh that is fucking yale level right there. cattle country gentleman here. Bulls fuck heiffers. Its a real thing, shocking fr a genius like you Im sure

>Googling doesn't provide a real clear consensus, but apparently dairy cows have to produce at least one calf a year to keep giving milk.
You can't find it on google because it's an incorrect hypothesis you retard.
Mammals are capable of producing milk as long as their hormone levels are right, and dairy cows have been selectivly bred over the course of millennia to have ideal milk producing hormone levels from the time they reach reproductive age to almost the time they die, they don't have to be pregnant.
>Dairy cattle live about 4-5 years before "retiring" to Taco Bell.
Dairy cattle are not slaughtered for meat
since by the time they stop producing milk the quality of their meat is usually below industry standards.

As opposed to giving consent?

cows have no cencept of any of those things
>Cows would have probably gone extinct alongside most other megafauna by now had they not been domesticated
that depends, a lot of megafauna have gone extinct because of human activity

How do either of the things you said refute my points?
Cows don't need to have a concept of those things to benefit from them.
>that depends, a lot of megafauna have gone extinct because of human activity
That is my point though, we would have wiped them out were they not useful to us.

> It would probably be to societies benefit
Fuck society.

oh I thought you were saying something else
yeah we really did a number on the terrestrial megafauna
maybe could've domesticated all of them instead of hunting them to extinction

A lack of selection pressure is kind of a bad thing for a species. We do the selecting not nature so modern day cows are far from adapted to the wild.

>shocking fr a genius like you I'm sure
Well fuck you too. I'm just reiterating what I've heard to better illustrate their reasoning, however flawed it may be. Some vegans say it's rape.

>(...) "factory farms" of inhumane conditions in America and other third world countries (...)

Made me chuckle

>Our entire diet can trivially be made vegan

>a life of relative comfort and health compared to their ancestors
Are you serious?

This. Veganism is healthier, better for the environment and most sustainable, even for those lacking a moral compass. Enjoy the salty tears, user.

veganism is permeated with pseudoscience like permaculture
so fuck veganism, if you wanna save the environment do your research

>MUH FACTORY FARMS THAT ONLY EXIST IN THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES

Sorry I'm not retarded, I do it for the environment and my well-being

Explain otherwise.

>Have the agricultural skills to waste on meat
>Have the ecological skills to waste resources on meat
>Have the technology to transport meat without spoilage
>WE NEED TO EAT LESS MEAAT OMGOMGOMGOMOMG
You're fucking retarded.

It's not sustainable though.