Waking up podcast

His "scientific" podcast has more than 70 episodes.
Did you get anything useful from it? I can't think of a single thing.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theaetetus_(dialogue)
samharris.org/podcast/item/forbidden-knowledge
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the only thing i learned is how being the jewish son of a jewish socialite and hollywood producer with tons of connections with other wealthy jews will land you a phd without ever having to do any research, book deals for your subpar and unoriginal philosophical argumentations, fame as a tremendous intellectual and millions of dollars without ever working a day in your life

wew son

He's been caught shilling his garbage on /pol/

Wouldn't be surprised if he came here.

>t. buttblasted peterson fanboy

I tried listening to some of his interviews, but they were all low quality phone calls, so I turned them off right away. I refuse to listen to low quality content.

His interview with David Deutsche is fantastic.

>harris

Stopped reading there.

Why?

>useful

Define ''usefulness''

And what did you learn from it?

Like an answered question or a solved problem. Something final.

Because all the cool kids do it

I dont know about Harris and I've only heard bad things from him (and the fact that pol cucks seem to love him for some reason doesn't say much good)

But perhaps you should drop these notions of ''usefulness'' when looking into, well, philosophy (or any other thing, really).

No reason to miss the point by jumping into this realm with the intention of ''gaining'' something.

I dont know what the fuck this ''Waking up'' Podcast is or why this man has adopted such a title for his work. But you did say its a ''scientific'' podcast or something on ''science''.

If you are having doubts with him, go for something where you cant go wrong.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theaetetus_(dialogue)

>No reason to miss the point by jumping into this realm with the intention of ''gaining'' something.
People like you are reason why people hate philosophy and think it's only "clouds".

Please, user, no need to throw accusations or be aggressive towards others.

I'd argue it is not the case but the fact that people dont know what philosophy is and seek it with the purpose of self aggrandizing themselves, using these newly made tools as weapons to argue and prove others they are worth more.

Just chill user. Have a good night and good luck with whatever you end up doing.

SMOKE WEED ERRYDAY

source

>and the fact that pol cucks seem to love him for some reason doesn't say much good

Since when do pol cucks like a liberal jewish atheist? Kill yourself.

>/pol/
>source

So you heh subscribe to the Newtonian world view but, in my estimation, can't account for how truth is heh contingent on survival. Do you even rescue your dead father from the underworld?

I've been studying buddhism, yoga for several years. I have a decent understanding and practice of impermanence, non-attachment and non-self. About 4-5 months ago I went through a really hard breakup in which I had a hard time coping, ended up taking prescription pills too often to dull the emotions. About 4 weeks ago I got back into sitting/vipassna meditation, never having really dedicated myself to it in the past. I've always been consistent with yoga practice, however. Anyways, about 1.5 weeks into about 45-75 minutes of meditation a day, I smoked a bit of weed before meditating, this was a particularly challenging meditation, about 30 minutes in I started to see a blue and yellow bright halo, and completely connected to my inner self, had this absolutely profound experience that my inner conciousness was speaking to me and that the universe was a complete connected conciousness. I expreinced this for the next 3-4 days, having several experiences while meditating of seeing eyes, different colours, lights. I was basking in the fact that I was now fully connected to my higher conciousness, the universe, my ability to sit and be with myself was an amazingly freeing feeling. I had a realization that everything is connected, that the answer to all problems is love, that genuine connections are what joy is, and that I had been living fully through ego for years. My ability to connect and converse with others was better than ever, I was able to focus and remember things better than ever. I was also having extreemely vivid dreams, which I historically never have. The dreams were about past relationship's past partners, seeing myself holding onto these relationships.

They lasted about one week. When the dreams first started, I woke up on two of the mornings in complete misery. I felt like I was going through the worst breakup of my life. I'm not sure if I solely attributed my emotional turmoil to the dreams or it was a rationalization of my own inner processing. Either way, I cried the entire few days and shut out to the world. After a couple days, started to feel better, However now I notice my emotions/feelings/thoughts to feel heavy. I fluctuate betwen feelings of emotionally and physicially drain and contentment/satisfaction. I try and meditate on metta and practice compassion, as well as meditating on seeing things solely as they are without identification, and it seems quite difficult. I dont feel like I'm making as much progress now as initially, I read so much about being with this phase (I'm not sure if this is said phase), however I'm not sure.. I guess I'm just feeling a bit lonely in this right now and confused becuase I don't know anyone else that has gone through it. I have this strong desire to heal, work through the conditioning of my ego. I'm very aware that despite the feelings of lagging, to just be with it, continue my practice and trust this is the path I'm supposed to be on. I suppose I'm looking for some feedback. Do you think this stage I'm in is the "dark night of the soul"? I just wonder because I only had my "profound experience" a week and a half into the beginning of my vipassana practice.

I took my time to read through these posts and can only say that I have never seen such verbal diarrhea shat into a thread before with such complete indifference and irrelevancy.

His second podcast with Jordan B Peterson was very interesting. But that's because prof. Peterson is awesome and religion is the only thing that Sam has anything interesting to say about.

peter slayed this "dragon," and rescued the virgin society. and THAT'S THAT (so to speak)

stop being a pussy

Clean your room, kid

fpbp

You can prove it yourself. Go to pol ask them about this guy, make a thread or something.

You will be surprised.

Truth is open for interpretation

Sam has coauthored a book about reforming Islam and frequently rails against Trump. I don't think /pol/ knows, so let's just keep it between us.

Free entertainment.

Can someone give me a quick rundown on this guy?

here you go senpai

Truly a board of sub 95 IQ mongoloids

pretty much aligned with how Veeky Forums sees him

Hardly. /pol/ is a board of morons. Veeky Forums is not.

Also, take note of the gratuitous Peterson dick sucking in that thread. Probably some cross board shit posting going on as well.

Hell, /pol/ isnt even memetically intelectually consistent. Given that Peterson is a stupid fucking leaf youd think that /pol/ would be quick to call out the obvious Canadian dick suckers in the thread, but no, now its cool even though theyre some of the shittiest posters on the board.

>Veeky Forums is not
get off your high horse

Kek, it's so funny reading through a /pol/ thread where they're serious. The way they reason is interesting. Like, a child who knows how to express themselves well.

>Veeky Forums is not
instead, Veeky Forums is a board of autistic morons

winner are you

>Given that Peterson is a stupid fucking leaf
found the pretentious physicist who thinks he knows everything.

>literal /pol/ retard
>Implying /pol/ and /r9k/ arent the most autistic boards on the site hands down and share the greatest overlap

Peterson has some keen insights but relies too heavily on Jungian Archetypes of which any ideologue could use as a justification.

I tried, but it ends up being full of shit again

He has doubled my vocabulary

samharris.org/podcast/item/forbidden-knowledge
would like Veeky Forums's opinion on this one.

>In this episode of the Waking Up podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Charles Murray about the controversy over his book The Bell Curve, the validity and significance of IQ as a measure of intelligence, the problem of social stratification, the rise of Trump, universal basic income, and other topics.

pretty good stuff
It's a great example of how science and research has become incredibly politicized

Huh

The only thing I have read from this retard is the email exchange with chomsky where he gets fucking rekt.

I remember that. Chomsky never recovered from it.
>hurr durr hypotheticals is just apologia REEEEE I'm an intellectual and a linguist

I learned that race realism isn't silly.

He never worked a day in his life. He's been living off his multi-million dollar trust fund since he turned 18.

he has interesting conversations with interesting people, I wouldn't say it's a scientific podcast but he talks to a lot of scientists. Off the top of my head I remember his talks with

>the author of the Bell Curve
>Max Tegmark talking about AI, math structures and qualia
>J. Peterson talking about a bunch of shit

He's pretty good at holding a conversation and asking questions and coming up with scenarios that challenge whatever is being talked about, so that's why I enjoy it

This thread still being alive strengthens my belief that SAM HARRIS HIMSELF is same fagging.

He was caught doing so on /pol/.

What a loser. Sam this isn't reddit, get the fuck off our board you hack.

They seem to like Trump a lot though. All he had to do was say no I'm super serious I'm a republican now

I bet /pol/'s evidence for this is overwhelming.

This

I mean, good like with THAT, mannn.

I thought the whole point of listening to anything is to learn on a more general level, we also do this in academia, like I cannot completely recall every theorem I learnt in real analysis classes but it sure helped me open my mind on how to do mathematics.

when you listen to the guy, you will have some oh yeah moments, which you'll inevitably forget in a few days, hours even, but I like to think that it made you better in general.

absolutely powerful joe rogan tm

Fuck

I thought I was the only one thinking this.

>strategy stealing is a skill and requires creativity

can you read?

Yes.

>a child
>themselves

sort yourself out

>Everything and anything anybody posts is true and you're not allowed to contradict said truth or offer your own opinion thereafter

>making totally irrelevant assumptions on the question "can you read"
ya u r idiot